2004 Honda Accord V6 10,800 miles Amsoil 0W20

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree, stepping back down to that range is more safe until you get the contaminants under control.

Amsoil starting Tbn is 12.1 and after 10k miles it's down to 1.3 so the oil is definitely getting spent fast.

Any fuel or oil adds used? What gasoline do you use?
I don't understand the sudden jump in the fuel dilution that even Blackstone is calculating. You say that mpg has been down 5-8% but compared to when? What mpg did you get during each interval? Have you had a fuel injector go south?

Originally Posted By: benjamming
Any fuel or oil adds used? What gasoline do you use?
I don't understand the sudden jump in the fuel dilution that even Blackstone is calculating. You say that mpg has been down 5-8% but compared to when? What mpg did you get during each interval? Have you had a fuel injector go south?

I suspect the fuel dilution issue has been there the whole time but never really showed up until I started pushing the OCI past 6-7K. The last two samples had significant fuel. From time to time I use some Techron. I have been doing that since I bought the car. I generally fill at Shell or BP

I don't keep a complete fuel log but every so often I will keep an average over several thousand mile trips. The mileage has been slowly drifting lower since I got the car. It wasn't anything sudden and I'm sure my numbers are not overly accurate. My feeling on this is just time on the spark plugs, O2 sensors etc (maybe I have been driving a little faster). Once I get around to replacing those items along with the timing belt and a few other things, I expect the mileage will be back to where it was.

Anyway, with the wear numbers, I'm not too worried about it. I just won't be doing any 15K OCIs.

Change the plugs Now!!! Changed them on my 02 V6 at 90k and 2 of the rear bank plugs were harder to turn than the front bank plugs. Get the platinum Ngk's at autozone and save $100 vs. buying them from your dealer. Use anti sieze. 6 years/75k is my pci. Hope this helps.

If I may make one suggestion, do not use platinum plugs on this J30 engine. They come stock with Denso Iridium plugs (the long life version) and run best with them. If you're one to check plugs on a regular basis then you might consider going with the slightly more efficient but shorter life Denso IK20s. Either way, you should be using NGK or Denso iridium plugs, not platinum.

My 02 V6 Accord came stock with NGK PZFR5F-11 plugs. I wouldn't run a Denso in my lawnmower.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: FZ1
My 02 V6 Accord came stock with NGK PZFR5F-11 plugs. I wouldn't run a Denso in my lawnmower.

I'm sure your engineering prowess is far superior to that of Honda (pffftt!...what do THEY know about building engines anyway?) so I'm going to take for granted that you've already authored and presented your point paper on why they should stop specifying Denso plugs in the Owners Manual and the Factory Service Manual for the 6th generation Accord.

Honda has been specifying iridium plugs in their new engines since either '03 or '04 when Denso and NGK came out with new plugs that would last 60k + miles so platinum would be a step in the wrong direction.

I could tease you more about your ignorant statement but I'll leave it at that.

Sorry,Pal. I have the original NGKs that I changed out of my Accord at 90k. The oem NGK Platinum plugs are supposed to be changed at 105k.

For those who think old plugs are absolutely the cause of the fuel dilution, I will go on record here as saying that Honda/Acuras will do this straight from the showroom floor. I have an '08 Acura TL that posted 1.9% fuel in a 5K interval ending with 10k total miles on the vehicle.

Fuel dilution deteriorates the plugs faster. I changed my plugs early because I did not want seized plugs at 105k,to get better mpg,and to have a smoother engine. I got all three.

Dunno. My oil smelled like gasoline at 10 months and 5k. I'm just going to try 6mos/3500 ocis and see how that works. Very glad I changed the plugs "early" at 90k as the rear bank plugs were tight.

Speaking from experience, I recommend that everyone at least pull each of your plugs to inspect or replace before your drivetrain warranty expires. This may save you a bundle of money. As mentioned previously, you may find a loose plug, seized plug, worn plug, or a spark plug tube that is leaking oil.

Also, Terry Dyson recommended that I switch to Shell V-Power instead of 89 Octane Shell in my 2000 Tundra V-8 to help with a 1.6% fuel dilution problem. My last UOA showed a much improved flash point and fuel dilution % (Blackstone 405F/<0.5%). Maybe slowing the burn rate by using a higher octane fuel in these Honda V-6 engines would help result in a more complete combustion too.

Also, Terry Dyson recommended that I switch to Shell V-Power instead of 89 Octane Shell in my 2000 Tundra V-8 to help with a 1.6% fuel dilution problem.

Would a higher Octane fuel really help? I've got the same issue, measured as high as 1.73% fuel dilution in a Honda Accord V-6, and Terry never mentioned running a higher octane. I believe he was collecting data on Shell fuels. He asked me to only use Shell fuels during a testing interval.

I can't say anything definitively about the higher octane helping, because there were several other things that I was tending to (new headers due to an exhaust manifold leak, new O2 sensors, Auto-Rx, and started using FP+ fuel additive). I will defer from talking anymore about what Terry said, because I'm not really sure if it is proprietary. Sorry. I do remember while re-loading rifle cartridges (especially magnum calibers), using slower burning gun powders would result in a cleaner/more complete burn. But choice of primers (spark plugs) was also a variable. I'm not certain whether this is a good comparison, but higher octane fuels will burn slower, and will also guard against pre-igniton (before it gets to the combustion chamber). What octane does Honda recommend for the V-6? They recommend 91 minimum for my S2000.

Interesting re the V power. My '02 Accord V6 manual says to run 87 octane. I usually run Shell Regular. No pre ignition problems. My "solution" is to try 6mo./3750 ocis with a low priced syn like PP and 6 yr.plug change intervals. NGK oem platinum replacement plugs,of course.

Originally Posted By: FZ1
Sorry,Pal. I have the original NGKs that I changed out of my Accord at 90k. The oem NGK Platinum plugs are supposed to be changed at 105k.

I would like to polietly point out that I do own 04 V6 and you do not. The factory installed plugs are in fact Denso Iridum. The Platinum plugs were probably standard in your 02 but I do not know because I don't own one.

Please be careful what you tell people.

Originally Posted By: INDYMAC

Maybe slowing the burn rate by using a higher octane fuel in these Honda V-6 engines would help result in a more complete combustion too.

My understanding is that the flame front propagation speed was about the same but the higher octane is a little more difficult to ignite so the flame front starts a few milisecond later.

Of course I could be wrong. I have been before.

junior,
you are correct (at least based on my talks with the boys at VP).
now, what we dont know is if there is a difference in the evap curve between 87, 89 (which is a blend of 87 and 93) and 93.
sometimes a fuel will have a 90% hook that really throws a monkey wrench into the mix.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back