1999 Mazda Miata under valve cover pics at 110k

Status
Not open for further replies.
looks like my MIL's 2001 CRV, drives just fine to this day with over 180k on the odo. drive with confidence.

If you guys don't care about varnish, why ever change the oil?

You might as well run 10,000 miles on dino if you don't care about varnish.

All engines varnish, you're splitting hairs and worrying about a complete non-issue. What you don't want to see is sludge, that's a sign that the previous owner just went all IDGAF - skipped oil/filter changes, ran the engine low on oil constantly, ran it hot on low oil, etc.

The only time my engines ever look clean is during assembly.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: dishdude
...and 110k less miles than the OP's pics.

That Honda Civic engine had 98,000 miles on it at the time the pictures were taken.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
If you guys don't care about varnish, why ever change the oil?

You might as well run 10,000 miles on dino if you don't care about varnish.

Seriously? The only reason you change your oil is to prevent varnish? FYI some engines can do 10,000 miles on dino without problems. The amount of varnish in the OP pictures was not a lot and wouldn't affect anything mechanical in that engine.

Great little engines that are almost as tough as an anvil. I beat on my '96 1.8L when the mood strikes with nary a whimper.

Wishing you many happy Miata miles!
smile.gif

Here's what an engine without varnish looks like:

Civic-1.jpg

ValveLash.jpg

2l-1.jpg

Holy cow that engine is CLEAN!!
11.gif
Is that yours Merk?

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
11.gif
Is that yours Merk?

That engine belongs to SXG6. I use those pictures with permission to demonstrate the benefits of frequent oil changes.
smile.gif

11.gif
Is that yours Merk?

That engine belongs to SXG6. I use those pictures with permission to demonstrate the benefits of frequent oil changes.
smile.gif

What oil/filter does he use,and mileage on oil changes? Apologies Merk if I missed those details in the earlier post.

What oil/filter does he use,and mileage on oil changes? Apologies Merk if I missed those details in the earlier post.

This is what he said:

Quote:
98,000 miles on the engine
2003 civic, 1.7l 4cyl
Oil changed every 7,000-8,000mi with 5w-20 full synthetic. Except i did 1 5000mi oci with mc syn blend, and 1 5000mi oci with castrol gtx.

I think ill stick to my current 7,500mi oci

And this is the original thread:

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/678974/1

11.gif
Is that yours Merk?

smile.gif

So the only benefit to more frequent oil changes is shiny metal vs coloured metal.......no performance differences.
With troops on the ground killing each other for the stuff I sure am glad they are,cause I can do more oil changes and keep nice shiny metal inside my engine.
Beyond absurd.
And the guts of every engine I own is clean inside,no varnish,and 10000 mile drains.
So will more frequent drains make my engines cleaner than clean or what's the scoop here?

Originally Posted By: Clevy
So will more frequent drains make my engines cleaner than clean or what's the scoop here?

That's my theory yes. My motivation for frequent oil changes is having a clean engine with no trace of varnish. You guys that don't mind varnish oughtta go 10,000 miles on PYB and forget it.

Originally Posted By: Clevy

That's my theory yes. My motivation for frequent oil changes is having a clean engine with no trace of varnish. You guys that don't mind varnish oughtta go 10,000 miles on PYB and forget it.

K. That's all well and good however every engine in my vast stable,from my charger,a c3,a z71 silverado,a windstar,a turbo capri,15 Honda powered sir compressors ,7 generators of various sizes,a 93 ford e150 with a 4.9,an e250 with a 5.8,a cube Van with a 7.3 and another cube Van with a 5.8,all of them running extended drains,and no varnish.
So I ask again. Will shortening my drain intervals make my varnish free,clean engines cleaner,or at what point is it clean enough and becomes redundant and a waste of resources.

Originally Posted By: jrmason
My 25k mile oil changes are likely criminal to you.

That's a risky thing to post in these parts!
grin.gif

But yes, that sounds criminal to me! Only oil that might be able to handle that is Amsoil, which most consumers don't use.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back