2000 Tacoma Pinging

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2000 Tacoma, V6 automatic with 99K. There are no codes in the computer. The check engine light is not on. The engine pings under slight acceleration and I feel a power loss as well. I have tried 3 different fuel stations, higher octane, fuel injector cleaner (Techron, Chemtool, MMO), and Seafoam through the intake with no change. Any direction would be appreciated. Thanks for your assistance.

Welcome to BITOG....

Maybe you could try a forced induction celaning service like the BG 3 step or Ever Wear. If you are pinging you may have carbon deposits on the pistons and in the cylinders. I would say start with a professional cleaning first and then use the Techron, MMO etc as maintenance to keep things clean. Red Line Sl-1 and Gumout Regane are my favorite fuel system cleaners. Both work great but they can't do much good if there is heavy carbon build-up in the combustion chambers.

Most tire stores and garages will offer some sort of fuel induction cleaning service. There may even be coupons on their web sites. I had Tires Plus do their Ever Wear service on my truck, it was $69.95 with a coupon I got from the Sunday paper. It helped some with a pinging issue I had and the truck definitely ran better and had more power and the MPG picked up a little. You can visit www.bgfindashop.com to locate a shop that offers the BG service. BG is a very good fuel cleaning procedure but I think it costs more than Ever Wear.

There is a post down in the fuel and fuel additives section about a DIY induction kit a guy saw for sale at a parts store too, I think he said it costs about $30.00. You might ask at Napa or some other parts stores about it.

If nothing works, get a UOA from Terry Dyson. He helped fix my pinging.

Try cleaning your MAF sensor, it's cheap and easy to do. This has solved a ping issue for me before.

+1 on SI-1 or Regane, maybe run back to back tanks w/ them.

How about choosing and installing the right SPARK PLUGS: factory recommended NGK or Denso brand cheap and simple plugs with the right gap?

Originally Posted By: Geo_Prizm
How about choosing and installing the right SPARK PLUGS: factory recommended NGK or Denso brand cheap and simple plugs with the right gap?

I forgot to add those to my list. I did change my plugs with OEM Denso plugs and cleaned my MAF sensor. With no change.

I will look into the cleaning kits.

Twisty_Bits, I am not questioning your choice, but just to be clear, are you sure you got the plugs with the right gap for your driving style and climate? It is a possibility that sometimes factory recommended plug gap (if your are) may not translate into optimum performance depending on the driving style (freeway driving only, stop-go driving only etc).
(2.7lt engine has a gap of 0,031 inch, V6 has 0,041 inch.)
I would not expect much from injector cleaning service.It is an easy and not a time consuming way to charge people for repair shops.

Last edited:
Do you have an EGR system on that car? They often cause pinging if they are sticky.
Running too hot? Also a great contributor. [coolant or intake temperature]
These may or may not throw a code, depending on h0w bad they are.
A good in tank cleaner is always a good idea, once or twice a year. Use a good strong Chevron Techron, or Gumout Regane, Redline SI-1, or Amsoil's offering.

Originally Posted By: Geo_Prizm
Twisty_Bits, I am not questioning your choice, but just to be clear, are you sure you got the plugs with the right gap for your driving style and climate? It is a possibility that sometimes factory recommended plug gap (if your are) may not translate into optimum performance depending on the driving style (freeway driving only, stop-go driving only etc).
(2.7lt engine has a gap of 0,031 inch, V6 has 0,041 inch.)
I would not expect much from injector cleaning service.It is an easy and not a time consuming way to charge people for repair shops.

My driving style is mainly stop and go, with some light towing on the highway (jet ski). Would you recommend trying a smaller gap.

Originally Posted By: mechtech2
Do you have an EGR system on that car? They often cause pinging if they are sticky.
Running too hot? Also a great contributor. [coolant or intake temperature]
These may or may not throw a code, depending on h0w bad they are.
A good in tank cleaner is always a good idea, once or twice a year. Use a good strong Chevron Techron, or Gumout Regane, Redline SI-1, or Amsoil's offering.

How would you go about checking the EGR operation?
The truck seems to be running at normal operating temps. I just flushed and refilled the coolant system about 10k miles ago. The pinging seems to be worse when the truck is cooler, decreasing some when the engine warms up.

What is working for me so far is a diet of Shell V Power which has 5 times the detergents as required under the Top Tier classification rules(premium); 2 bottles of Techron in the 10 gallon tank (Sentra) for the first (shock) dose; second and currently is running the same gas with one bottle only. So far no more pinging no matter how hard I lug it but I'm waiting for a hot day or what passes for a hot day up here before declarinig total victory, but it had never been ping-free as it is now. I have 2 bottles of Gumout / Regane and 3 bottles of Red Line waitng in the wings if necessary. By the way, I tried
Seafoam and it did absolutely nothing for pinging except make an impressive smoke show. MMO, ditto. So don't give up on the proper potions and dosages if deposits indeed are the culprit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back