2005 Equinox - Greaseable?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Posted this question on the Mechanical section, haven't heard anything. We have a 2005 Chev Equinox, 39,000 km. There is a rattle in the steering column or suspension when going over bumps at low speeds. I'm told the ball joints, etc. are "lubed for life", but they look empty. What are they supposed to look like - plump like ones with zerks or empty looking ? Is there anywhere on this vehicle I can apply some grease to maybe eliminate this noise (joints, steering linkage, etc?) Someone did tell me that it might be the intermediate steering shaft that's rattling, but I want to make sure it's not a "lack of grease" issue also.

if you don't see any zerk fittings then it's sealed for life.

Get someone experienced to go through your entire suspension to see what is loose (and don't automatically assume that a sealed ball joint or similar is the culprit for a quality sealed ball joint can last in excess of 100+kkms easily,

p.s. sealed ball joints are encased in nylon inserts with a small amount of grease (you do not need a lot/excess grease to maintain proper lubrication on these joints). Unlike the older, metal-to-metal ball joints where in addition to regular greasing to maintain a very thin film of grease to separate the ball from it's socket, but also spring loaded to take on the slack as they wear.

it's the faulty intermediate shaft that GM has been installing for years...my dad had his replaced under warranty on his EQ. Every GM car has the issue and sorry to say the Equinox has been a money pit since his warranty ran out in October...[censored] thing only has 13k miles on it too...better buy an extended warranty now...GMPP is the best one avail for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back