2 year old Maaco paint job with major issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.
This Mazda was re-painted at Maaco on the cheap, single stage, no clear coat, which is unfortunate. This paint job is about 2 years old. As with the many Maaco non-clear coat single stage disaster paint jobs I have been hired to "fix", this was a budget detail just trying to make the car look better than it does now. Not going for any where near perfection, after all, it's cheapo paint job.

IMG_6931_zpsc2192ff8.jpg
[/URL]

IMG_6939_zps81bf6576.jpg
[/URL]

IMG_6944_zpsc64290c0.jpg
[/URL]

IMG_6947_zps988c2afa.jpg
[/URL]

IMG_6952_zpsa53f1131.jpg
[/URL]

IMG_6966_zps10bb9fe3.jpg
[/URL]

IMG_6967_zps97896e22.jpg
[/URL]

IMG_6972_zps18e6c793.jpg
[/URL]

IMG_6975_zps080d2045.jpg
[/URL]

IMG_6979_zps7cdfc310.jpg
[/URL]

IMG_6980_zps5ff1ae1d.jpg
[/URL]

IMG_6991_zps6d51d492.jpg
[/URL]

IMG_6994_zps4482cdb8.jpg
[/URL]

IMG_7006_zpsc230ef63.jpg
[/URL]

IMG_7016_zps6f5010b3.jpg
[/URL]

IMG_7022_zps807b9b25.jpg
[/URL]

That is very impressive transformation, my guess is that its only short term fix given the bad paint job - very nice work anyway!

Looks great good job! but like you said just short term fix...I had maaco repaint my 95 accord (black) did the single stage paint and clearcoat mix for about 900. Looked good as long as i had it after the paint job (about 6 months) had a couple small chips on edges of doors and what not, and one small bubble. This person must have never washed or waxed that though, that looks bad, even for maaco. Car maintenance goes a long way.

Yikes!
Truly Maaco
Is that one of those $$199 super duper specials... could get it painted every few months then on the specials and get a good build layer to to make it super durable (thick) and never worry about rock chips, door dings, 12-gauge, grinders, forest fires, etc.
Amazing what the outcome is if not taken care of, and amazing how you made it look without a re-paint.
I have to say, the 1st pics, looks way better than one of my neighbors because he has almost no paint left. Its a very nice rugged coat of rust. Care-free outdoor vehicle to say the least. The only shine it gets is when it rains it has a little wet look.

Looks like you did a great job extending a cheap Mako paint job! I'd be pleased if it were my car.

Nice job saving that car!

Years ago I had MAACO shoot a work van for me which had a great body but dead paint, and some scratching from 18 years use as a work van. I took it to two MAACO shops for estimates, I wanted only the body shot and not the roof. One guy quoted me about $500 for the body only, and another guy quoted $500 with the body and roof, because that shop had a better rep than the other. He would not do the job w/o the roof. After asking around I ended up going for the body and roof. For once more work for the same price paid off! They did a great job which lasted a long time, even after I sold it. They used Sherwin Williams enamel, and told me never to use a cleaner wax on it. To just wax it after 60 days I think.

Single stage is the way cars used to be painted. You can buff to new paint every couple of years. In addition to choosing a Maaco paint job, the owner also chose to wash the car in the direct sun with dishwashing detergent, not bother to rinse it or seal the paint.

Originally Posted By: LeakySeals
Single stage is the way cars used to be painted. You can buff to new paint every couple of years. In addition to choosing a Maaco paint job, the owner also chose to wash the car in the direct sun with dishwashing detergent, not bother to rinse it or seal the paint.

My black Altima was parked near a pop-up lawn sprinkler that sprayed untreated (hard) water leaving so many water spots burned into the finish by Florida sun that I had the HOA send a legal request to the state to switch my spot to with another "guest" spot...it was THAT bad...kitacam is that ubiquitous sunshine desert sand tan color that isn't as bad, but I still try to remember to remove the morning dew before the sun bakes it into the finish...

Last edited:
I am lost for words. I do not understand FastEddie's business at all. Somebody who has that 1934 Mercedes as a customer does not need to cheapen himself to detail a two year old Maaco paint job.

I think I am not out of line if I were to ask what kind of budget the Mazda detailing job involved? I suspect it costs more than what Maaco charged! It might have been more effective for the customer to take it back to Maaco for another paint job rather than bothering with the detail by FastEddie.

To me it looks like the single stage paint is doing what single stage paint does if abused with dsh soap car washes and no wax protection??????

good job bringing it back to life!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back