2001 Toyota Tundra V8 - Nextgen 5W20

Status
Not open for further replies.
Finally my UOA on Nextgen 5W20 for this truck has came in. Wanted to check things such as

Increased wear with 5W20 since Toyota back-specd 5W20 in this obsolete V8 engine.
Can I push this oil slightly more?
How is Nextgen is this application?
Any HG/coolant leaks?

Quote:
It's been quite a while since we've seen a sample from your Tundra, but it generally looks better
here than it did in its first report nearly five years ago. Copper and lead improved nicely, and this was a
much longer oil run (4,553 miles compared to just 518 miles back in 2007). Universal averages are based
on ~5,800 miles of oil use. Slightly high bearing wear can be caused by something operational, like towing,
or maybe your engine just wears a little differently than average. We don't see any other issues, and the
TBN is good at 2.8, so this oil can stay in use.

Code:

MI/HR on Oil 4,553

MI/HR on Unit 118,963

Sample Date 06/17/12

ALUMINUM 1

CHROMIUM 0

IRON 3

COPPER 9

LEAD 6

TIN 2

MOLYBDENUM 56

NICKEL 0

MANGANESE 0

SILVER 0

TITANIUM 0

POTASSIUM 3

BORON 13

SILICON 9

SODIUM 280

CALCIUM 1766

MAGNESIUM 13

PHOSPHORUS 600

ZINC 748

BARIUM 0

SUS Viscosity @ 210°F 57.3

cSt Viscosity @ 100°C 9.44

Flashpoint in °F 405

Fuel %
Antifreeze % 0.0

Water % 0.0

Insolubles % 0.2

TBN 2.8

9ppm of copper isn't anything I'd lose sleep over. If it does worry you, you can try an oil with higher moly/zinc/boron content, such as MaxLife if you prefer Valvoline. Even though Maxlife also has low Zinc and boron.

You can also simply up a grade to 10w30 if you want, no harm no foul.

Last edited:
What kind of nextgen is this? Levels look high for the conventional but levels are a little low for Maxlife.

The slight bit O' copper and lead may be a slightly funky main or rod bearing, but it's nothing I'd worry about. Looking at the history comments it's getting better.

This oil looks pretty good. I'll be using it at my first change in my new F150 5.0L.

"...in this OBSOLETE engine"

I beg to differ: if your 4.7L V8 is obsolete, what about my 4.0L in the SC400? I personally think the early Toyota/Lexus V8's were (and still are, IMHO) one of the classic engine designs: as I recall they were consistantly listed in the "10 Best Engine" polls of the time.

Cheers!

p.s. Just because it was back-spec'ed, why not just go with the original 5W-30 that was recommended? The NG MaxLife in 5W-30 would seem to be an operative choice?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Norm Olt
"...in this OBSOLETE engine"

I beg to differ: if your 4.7L V8 is obsolete, what about my 4.0L in the SC400? I personally think the early Toyota/Lexus V8's were (and still are, IMHO) one of the classic engine designs: as I recall they were consistantly listed in the "10 Best Engine" polls of the time.

Cheers!

p.s. Just because it was back-spec'ed, why not just go with the original 5W-30 that was recommended? The NG MaxLife in 5W-30 would seem to be an operative choice?

I think he meant that the engine just simply isn't being produced anymore.

I also agree that just because it was back spec'd, doesn't mean you SHOULD run the thinner oil. I'd keep using the 5w30 if it was mine.

This engine has been superseded by the UR series engine, which now uses a timing chain. Anyways I like the UZ series engine, especially the 1UZ 4.0l 6bolt main all-aluminum engine. The 2UZ is a different animal though, with 2bolt main cast iron block.

I have a stash of 5W20 with Napa Syn 5W20 in the engine. Next OCI I'll probably run a 40wt oil.

I have a 2000 Tundra with the 2UZ-FE engine. When I read the Toyota TSB it didn't seem like they went all the way back to my truck for back spec on 20 grade oil. I thought the cutoff was 2007 for the 2UZ series.

This UOA looks confusing. I thought that NextGen (conventional), just like VWB, does not have any moly in it. 50ppm of molybdenum seems a bit too much to attribute to the leftovers from the of old oil. Then there is the viscosity issue. 9.44cst seems too thick of a 5W20, specially at the end of an OCI.

Are you sure this wasn't some kind of 5W30 oil, or perhaps your NextGen 5W20 was topped off with something else?

The wear numbers look good. Whatever oil is actually in the crank case, it's doing a good job. TBN suggest that the OCI could be pushed up a bit.

I agree with other posters, I would not run a 20 weight in this. These engines do not shed the lead like other engines. I do not think this is a good report at all.

Originally Posted By: Tones
I agree with other posters, I would not run a 20 weight in this. These engines do not shed the lead like other engines. I do not think this is a good report at all.

The 9.44 cst viscosity of this "20 weight" appears to be in 30 grade range for a used dino... This is not consistent with the previous observations of 20grade oils being in 6-9 range after some use. I wonder if the sample got "contaminated", swapped, etc.

Does anyone know where the lead might come from other than bearings? I did use a variety of fuel system cleaners and additives. I dumped a bottle of Techron one time and some month old gas with Sta-bil.

Originally Posted By: wirelessF
Does anyone know where the lead might come from other than bearings? I did use a variety of fuel system cleaners and additives. I dumped a bottle of Techron one time and some month old gas with Sta-bil.

Some fuel additives can cause lead leaching, especially with high fuel dilution. Be careful and don't overdose.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back