1978 Camaro pics

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: TooManyWheels
What is the muffler situation? Does it still have the crossflow muffler, or has it been converted to duel mufflers? This will factor in to how you deal with the tailpipe issue.

Here are a couple pics of the muffler
008JPGiHn4uq.jpg

009JPGkP8YP4.jpg

Ah, I had forgotten about the possibility of single exhaust. I'm not sure the muffler is in the normal location, so you made need to have a tailpipe made, as opposed to just purchased off the shelf. This isn't a big deal, in many shops that is how they operate by default. That should be on the A list too...

that car isn't much modified as it is 'messed with'. the performer RPM manifold is a great manifold, BUT can only be a benefit w/ other mods. it is designed for high rpm power (hence the name) and the rest of the setup doesn't allow for that. the single exhaust, stock exhaust manifolds, auto trans, probably a stock cam, none of it will allow the manifold to 'work'. right now, it's probably just loud and slow.
I can appreciate the desire for 'original', but that's only a benefit if it's a pre '73. a stock '78 camaro is somewhat less than desirable, as far as performance. stock hp was probably around 135.
performance mods need to be looked at like a combination, not just a bunch of individual parts. a carb and intake needs good flowing heads, a healthy cam, headers, dual exhaust. the trans needs a higher stall converter, and be beefed up to handle the power. the rear axle needs lower gears and a posi to take advantage of the power. then traction becomes an issue, etc etc etc.

EDIT: there isn't any choke on the carb; that carb has an electric choke kit available separately.

The muffler looks to be too close to the floor pan. It could possibly heat up that area too much.

I would say the PCV hose not being connected to the carb is important to the engine not getting sludged up. The hose to the power brake booster normally goes to a fitting on the intake manifold, not the carb. The fitting should be behind the carb on the stock intake manifold. I would think that your intake would have a pipe thread hole that is located in the same location.

I believe the intake manifold you have is a single plane type which won't give as good a vacuum for the power brakes to work as good as they should. The stock intake is a dual plane intake. Also as mentioned the car will not perform well with an intake that is not matched to the rest of the engine.

As mpvue mentioned it is not modified as much as messed with. Things need to be sorted out for the car to be functional and safe.
I just noticed that the left muffler support is welded straight to the frame which is not good. It looks like the muffler/extension pipe goes right under the driveshaft? The exhaust probably needs to be totally redone.

Last edited:
So it's safe to say the previous owner didn't have the slightest idea what he was doing and should have found a different hobby, perhaps collecting Pokemon cards....twisting balloons into interesting shapes....finger painting....???

Originally Posted By: Aspen7
So it's safe to say the previous owner didn't have the slightest idea what he was doing and should have found a different hobby, perhaps collecting Pokemon cards....twisting balloons into interesting shapes....finger painting....???

He was only missing 3 things knowledge, ability and money. That last one is probably why he ended up selling it. I sell this kind of car for 2 reasons, so I can buy another car I want or lack of time. Right now time is against me.

I would get the exhaust redone as having it dump in front of the rear axel will add heat to the axel as well as the fumes will not exit away totally from the car like they would if the exhaust was all the way to the rear. I had a 1980 Camaro RS, looked exactly like this one but was a dark metallic blue. Loved that car but had to sell it due to not having anywhere to store it.

Let's just say that what he's done aren't "best practices". Most of it is not downright unsafe (except for the lack of tailpipe, IMO). I'm guessing he was a teenager, who was short on cash, and was more interested in the effect than in what would actually work best. To put this in perspective, between the ages of 18-22 I had two cars with either no tailpipes, or trunk floors rusted through (same result). But there is no way I would let that exist now. He probably wasn't terribly interested in maintaining the value of the car as a specialty vehicle either.

But the car is definitely a "keeper", although it does need some (relatively minor) remedial work.

Originally Posted By: Chris142
The original muffler went horozontly across the car between the rear axle and gas tank.

I wonder what the purpose was in changing it.

Originally Posted By: TaterandNoodles

He was only missing 3 things knowledge, ability and money. That last one is probably why he ended up selling it. I sell this kind of car for 2 reasons, so I can buy another car I want or lack of time. Right now time is against me.

Only those 3 things? Well that's not so bad
LOL.gif

He's been out of work too long, so his reason for selling was $$$. Now he has no wheels. He's counting on his girlfriend to get him around.
(I hope he'll mind his Ps and Qs with her until he has his own ride again)..snicker

Originally Posted By: TooManyWheels
I'm guessing he was a teenager, who was short on cash, and was more interested in the effect than in what would actually work best. To put this in perspective, between the ages of 18-22

He left an alarmingly big pile of traffic tickets in his glove box which of course have his bd on them. He'll be 30 soon.

The original muffler went horozontly across the car between the rear axle and gas tank.

Probably to put a performance muffler on for better sound and didn't feel like paying to get the pipes bent to fit back in like the factory muffler.

Originally Posted By: xxch4osxx

Probably to put a performance muffler on for better sound and didn't feel like paying to get the pipes bent to fit back in like the factory muffler.

I hope this isn't going to cost me an arm and a leg. I have a feeling it will though :-(

Originally Posted By: xxch4osxx

I hope this isn't going to cost me an arm and a leg. I have a feeling it will though :-(
Get a proper job done and it will last for a long time. A good job will cost though but it wil be worth it :)

If I remember correctly, I got a quote from an exhaust shop for headers back, dual exhaust for $700.00 in Canadian money, and that was for mandrel bent pipes, not the cheaper crimp bend like most places do. I supplied the mufflers, which were Flowmaster 2 chamber.

Hey I have a book that tells me alot about older cars.

If you get me the 5th digit of the VIN# I can see what engine the car originally had.

There is also a body number plate above the brake booster and it has a bunch of letters and numbers. Those will tell us if it was a base model, type LT etc and the original colors.

Hey I have a book that tells me alot about older cars.
If you get me the 5th digit of the VIN# I can see what engine the car originally had.
There is also a body number plate above the brake booster and it has a bunch of letters and numbers. Those will tell us if it was a base model, type LT etc and the original colors.

The fifth digit is an L. I can't see a plate but the car is an LT, 350.

The fifth digit is an L. I can't see a plate but the car is an LT, 350.

Yup. L was a 4bbl 350 cu in car.

If it's an LT it should also have 1FS87 on the body tag.

I'm registering the car tomorrow, then I can take it to a garage for an oil and trans fluid change Tuesday morning. While they've got it, I'll have them look everything over and quote "List #1"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back