2 steps forward, one step back

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've got 3 year old TPMS in a Chrysler that has never had any issues. I kinda like it, after I checked it a lot and found it quite accurate.

I don't think they're all as problematic as the previous poster leads us to believe.

And with really big wheels and tires it can be very hard to visually estimate the pressure. Sure you can notice while driving, but that's precisely what I wish to avoid!

It is a nifty technology, and I am sure there are plenty of folks who might like/need/use it as an optional item. The point is, we have NO CHOICE about having it on our cars now. You WILL have it and MAY NOT disable it under threat of duress. It's flat out Orwellian.

While seemingly insignificant, this is yet another area where the US govt. is exerting extra-constitutional power to limit our freedom. When does it end? When do we say enough? Mandatory automated tire pressure checkers - the concept is ridiculous. I can't wait to see what's next. It wouldn't surprise me if we see mandated OBD system satellite uplink for "emissions" compliance within a few years. Just a little tweak to the GM OnStar function and bang; Big Brother is watching you.

Originally Posted By: RKBA
Just a little tweak to the GM OnStar function and bang; Big Brother is watching you.

One reason why I bought a Chevy truck that didn't have OnStar.

These new OnStar systems that perform "checks" while you drive, and then send you an email with the results are already there. Why couldn't those test results be emailed somewhere else as well?

Does OnStar detect a problem that would result in high emissions levels? Ooops, that report needs to be emailed to the state EPA as well.

Next thing you know, a certified letter shows up in you mailbox, requesting a mandatory emissions recheck within 14 days, or your license plates will be suspended, along with a $500 fine.

Originally Posted By: mrsilv04
Originally Posted By: RKBA
Just a little tweak to the GM OnStar function and bang; Big Brother is watching you.

One reason why I bought a Chevy truck that didn't have OnStar.

These new OnStar systems that perform "checks" while you drive, and then send you an email with the results are already there. Why couldn't those test results be emailed somewhere else as well?

Does OnStar detect a problem that would result in high emissions levels? Ooops, that report needs to be emailed to the state EPA as well.

Next thing you know, a certified letter shows up in you mailbox, requesting a mandatory emissions recheck within 14 days, or your license plates will be suspended, along with a $500 fine.

No Kidding.

It's already here; I bet Big Brother will make mandatory monitoring capability a condition of the next bailout "loan" to GM. It's perfectly legitimate because, you know, it's for our own good.

TPMS on the spare? Will have to look into that for the upcoming 09 with TPMS.

I have a pressure gauge and use it often.

I've never had any issues on the Ford TPMSs. I've been using them since '04. I've only had a light come on once -- when I thought it was crazy (by visually checking the tires). After checking, 1 tire was at 19 psi -- compared to 30+ in the others...had a nail in it. I was a believer after that.

Originally Posted By: Drew99GT
Is there a way to shut the system off?

Probably will require a BCM reprogram. Even if it doesn't, if just one of the sensors goes bad, I'm taking them all out and [censored] them. The system is a joke.

In fact, all car electronics are a joke. Maybe I'll just sell the car and buy a 1970 Monte Carlo instead.

I hate the darn things!!! Every 5 degree morning, the light is "on" in every one of my cars. By afternoon when the temps grow to 30 or 40 degrees the light goes off.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back