1987 Ranger smokes on startup

Status
Not open for further replies.
So upon startup the truck smokes quite a bit. The smoking stops after driving a couple blocks. After it quits, it doesn't smoke, at any other time while it is being driven. I am assuming it is the valve seals. What is the harm in continuing running it this way? And if anybody knows what it approximently would cost to repair at a shop. The engine is a 2.9l, and it does not overheat while running, nor does it loose coolant.

There is a good chance the cause of smoking as you posted is the valve guide seals, The cure could be just replacing the seals or really costly ,the valve guides are worn. How many miles on the engine?

Originally Posted By: nucleardawg
what is the long term damage that can happen if this is not repaired. Any idea what a shop charges to fix this?

Probably not much long term damage other than carbon build up on the valves, especially the exhaust valve and it isn't doing your catalytic converter any good.

In a couple of more years, you can get antique plates for that car. So a little oil use at this point is not a deal killer.
What oil is in there? A bit thicker can help. A High mileage oil can help with seal leaks .

Originally Posted By: Virtuoso
Is this the infamous 2.9 head-cracker?

Was there any other kind?

Kestas: Most valve seal issues only occur at start up. I've only observed a limited number of engines that fog routinely at idle. 3.0 Mitsubishi's being the most notable probably due to the numbers in the field. I imagine that the start up deal is due to valves being open upon shutdown and giving time for that amount of oil to migrate. During operation the door might not be open long enough.

Originally Posted By: Gary Allan
Was there any other kind?

Apparantly not.

With that age and notoriety of motor I would just let it smoke..

Had the same problem, Replaced the seals and all is well now . Cost here in North Georgia at a backyard garage was $345.00

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back