1996 Sable Vulcan Maintenance Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yep, when I went to buy the Motorcraft plugs they said fine wire. I put them in anyway. We'll see if they last to 30k miles.

I plan on cleaning the throttle body this weekend. The dealership wanted $24 for the Fel-pro gasket and would have to order it. O'Reilly had the same gasket, with Ford p/n on the plastic bag even, for $1.69.

A question in regards to the clamps on the hoses. The quick disconnect hose clamp should be fine. What is the best way to remove the other clamp? What should it be replaced with - fuel injector hose clamp? There are a bunch of these - hose to pipe x.

DSCN1116.jpg

The only way that I have gotten those crimped hose clamps off is to cut them, as you mentioned.
I think that the best clamp, if you can find the right size, is the removable type that is in your picture.

Also, before removing hoses.....make SURE you know what hose it is......as you don't want to be removing air conditioning hoses.
You most likely know.....but worth mentioning.

There are options for the oxygen sensor. What came with the car originally? I understand that the heated one is for after the cat and the planar is before cat. What brand is recommended? Bosch, Denso, Niehoff, BWD Automotive, Beck/Arnley, Standard Motor Products, Motorcraft (who makes those?), etc.

Originally Posted By: benjamming
There are options for the oxygen sensor. What came with the car originally?

No telling. The sensors depend on the calibration code/cal code on the driver's door sticker. FoMoCo used 2 or 3 different suppliers and calibrated the PCM software to match the O2 sensors.

The only diffrence in O2s is the number of wires and whether is is before or after the cat., there is no specific PCM calibration for a specific O2. The newer cars (+2005) do not use the older types of O2s.

I use the cheapest that will fit and have the ability to monitor them in real time on my '97 Taurus. http://www.rockauto.com is a good place to compare prices.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back