1995 Skylark radio clock resets to 12:00 every time I start it.

Not likely as memory draws fractions of an amp and the starter draws dozens and it starts right up.

Yes. Turn the key to accessory, set the clock or a station preset, turn the radio and key off. Turn back on and those settings are lost.

When I had a weak battery in my S-10, it would reset the trip meter though it started fine.

That was the sign…

What kind of stereo is it? I dont think the Delco OE unit in my S-10 loses the presets when I replace the battery… only the time.

When I had a weak battery in my S-10, it would reset the trip meter though it started fine.

That was the sign…
+1
My Ford Focus would randomly lose radio presets and minutes off the clock.
I also (foolishly) thought it was the radio...until I was calling a tow truck at midnight due to a dead battery.

If the constant and switched were reversed, the radio would stay on with the key off. I'm assuming this is a factory radio and no one has been in hacking wiring.
That' right, If it is not a fuse I would still put may money on buggered wiring somewhere. If its an aftermarket it would not be uncommon to find both + wires going to switched +

There is a thing called "convenience center" which is separate from the fuse block that has a 7A fuse connected to the radio. Trying to get my hands on it but its buried up in the dash somehow.

Yep, same color as in the sales brochure cover and magazine ads of the day.

02.jpg

Use a test light and check for 12V at the radio connectors with the key off. Check all the pins. One should have 12V on it.

Voltage present? Replace radio.

Voltage not present? Repair fuse or harness problem.

Voltage not present? Repair fuse or harness problem.
Unless that voltage comes from a module, it's not that simple. Found an orange wire going to the convenience center was cut. Temporarily connected them together and the clock and radio memory works fine. Except, now the clock display is always on, even with the key removed. Somebody was here before.

Unless that voltage comes from a module, it's not that simple. Found an orange wire going to the convenience center was cut. Temporarily connected them together and the clock and radio memory works fine. Except, now the clock display is always on, even with the key removed. Somebody was here before.

Why would a constant 12V need to be coming from a module? I've never seen any vehicle wired that way. In most cases it's wired to a constant 12V power source from the fuse panel.

You probably need to look at wiring diagram for this vehicle to correct whatever mess someone else made.

Why would a constant 12V need to be coming from a module? I've never seen any vehicle wired that way. In most cases it's wired to a constant 12V power source from the fuse panel.

You probably need to look at wiring diagram for this vehicle to correct whatever mess someone else made.
I have the wiring diagrams, I'm not making it up for entertainment.

radio.jpg

Back