2.5L Wrangler Missing at Idle

Status
Not open for further replies.
My 2000 2.5L has developed a slight miss at idle and only at idle recently. It runs fine at all rpms except while idling it has a slight miss ever few seconds. It has become very troubling as I can't seem to find out what the hell is causing it!

Here is what I have done recently to fix it......
1. New Champion Copper Truck Plugs #4412 gapped at .035
2. New Distributor Cap
3. New Rotor
4. New Sparkplug wires. Factory ones were arcing and I thougt that I had found the problem however it still misses.

My TJ only has 36,000 miles. If it were an injector problem wouldn't I notice it at other speeds? Or not have the usual power? Anyone run into a similiar problem? Any ideas?

The injectors may need cleaning. An injector that has a spray pattern changed by carbon can cause a miss at idle.

That would be the next logical step, I think.

Try techron by chevron. Get the big bottle.

Dan

A sticking EGR valve will give a poor idle. The valve is supposed to be fully closed at idle, but if it's sticking open that will cause your miss. If there is no MIL lit, then I suggest taking the EGR valve off and cleaning the carbon out of the pintle.....

Okay ..I agree with some of the above. The 2.5 in the 97-02 trim anyway doesn't have an EGR (cam overlap and ignition and injection timing leaves the spent stuff in they cylinder).

If you had a vacuum leak your engine would interpret it as an open throttle and raise the idle.

Try this: Turn the key ON-OFF-ON-OFF-ON (leave on) ..see if any codes appear on your odometer display. I believe if you have NO CODES you'll see "done" in lower case letters.

I was going to suggest EGR, but it seems Chrysler did the same to the 2.5 as it did to the 4.0l - cut out the EGR valve. On my '88 Cherokee with the 4.0, the EGR was a cause of a rough idle.

I'd go the injector cleaner route next. As stated, the big bottle of Techron Concentrate (not the Pro Guard) would be a good choice. It may be a case that there is enough other stuff going on that you can't feel or notice the same thing happening at higher rpms than idle.

For under $10, it can't hurt!

(For those who don't know, the 4.0L was built off of the specs of the 2.5l, which is loosely based on the old 4.2l. Thus, they share a lot of the same issues...)

quote:

(For those who don't know, the 4.0L was built off of the specs of the 2.5l, which is loosely based on the old 4.2l. Thus, they share a lot of the same issues...)

Yes, the 4.0 incorporated the better flow design head that the 2.5 had. This is a strange relationship between the two engines. The 4.2 was the start. The 2.5 came around in (hmmm 82?) ..they hacked out the two WRONG cylinders ....put a 1 piece rear main seal in it ..gave it a different bolt pattern (different trannies, t-case input splines) ..yet kept all the internal hardware the same (valves, rods, pistons, etc.) ..and yet somehow made a superior flow head ..that took a while to get to "big brother".

Go figure
confused.gif

Yep no EGR on this one. It does it hot or cold so I don't think it's an intake leak. The new wires, cap and rotor seem to be helping some as the miss is now happening every 10-20 secs and not every 5 seconds. Maybe the added spark from new wires is helping. I ordered a gallon jog of Fuel Power and will start with that when it arrives and will report back to let you guys know how it comes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back