2000 Yamaha V-Star Classic 650

Status
Not open for further replies.
What a pain in the butt to check the oil level on this bike. I checked it yesterday and the entire window was filled with oil. Is this the correct level or does the bike have too much oil?

You should be able to see a level in the window.
Otherwise it would be overfull.

I've owned many bikes with oil check windows, including my current bike.

Best to check it while sitting on it. If level looks too high, try leaning the bike the other way enough so that the level will come down. If you lean it too much and still can't see the level, it may be over filled, and in that case, you could remove a little of the oil.

Turns out, not over filled, level wasn't high enough to register. Tilt a little to the side and you can see some oil. Does anyone know if the oil level gets too low if a warning light will come on? Window is so recessed on the bike it takes one person sitting on it and one person checking the level.

On my 2007 Yamaha there is no oil light. I just check mine once a week and keep an eye out for leaks. A good way to check it if you are alone is to invest in a moto rear swingarm stand and put the bike on it to check the oil. Works for me.

My window has two marks on it. One is high level and one is low level. I measure exactly how much to put in it according to the manual and it always is above the full mark. Never hurt anything yet.

Can you get down on the right side and safely pull the bike toward you so it stands just about perfectly vertical? That's where you want it for checking the oil. Anywhere between the H & L lines is good, and anywhere in the window is OK.

I can only see oil in the window when the bike is leaning over on the kickstand. The window is clear when the bike is vertical. The bike currently has Mobil 1 20w50 synthetic in it. Would it hurt to top off with dino Rotella T?

Do have a manual for the bike? It should tell you what position it is supposed to be in for checking the oil level. You shouldn't have to sit on it. If you don't have a wheel stand, you can get the bike close to a wall or some other immovable object and place a cooler or something between the bike and the wall to balance it upright long enough to take a reading. I do that to get a dip stick reading with the Valkyrie. When I do, I use a brace on the free side to keep the bike from falling over. It doesn't take much to keep it vertical for a few minutes.

There might also be a number casted on the engine block somewhere indicating oil volume required measured in ccs. I.e. 800ccs is 8/10ths of a liter. When you find out the bikes normal oil capacity, use that amount as your sight glass reference. When you know what the proper volume looks like, you'll be able to tell if the oil level is where it should be.

As far as topping it off with Rotella T, I'd do it. However, if the bike is new to you, I'd give it a fresh oil change and a good once over to make sure everything is in good working order. Particularly the brakes.

Mechanical maintenance isn't my strong suit, but I like to do as much as I can. Could you give me some quick pointers of what to look for on the bike? I do notice the front brakes squeak quite a bit. Also, when I apply the front brake, it feels like the front disc is an oval instead of a circle (doesn't feel like constant rate of deceleration) I started riding three years ago, but I still consider myself a rookie when it comes to all the odds and ends of maintaining a motorcycle. Not because of laziness, just ignorance. I appreciate all the help I've gotten thus far.

Manual says to have bike upright when checking oil. Ugh, what a pain. Had the wife sitting on it over the weekend, all 5'2 of her haha. No oil in the window while sitting upright. On my way to walmart for 4 quarts of Rotella T. This site has me sold on it.

Last edited:
Overall, the V-Star 650 is a very reliable and durable machine. From information you have provided, it sound like the brakes need attention. If that's something you cannot do yourself, I and many others would strongly suggest you bring it in to a competent motorcycle shop for an assessment at the very least.

Maybe the squeaking noise is nothing. Often it's just the way the pads interface with the rotor that causes squealing. Other than being annoying, it's usually nothing more than that. However, in your case, it sounds like you might also have a warped rotor. If so, you may want to start looking around on E-bay to see if you can come up with one. Motorcycle manufacturers like to make parts that are interchangeable from model to model. Chances are that there is a rotor available for your bike at a very reasonable cost. Do not pay motorcycle shop prices unless you have absolutely no choice. Their mark up is hideous.

If your brakes are good, you might want to bleed them and replace the fluid. If not, at the very least, check the fluid level and top it off. I'd be willing to bet that if your brake pads are extremely worn, your fluid level will low as well.

The bike is shaft driven so, you might want to inspect/change the final drive gear lube. Find out what viscosity it needs and buy a litre from an auto supply store. You can get first rate synthetic gear lube for a fraction of the price charged at a motorcycle shop.

While you're in the maintenance mode, pull the air cleaner to inspect/replace as required. Might as well change your spark plugs too.

How much wear is left on the tires? Have you checked the tire pressure yet? This is very important stuff.

Do all your lights work properly? Is your battery electrolyte level up to where it should be, horn working?

You might also want to put the bike on a lift and check the steering head bearings. Get the front wheel off the ground stand in front of the bike, grab the forks and pull/push to see if there is any play. If it's solid, you're good to go.

Motorcycling can be a great deal of fun. However, a poorly maintained machine can lead to disastrous results.

On 07 you have to check it vertical. You cant see the oil in the window at all when its on the kick stand. My manual confirms it.

Originally Posted By: Oil Hound
I use an inspection mirror on my 2001 650 classic. Works pretty well. Just park in the sun for plenty of light.

This works well for me also.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back