1936 Mercedes 540k Concours d'Elegance detail

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is a rare 1936 Mercedes 540K that I had the pleasure of detailing for a local Concours d'Elegance car show. This car was just a pleasure to detail (again) as I had done a complete full correction on this same car about 6 months ago. This car won 1st place in it's class.....AND best of show at the concours. It's a $550k-$750k car. About 15 hours to get it ready for the show. The undercarriage, engine, paint, interior and wheels where all detailed to get it fully ready for the show. A lot of work but worth it in the end.

IMG_0234_zps559fe861.jpg

IMG_0230_zps29e5da91.jpg

IMG_0224_zpsaec68afa.jpg
[/URL]

IMG_0216_zpsea8b0260.jpg
[/URL]

IMG_0210_zps744cb70c.jpg
[/URL]

IMG_0191_zps6ffd7c7d.jpg
[/URL]

IMG_0198_zpsa3a37005.jpg
[/URL]

IMG_0186_zps097bea63.jpg
[/URL]

Very cool car, one of the finest.

Any notable past owners? Most of those cars were owned by some pretty famous/infamous people. Its RHD so was it sent to the UK from the factory?

540K's were pretty much only owned by captains of industry or Nazi party heads. Mercedes doesn't talk about it but Hitler was quite the enthusiast and had quite a few. He saved up for years to buy his first Mercedes in the early 30's and was very excited about it.

Last edited:
The art of Concours detailing at its very best. Congratulations, you deserve part of the trophy as well.

Originally Posted By: GreeCguy
Absolutely beautiful - did you get to drive it?

Are cars like this are ever driven ?

I've always assumed that rich people own them as investments, and have them trailered around to be put on display at shows - the same as any other half-million dollar piece of art.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Vikas
Brake and clutch pedal needs little bit more cleaning :)

I am kidding! You did a fabulous job!!

Good eye, they do look dirty in the pic for some reason (camera flash maybe), yet in reality they are metal and so clean you could eat off them
wink.gif

mercped_zps1a5b4df0.jpg
[/URL]

Originally Posted By: hattaresguy

540K's were pretty much only owned by captains of industry or Nazi party heads. Mercedes doesn't talk about it but Hitler was quite the enthusiast and had quite a few. He saved up for years to buy his first Mercedes in the early 30's and was very excited about it.

Originally Posted By: RageOfFury

P.S. Isn't that Hitler's car?

When detailing a car like this, your mind really does wonder who drove these cars in the 30's. One things almost sure, as we were discussing with the owner, and as you stated, it's highly likely it was some VERY high ranking Nazi party member(s) that owned/used this car.

It was probably in Diplomatic service somewhere in the British Commonwealth or in private hands.
Germany uses left hand drive. Cars produced for the party for use in country were without a doubt left hand drive.

It would be interesting to find out the history, it should be doable with the chassis number. MB kept good records and from what i have read most survived the war.

Hitlers favorite and the one that was used the most was the 770 Großer Mercedes.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Trav
It was probably in Diplomatic service somewhere in the British Commonwealth or in private hands.
Germany uses left hand drive. Cars produced for the party for use in country were without a doubt left hand drive.

It would be interesting to find out the history, it should be doable with the chassis number. MB kept good records and from what i have read most survived the war.

Hitlers favorite and the one that was used the most was the 770 Großer Mercedes.

Interesting, well this should be fun, here is a left hand drive 320 that I did about a week ago. I sure do love these Mercedes.
320548_zps43b1364a.jpg
[/URL]
320_zps15c55534.jpg
[/URL]

They are truly beyond words to call them just a car is an injustice.
Eddie is that the mother of pearl inlay dash?
BTW You do beautiful work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back