2001 Audi A4 (2.8L V6); German Castrol Syntec 0W30

Status
Not open for further replies.
2001 Audi A4 2.8L V6.

Mileage on vehicle: 40,000 miles
Mileage on oil (GC 0W30): 6700 miles
Oil in use for 6 months (Oct 24, 03 - Apr 29, 04).

Please note, from 30,000 miles to 33,300 miles, I ran Mobil 1 0W40 and then changed over to German Castrol Syntec 0W30 and ran it for about 6700 miles. Initially, I had trouble finding the GC 0W30 in Denver, CO.

TBN: 3.5

I will post the individual averages if you all want me to...just have to type them in.

Appreciate your thoughts.

If the image upload doesn't work, here is the direct URL:
http://surf.to/cnewton/gifs/audi-a4-oil-change-uoa-40k.jpg

-

[ May 11, 2004, 09:25 PM: Message edited by: rugerman1 ]

So As I live in aurora, just where are you buying GC???
frown.gif
Every Autozone on my side of town only carries the NA 0w-30.

I am afraid to give up my secret..:)

You might call them first, but they did have an excellent stock back in October.

2040 S Broadway
Denver, CO 80209
(303) 765-5844

I would be tempted to try a 40 weight, to see if it helps the lead number. The lead seems to have been helped a little by the thicker viscosity of GC.
dunno.gif

The dealer just put in Castrol (Belgian) 5W40 for this fill. I was/am debating on whether to change it out at 5K and put back in the GC 0W30.

The high lead number appears to have come from my use of BG-44K fuel system cleaner. I don't plan on using the product any longer.

[ May 11, 2004, 11:20 PM: Message edited by: Curtis Newton ]

Thanks for the info. But no need to worry about me. I'm currently running Mobil 0w-40 in my Passat 1.8t and just bought a case of Mobil 1 SUV to try after that. I just was curious.
grin.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Curtis Newton:
The high lead number appears to have come from my use of BG-44K fuel system cleaner. I don't plan on using the product any longer.

The report looked good except for the high lead numbers. Now, I understand why the lead was elevated.

quote:

I might note that this BG additive is another cause of the Redline reports

Terry, are you suggesting the BG is found in a higher percentage of RL UOAs?
dunno.gif

Yes,BG and many other brands,from the results you see here on BITOG.

As I stated before in another thread motor oils (including RL ) that get blamed for being the causal of "poor" oil analysis results are incorrectly blamed for other influences(maintenance issues) or adds that many times are not posted here.

Lots of posters post the results just to see what is said, without giving the real reasons for the issues.

If it is a customer I usually ask them to clarify but I can't force them, that is if I see it.

I know I put BG-44K in at 15K.....can't remember if I put it or the Texaco Fuel System Cleaner I got on clearance at Advanced Auto Parts. I know I put a second treatment in around 30K, just can't remember which and I forgot to write it down.

I might note that this BG additive is another cause of the Redline reports that we see with high lead seemingly unexplained.

This stuff cleans and cleans and cleans all the way through the bearing overlay
frown.gif

Oil brand really wasn't a issue in wear control based on interpreting this Audi.

Combine the BG add and hard driving and we see this result. Add dirt ingression and it really ramps up the Pb values.

Terry

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back