2001 VW Jetta TDI

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone know anything about the 1.8L VW Diesel from 2001? Does it have any common problems or quirks? I'm thinking like bad injectors, leaky gaskets, etc. I am looking at a 2001 Jetta with this engine and would like to know all I can.

This particular car has 165k miles on it. I know diesels in general will run forever seemingly and German Deutz diesels are awesome. VWs are German, are they just as reliable? I know there is a joke with VWs about their check engine lights coming on all the time. I'd love to own a diesel vehicle but I don't want to get in over my head either.

I know a bit about the 1.9L TDIs. DO NOT GET an auto tranny from before 2004.

If it was properly maintained (correct oil and filters at the proper intervals) and continues to be, they'll last many hundreds of thousands of miles.

With good fuel (and possibly with additives/small amounts of bio) nozzles will last 200K or more miles. Injectors themselves usually last longer, but over time they can get out of calibration and need re calibrated.

TDI Club is your best source for TDI info.

My 02 was the worst car I have ever owned. I would rather take my chances with Dex Cool, Cruise Control Firs and Engine sludge. PM if you want the details.

Originally Posted By: ls1mike
My 02 was the worst car I have ever owned. I would rather take my chances with Dex Cool, Cruise Control Firs and Engine sludge. PM if you want the details.

Dealer maintained? (most dealers cannot properly maintain a TDI here in the US). We rely on indie shops and people for care-and-feeding.

Maintained by be religously, driven by the wife mostly higway, I very rarely drove the pile, none of the issues were maintenance related.

80,000 miles of ownership got it new 5000 OCI with 505.01 synthetic oil that I would get on line.

2 auto transmissions
2 front wheel bearings.
4 Neutral park safety switches.
2 sets of injectors
1 set of glow plugs
2 injector wiring harnesses
Numerous interior pieces
The dreaded Carbon in the intake build up, twice. It clogs your intake until the car won't run and your MPGs get down to 30. It is a well know problem.
It spent so much time in the shop. There is a bunch of other stuff I can't remeber.
To top it off I had a local VW shop do the Timing belt and water pump 900 bucks for normal maintenance. I just don't get the timing belt.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back