20-30 wt doesnt matter??????

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: yvon_la
why engine manufacturer ask for a 10 psi of oil per 1000 rpm is more the proper question!

When did this become a spec and when was this standardized across the board ?
13.gif

Last edited:
Terribly wrong? How so?

Please be specific since I run both a 0W-20 and a 5W-20 in both my Toyota vehicles, both of which specified 5W-30 from the factory. And I've done it for well over 100,000 miles in both. No abnormal consumption nor noise, only a noticeable improvement in cold weather operation.

Originally Posted By: Chris Meutsch
He's right if he means you can run a 5w30 in a 5w20 application.
He's terribly wrong the other way around in my opinion.

Quote:
i was in autozone this morning and the guy behind the counter told a kid my age

" 5w20 and 5w30 are the same in todays time, our oil is so good now it doesnt matter what you run "

Pay peanuts
Get monkeys

Originally Posted By: wemay

This^

+2

Originally Posted By: kschachn
Terribly wrong? How so?

Please be specific since I run both a 0W-20 and a 5W-20 in both my Toyota vehicles, both of which specified 5W-30 from the factory. And I've done it for well over 100,000 miles in both. No abnormal consumption nor noise, only a noticeable improvement in cold weather operation.

In a Toyota sure you can. But in an Audi or BMW that calls for a 5w30 I would defintely not run a 0w20 or a 5w20 especially a turbo'd engine

Well in my old BMW I can according to the chart in the book. Just depends on the temperature.

Originally Posted By: deven
Terribly wrong? How so?

In a Toyota sure you can. But in an Audi or BMW that calls for a 5w30 I would defintely not run a 0w20 or a 5w20 especially a turbo'd engine

Well in my old BMW I can according to the chart in the book. Just depends on the temperature.

Terribly wrong? How so?

Its not turbo'd like most new one nowadays

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
That's like saying that "all 5w-30 oils are the same". Well, if you look at the various mfg specs that they meet, I'd say they're not all the same.

Is the guy behind the counter willing to foot the repair bill if your engine warranty gets denied due to the use of non-spec oil?

The only truth in his statement is that modern oil is pretty good in general, but that doesn't mean that there aren't any differences between the various oil types and oil grades.

Never seen any engine problems from using the wrong oil weight within reason (up to 40 weight oils and everything in between) in my personal cars or anyone else's for that matter
Unless you're stupid enough to think running 75w90 gear oil in the engine won't do any harm

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: gtmaster303
Never seen any engine problems from using the wrong oil weight within reason (up to 40 weight oils and everything in between) in my personal cars or anyone else's for that matter

The point is, that employee said "our oil is so good now it doesnt matter what you run". If you just grab the cheapest mineral oil from the shelf and try to run it in your Mercedes (some of them are on 13K mile service intervals), then eventually you will see engine problems.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete

The point is, that employee said "our oil is so good now it doesnt matter what you run". If you just grab the cheapest mineral oil from the shelf and try to run it in your Mercedes (some of them are on 13K mile service intervals), then eventually you will see engine problems.

I agree with you entirely about the mineral oil, but this thread is specifically about oil weight. Not mineral or synthetic oils

No, he's just regurgitating what he's heard someone else say (who also knew nothing about lubricants).

Every lubricant, whether it be a spray lube, grease, transmission oil or engine oil has an application.

A good oil in the wrong application will do a lot more harm than a budget oil in the right application.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: BlueOvalFitter
18.gif
5W20 VS 5W30
38.gif

Isn't that what this site is all about?

Yes it is. And believe me, I am very guilty of beating the "HADES" out of those horses.
crackmeup2.gif

Can you explain how that makes a difference?

Because Turbo motors are not as forgiving as NA motors. But you already know this.

Originally Posted By: leroyd92
i was in autozone this morning and the guy behind the counter told a kid my age

" 5w20 and 5w30 are the same in todays time, our oil is so good now it doesnt matter what you run "

i bout nearly spit my water through my nose when i heard that. but now i have to ask, is there something im missing with the end wt of 5 base oils or was this guy very misleading ?????

An AZ counter guy makes a fairly sensible comment about current motor oils, and many here wnat to condemn him as a know-nothing fool.
The irony is that for most of the engines that most of us have, he's right.

Can you explain how that makes a difference?

Turbo's are VERY HARD on oil ... it is the nature of the component. Oil flows thru a superhot bearing spinning at ridiculous speeds, and gets the [censored] beat out of it doing so...and the engines tend to run hotter as well, being higher power density than a normally aspirated motor.

The WRONG oil in some turbo app's will shear down very quickly ... SUBARU is one manufacturer who has SHORTENED OCI's on all turbo motors, stating they are SEVERE SERVICE applications, period...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back