2004 F150 5.4L Spark Plug recommendation

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am going to attempt to change out the plugs on my truck. I remember that some plugs perform poorly (bosch). What plugs would you recommend?

I think I'd use Motorcraft. Or you could use Motorcraft. Some folks might use Motorcraft. Did I mention Motorcraft?

Seriously, Motorcraft Platinum is the way to go.

Are you aware there is a special procedure to remove the plugs on the 5.4l 3v engine? It is possible to break them in the process. As for plugs, Motorcraft has revised the design on the earlier plugs. So go with Motorcraft.

No reason not to use Motorcraft plugs here. Make sure you review the proceedure on how to get these out and follow it! Even then, don't be surprised to run into problems.

The back plugs are not even visible, but I have never paid to have someone change the plugs on my vehicles and I doubt I will now. Motorcraft it is. Thanks

Just make sure you blow out the plug well, before removal, or all that dirt will be in your motor.

On a side note, I see it was mentioned, Is this the 3valve motor, if so follow the ford procedure to a tee to remove the plugs, and leave them soak two days if needed. If one of those plugs break, and you don't have the removal tool, you will wish you let someone else do your plugs.

If it is not the 3valve then removal is the same as most other engines.

Follow the Ford procedure exactly and you should be fine. Generally the Motorcraft SP-507 plugs work best, however Champion does make a 1 piece plug that resists the breaking.

I have used Motorcraft,Autolite XP iridium and NGK Iridium all without issue.Ford has a TSB on the 3V plugs,you need to use never seize on them when re installing.
Remove the coils and soak the threads overnight with Kroil if possible to help prevent breakage.Crack them loose and tighten them,repeat while spraying a little kroil down there.

If one does break you will need a tool,this article describes the tools available and the different scenarios they are to be used in.Use Kroil instead of carb cleaner as they suggest,it works a lot better.
These plugs can really be a PITA,Ford gets $80 a plug around here plus a good bit more if it breaks,so it pays to give it a shot.

http://www.denlorstools.com/autoblog/2009/07/changing-ford-spark-plugs-46-54-68-ford-tsb-08-7-6/

I've had the Chapions in my truck for 25,000 mile and have had no problems. I ran MMO in my gas for a month prior to changing my plugs, and every one came out very easy. Of what carbon was on the plugs, I was able to wipe the carbon off with a rag. I did put the Nickel Anti-Seize on, per the TSB, on the Chanpions, as a precaution. You need to be careful not to get the anti-seize on the lower part of the plug, or you could create a mis-fire problem.

I follow this issue since my 06 Mustang GT has the problematic 2 piece plug. I thought the one-piece Champion plug was the solution but some people on the Mustang forums claim they don't perform as well. Others say they are fine. I think I'll go with the OE when I change plugs at 60k.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back