2005 Pathfinder: What would it take to fix this, worth it?

I have not spoken with anyone, so you know as much as I do.
I have not worked on any Nissans. Is a timing chain issue common in these? If yes, parts cost and labor time to repair?
The thing really is not in terrible condition given the age and mileage.

Attachments

• IMG_3087.jpeg
    IMG_3087.jpeg
    284.9 KB · Views: 139
  • IMG_3088.jpeg
    IMG_3088.jpeg
    216.8 KB · Views: 140
An 18 year old non-running truck is little more than scrap value. Maybe $600 or $700 so you can put another $2K into it? Why bother. Running examples doesn't bring over $3,000 so the juice ain't worth the squeeze.

On any deal like that, assume worst case: the motor is toasted.

So, see what used engines are costing from reputable JY's. Add at least several hundred more for hoses, fluids, filters, maybe a fan clutch or things like that.

Have a plan to do it quickly as good JY's will give you a short warranty, probably between 30 and 90 days. You want to get it installed and running to see if problems exist.

If it's an automatic, risk increases. If it's a manual, assume it at least needs a clutch.

Honestly at $1500 I don't personally see enough meat on the bone. At $1k, maybe. That's subjective -- everyone's risk aversion is different

On any deal like that, assume worst case: the motor is toasted.

So, see what used engines are costing from reputable JY's. Add at least several hundred more for hoses, fluids, filters, maybe a fan clutch or things like that.

Have a plan to do it quickly as good JY's will give you a short warranty, probably between 30 and 90 days. You want to get it installed and running to see if problems exist.

If it's an automatic, risk increases. If it's a manual, assume it at least needs a clutch.

Honestly at $1500 I don't personally see enough meat on the bone. At $1k, maybe. That's subjective -- everyone's risk aversion is different
I agree with this approach. Crawl under there and check for rust too. Then if you're comfortable doing a motor swap and have time on your hands why not knock on the door and offer $500 green cash now to get it off their lawn. Have $750 in your pocket 👍

If they put the trim model "LE" they are either looking for top dollar or just don't know how to sell cars. I suspect the latter. Let this car sit and stew for a little while then swoop in with your lowball offer.

It's going to need brakes from sitting, too.

Probably worth $500-600 in scrap if the cats are on it, so offer 650 and pay 750 like others said. Make yourself a neat little project. It sounds like it does run, since they offer you can jump it, so the motor's not completely trashed.

They arent getting 1500 for a vehicle with no test drive. 750 is probably reasonable if you’re up for all the TLC. 1000 if you just gottahaveit.

The search for cheap beaters continues......
Well not everyone feels the need/arrogance to pay way over MSRP for anything these days. I will gladly take a 10+ yr old ride over pretty much anything modern with the nanny/childish garbage seriously limiting DIY type projects.

Well not everyone feels the need/arrogance to pay way over MSRP for anything these days. I will gladly take a 10+ yr old ride over pretty much anything modern with the nanny/childish garbage seriously limiting DIY type projects.
There you go. We know the members on here are such good drivers they don't need any of the "nanny-tech".

There you go. We know the members on here are such good drivers they don't need any of the "nanny-tech".
Well I will definitely say I'll NEVER rely on it or benefit from it. I've been driving going on 40 yrs now in all sorts of locations from mega insane rush hour traffic in Philly to the tiny rural areas that have 1 lane bridges, roads so narrow there is no shoulder as in no room for error whatsoever. Have driven all sorts of vehicles in all sorts of weather and have never had even ONE accident. No issues backing up, parking, lane swapping, passing, etc. Simply because I rely totally on my instinct and observations around me at all times! I consider even basic cruise control to be such a waste in any vehicle, let alone all the lame big brother nanny garbage being pushed into vehicles these days. If YOU need to rely on technology to get by then by all means have at it, but I will gladly laugh at those that choose to rely on that over natural instinct/basic observation that never lets me down.

What if buying a car, new, for cash wasn’t a problem for someone?

Nothing arrogant about saying, hey, I’d like a car to just enjoy and drive.

No repairs.

No worries.

Well I will definitely say I'll NEVER rely on it or benefit from it. I've been driving going on 40 yrs now in all sorts of locations from mega insane rush hour traffic in Philly to the tiny rural areas that have 1 lane bridges, roads so narrow there is no shoulder as in no room for error whatsoever. Have driven all sorts of vehicles in all sorts of weather and have never had even ONE accident. No issues backing up, parking, lane swapping, passing, etc. Simply because I rely totally on my instinct and observations around me at all times! I consider even basic cruise control to be such a waste in any vehicle, let alone all the lame big brother nanny garbage being pushed into vehicles these days. If YOU need to rely on technology to get by then by all means have at it, but I will gladly laugh at those that choose to rely on that over natural instinct/basic observation that never lets me down.
You know, you already have a bunch of nanny-tech in your cars.

Does your car have a manual choke? No? Then you have some nanny adjust the fuel mixture for you?

Hydraulic brakes with vacuum assist? ABS, perhaps?

Complete nanny tech - all you really need is some cables and stout quadriceps to stop the car. Adjusting those four wheel, cable operated, Bendix drums with three shoes each is well within the abilities of any decent mechancic…

But you chose the softness of power brakes.

You probably have electric start, too…when you could just set the choke, open the manual throttle, and insert your hand crank... like a real man…. I mean, if you’re not turning over 300+ cubic inches by hand, you’ve embraced the nanny already with your electric starter motor.

And you’re just quibbling over the degree of how much nanny we each choose. 😎

Back