1999 Pontiac Sunfire - PP & Mobil 1 Filter

Status
Not open for further replies.
On Sunday I changed the oil in my sister-in-law's 1999 Pontiac Sunfire (2.2L) with 209,000+. It doesn't seem to leak or burn oil which amazes me. When she first moved to the area I had her take it to Sears and have them use Castrol HM 5w-30 oil. That OCI was a little over 5,000 mi. I used a Mobil 1 Extended Performance filter so that I could do a 2nd oil change without changing the filter. I had heard that it was a pain to reach (turns out it wasn't too bad) and was trying to make things easier. I used PP 5w-30 because it seems to be the cheapest synthetic.

I am planning for a 6,000 mile OCI, then doing a "drain & fill" and then going another 4,000-6,000 miles prior to a full oil and filter change. The car is used for mixed driving. Any recommendations or thoughts?

Note: I had no idea what the previous history is other than it was likely conventional Walmart changes since she got the car with just under 100,000 miles on the clock.

x2. I wouldn't dream of paying good money for synthetic oil and then run it through a dirty filter. Otherwise, I think you're doing a good thing for an old soldier.

Quote:

Quote:

I would never skip changing the filter...

Never say never, if you are doing multiple D&Fs for ATF, you *can* skip the filter without hesitation and with impunity.

i know what hesitation is, its what im not getting by running PP but i have to idea what impunity means?.

I've got a 96 Sunfire with the 2.2, it makes at least 2 different, distinctive noises based on RPM's and temperature. I'm using Maxlife synthetic 10w30 and a QS oil filter. So far, in the past 4 months it's used less than a half quart of oil and I'm not exactly easy on the ol' thing. It still gets 30-32 average mpg. Best 500 bucks I ever spent!

with mine, I had oil leaks from the valve cover and rear main seal. currently, just the rear main seal. 1qt/3000 miles. but so far with the 15w40..0 with 600 miles on the oil.

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I would never skip changing the filter...

Never say never, if you are doing multiple D&Fs for ATF, you *can* skip the filter without hesitation and with impunity.

i know what hesitation is, its what im not getting by running PP but i have to idea what impunity means?.

ok seriously

im·pu·ni·ty Pronunciation[im-pyoo-ni-tee]
–noun

1. exemption from punishment.
2. immunity from detrimental effects, as of an action.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/impunity

Last edited:
Quote:

x2. I wouldn't dream of paying good money for synthetic oil and then run it through a dirty filter. Otherwise, I think you're doing a good thing for an old soldier.

If the filter will hold twice as much garbage as a stock one, then isn't it a waste to throw it away after a normal OCI? It seems that it could only be a problem if it gets full. I would agree that new oil and filter is the sure fire way to do it, but...

Whether it's full of garbage or not is only half the story for me. The filter holds dirty, additive-depleted oil that's just going to get mixed in with my new $6 per quart oil. That idea doesn't thrill me. There's nothing I can do about what's sitting in the oil pump, but since there is something I can do about old oil sitting in the filter, I'd just as soon buy cheaper (OEM) filters and change it every time. At $5 - $6 a piece, the filter costs a fraction of what my oil costs so leaving it on there wouldn't make me feel like I'm saving anything.

A quick update - My sister-in-law is about 3,000 miles into the Pennzoil Platinum/Mobil1 filter OCI and she told me today that she thinks her fuel mileage is a little bit better than before on conventional. I know she doesn't actually track the numbers, but something "significant" must be happening for her to even think to notice the change. I told her that it was a possibility, but not really expected. The bottom line is that the oil choice has been successful for her.

Last night I changed the oil on my sister-in-laws car for the 2nd time. This time I used Pennzoil Platinum 10w-30 with an oversize WIX filter. I called WIX and they gave me the part number for the larger version of the filter I needed. It fit great and I'm running 5 quarts rather than the specified 4 quarts. There were no problems with 4.5 quarts on the last fill so with the larger filter I just used the entire container.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back