1954 article from LIFE magazine on the Boeing's big gamble - the 707

Google has uploaded scans of all of the old weekly LIFE magazines (1936 - 1972), and I've enjoyed skimming through them.

The editorials are unfailingly fair-minded, the ads are sometimes cringeworthy (I don't know whether to laugh or cry at some of them), and it's fascinating to read cutting-edge technology stories with the benefit of almost 70 years of hindsight.

https://books.google.ca/books?id=T0gEAAAAMBAJ&pg=PA34&source=gbs_toc_r&cad=2#v=onepage&q&f=false

This story looks at the development of the Boeing 707, and compares it to Great Britain's de Havilland Comet. The 707 was larger, had greater passenger capacity, and was faster, but was much more expensive. The 707 no doubt used more fuel, but the cost per passenger-mile might have been cheaper. At the time of publication, one Comet had crashed, but there was no good evidence yet of mechanical failure. No one at that time knew how Boeing's gamble would turn out.

It was later found that stress cracks had started around the Comet's square windows. Quickly rectified, but in the public's mind the Comet would forever be considered unsafe.

Interestingly, Nevil Shute's brilliant novel No Highway In The Sky dealt with exactly that - the Reindeer, an advanced British passenger aircraft, had crashed, and the nerdy researcher who had predicted that the cause was metal fatigue was vindicated. It's a great read. Interestingly, I'd always assumed the book was based on Comet accidents, but actually the book had been published some six years before.

I'd love to see the movie some day:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/No_Highway_in_the_Sky

And of course the 707 went on to dominate its class for some years.

Right above the 707 article is one about Joe McCarthy.
Blast from the past.
I'm a bit of a political junkie - the McCarthy era fascinates me.

An issue or so later they featured young (4- or 5-years old) Arabella Churchill, Winston's granddaughter, as potential future mate for young Prince Charles. It was not to be.

I've seen the movie, it's not bad. Its an interesting airframe that they test.

I didn't realize it predates the Comet however.

Seems the Britsh have keen foresight about future events. They also foresaw the Titanic disaster with "Futility " or "Wreck of the Titan".

Yes I was there standing next to the Cedar River in Renton when the (dash 80) what they called the prototype took off on its maiden flight in Renton Washington. Back in those days you could walk just off the runway and do some fishing. Back in the day! Rode down to the event in the neighbors 31 ford coupe in the rumble seat!

Back during the Viet Nam war I flew from Okinawa to N.J. on a couple different 707's and a few stops and back again to Okinawa two round trips and thought nothing of it.
The flight from Chu Lai to Okinawa on a C-130 was worse, those troop bench's were awful.

Back during the Viet Nam war I flew from Okinawa to N.J. on a couple different 707's and a few stops and back again to Okinawa two round trips and thought nothing of it.
The flight from Chu Lai to Okinawa on a C-130 was worse, those troop bench's were awful.
And the noise was deafening.
I see (and hear) C-130s several times a week, doing circuits over the city. I believe the squadron here is search & rescue.

The troop benches on the KC-135's weren't any better. I spent a lot of time in them back then.

D5A2653B-EB69-475B-84AA-A55ACA1F49D2.jpg

Back