2-stroke tranny oil / Red Line Shockproof

Status
Not open for further replies.
I called Red Line and they recommended their Shockproof oil for use in the tranny of my Yamaha Banshee which is a built for drag racing and has a wet clutch. Would anyone disagree with this or have a better alternative? The manual calls for a 10W-30 motor oil without friction modifiers. Would you expect any problems with clutch slippage? Their engineer said it would not cause slippage. I'm just looking for the best protection since it only used 1 1/2 quarts.

Down below is a 2 stroke tranny oil thread You might want to read. IMO and experience, I would not use any oil that can be used on a limited slip differential because of the wet clutch. ATF might be a little lite for Drag Racing a ATV. I would go with Bel Ray 85wt Gear Saver or Honda HP Trans oil. 80w/85.

Not ebnough viscosity to deal with gears banging into one another at high rpm and high load. I would use either a quality diesel oil like delo or delvac 1300 and change it often.

quote:

Originally posted by blsnelling:
The manual calls for a 10W-30 motor oil without friction modifiers. Would you expect any problems with clutch slippage?

Amsoil Series 3000 HDD is a great choice for this application as it doen'st have any friction modifiers and is a super tough oil.

Also the Amsoil 10w40 is antother good choice. I just wouldn't use a gear oil for this application. Heck I know some folks that use an ATF as well, with no problems, but again, I wouldn't do it when you can find a good synthetic motor oil that will meet the application that is called for.

If your going to stick with redline, Take a look at the 15w40 diesel oil. But I can't tell you if it has friction modifiers or no. The Amsoil does not.

I cnt really see the value of using a high end oil like amsoil or mobil 1 in a two stroke tranny since the oil is imedialty contaminated with clutch plate debris. I think it is better to use a xw40 fleet oil and change it often to remove these contaminants.

[ July 10, 2003, 09:50 AM: Message edited by: blano ]

quote:

Originally posted by tom slick:

quote:

I would not use any oil that can be used on a limited slip differential because of the wet clutch.

just curious, why?

A oil that will work on a limited needs to have wet clutch slippage (friction modifiers). I know of people that have used gear oil for limited slip and had no problems. I also know of some that have had problems in high load situations on dirt bikes. The Banshee's weight will tax the clutch even worse than a dirt bike.

From what I'am seeing on the dirt bike forums Moly needs to be avoided. Some of the MX guys and single track guys do sometimes start out in 2nd gear this seems to be where moly shows up as a problem in higher horsepower dirt bikes in a given clutch design. Street bikes have alot more surface area (holding power) on the clutch plates than dirt bike as a general rule.

My theory in wet clutch trannys is better to have a clean cheaper oil than a dirty expensive oil. Blano has a good sugestion to try the delo 400. See how it shifts ect.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back