2000 Dodge Caravan oil consumption

Status
Not open for further replies.
I own a 2000 Dodge Gr Caravan w/3.3L. Been running Mobil Super HM in it for a couple years now. This is not really in regard to the type or brand of oil, but I have a question about consumption. I have only 1000 miles on this new oil change. Have had a few days of 90 degree temps and several road trips and I just checked and had to top off with a half quart of oil. No leaks on the ground or anything. Is that normal given the temps, running the AC, etc? 129k on the odometer to. Should I consider a different HM oil than the Mobil Super?

No, it means something is wrong. You might be burning oil, if you have no visible signs of leaks. It could be the valve stem seals have gotten stiff by the number of miles you have. A compression check on all cylinders might be helpful. The stem seals on most cars and trucks wear and start letting oil seap into the combustion chamber by the time an engine has this many miles. Having the cylinder heads reconditioned with new stem seals usually works.

Is it the first time you've checked since the change?
I find that usually it's a tad low the first time after I drive and check after an oil change. I add a bit if need be then it stays fine after that.

Do you notice any grey smoke?

A half quart in 1000 miles, or a quart in 2000 miles is not excessive oil consumption by any means, especially in hot weather or long trips.

But, check your PCV valve for one. If it fails it may cause higher oil consumption. It could also be valve stem seals failing.

No smoke, no smell of smoke either

No, when I did the oil change I put a 5 qt container in. It takes the whole thing, always has. In the winter time it will rarely use as much, but in the summer it seems to use more, and more quickly.

A quart in 2k is nothing to really worry about on a vehicle that is 12 years old and has 130k miles.

If it bothers or worries you, just keep trying thicker oils to see if it fixes it...try a plain-jane 10W-40 next OC. Won't hurt in the summer.

Yeah...I didn't really want to make this about the type or brand of oil, but I am using Mobil Super HM which is a thinner HM oil. I'm wondering if Castrol HM or Pennzoil might be a better option?

It could, but also switching brands my cause higher initial oil consumption. I understand that you do not want your engine to consume oil. But some engines just consume oil. 1 quart in 2K miles in not high. You could try Auto-Rx, MMO(I do not recommend), change your PCV valve, use a heavier oil, or make a witches brew, and you can try all of the above. But given your engines pedigree you may have a consumer and no matter what until the engine gives out or you re-manufacturer your engine it will consume oil, sometimes it just happens, and the best you can do it check your oil level every two weeks and add as needed. Sorry sometimes not a lot can not be done to mask your problem.

If you are wanting to try a thicker HM oil, why not use the big daddy of them all , valvoline maxlife syn blend or full syn , based on availability and price. Right now AAP has maxlife nextgen 10w30 for $22.99 with a 20 dollar mir . See how your engine likes it ....

Why do some think 130k high miles? I guess the market decides that anything over 100k is high miles?

I had a 1999 3.3l that I drove out to 210k miles. Your oil consumption is average for the engine.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
the 3.3 is a good motor what weight oil are you using...that is still not a lot oil

Mostly 5w30... 10w30 in the summper. Been using Mobil Super HM..NOT because 129k is high, but I have minor oil seapage.

I have never used Super HM but I have found both Valvoline and Pennzoil HM do a pretty good job at cutting my oil consumption down. However as I said I dont think 1/2 a quart in 1000 miles is anything abnromal for these engines.

You're right about the Mobil HM being a thin HM oil.

The thickest is Castrol HM, the 10W-30 is 12cst, right at the 30wt cut-off. The new QS Defy is also thick, their 10W-30 is 11.9cst.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back