16 years of neglect

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello, I posted a question about water pump lube 2 weeks ago. It was in reference to my friend's 1997 F-150 4.6 w/49,500 miles. On Tuesday, July 9, we serviced the vehicle's cooling system; likely for the first time.

The coolant was dark, opaque brown and smelled like a mixture of decaying animal and strong urine. It was disgusting. We diluted the filth using the lower radiator hose as a drain because it cleared solid dirt. During the afternoon I "soaped it up" thrice. Cascade liquid dishwasher detergent the first time, a bottle of NAPA 10 minute radiator flush the second and finished with a caustic powder made by MAC. The powder required premixing and a 20 minute drive. Each step increased the dirtiness of the rinse water. We used the radiator's drain cock and a slow trickle of water to finish up to clear.

All that neglect is behind us now. My friend still wants to add water pump lube and rust inhibitor. I can't argue anymore. Kira

Tell the friend that just because they make something doesnt mean its good to use it.

Next thing they will be complaining about a plugged heater core.

also was the thermostat replaced?

Well you aren't supposed to change it for the first couple years, so maybe it's only 14 years of neglect.
laugh.gif

I'd pull the bottom hose when it's warm in about a week, you get more stuff before it settles that way.

Hello, No parts were changed. Not the thermostat nor any hose. My dear old friend is on a shoe string budget (which is no real excuse, I know) and the hoses didn't look all that bad. The RMI-25 sounds interesting. I forgot to mention Walmart green coolant was our fill. ADDED: I do like the idea of pulling the lower hose after a week of use. Kira

Last edited:
Kira,
RMI-25 makes any remaining crud buoyant so it will end up in the expansion tank where it can be removed easily. Buy the quart bottle on Amazon. Add 1/2 now, clean the expansion tank a few times, then add the other 1/2 in a few weeks/months. Then you should be good for a few years.

Hello, The makers of RMI-25 also told me to go to Amazon as there are no distributors anywhere near me. I like the idea of softening crud and floating it away. I'll use the stuff in my own car first. Your suggested method (probably a good one) might be greater than what I would need.

By their numbers I'm to add 2 oz. per system gallon. That'd be 4 oz. in my car. I'd go with that as my system, while due for a coolant change-out, is relatively clean.

The neglected truck, 19.4 qt. capacity-and likely a dirty zone or two left over, calls for 9.7 oz. of the stuff. It might get 1/2 the bottle because 16 years is a long time for cooties to dig in.

Thanks for the information. Kira

Yeah, what I recommended was for the neglected truck. I double the initial dosage then add the recommended dose every other year. You can't overdose on the stuff, so there is no harm in doing so.

Originally Posted By: LeakySeals
Use RMI-25. Does everything you've discussed including what your friend is looking for. I've never replaced a pump, hose, thermostat, radiator, nothing in the past 15 years using this product. http://www.rmi25.com/

+1

Do people use RMI in cooling systems that are in good shape? Does it work with every coolant type? There was a comment in an Amazon review about draining red coolant first.

Use RMI-25. Does everything you've discussed including what your friend is looking for. I've never replaced a pump, hose, thermostat, radiator, nothing in the past 15 years using this product. http://www.rmi25.com/

My experience with my last 3 vehicles (including the 2 below) is the same.

Originally Posted By: PHANI1

My experience with my last 3 vehicles (including the 2 below) is the same.
Rmi-25 sounds interesting.. Our generator's radiator had a minor leak (leaked whenever engine turned off) but after a couple of clean deionized water refills, leak suddenly stopped.
I'm interested to use Rmi-25 but can anyone confirm if it could potentially restart the leaking , because it will clean out the gunk and may possibly reopen the sealed leaking pinhole?

I'm interested to use Rmi-25 but can anyone confirm if it could potentially restart the leaking , because it will clean out the gunk and may possibly reopen the sealed leaking pinhole? [/quote]

Yes, that is a definite possibility for the reason you state. It cleans and then protects but will open existing holes/damage (plugged by "gunk").

If it is just a pinhole, Bars Leaks in the grey bottle should stop the leak at that point. If that does not stop the leak; repair/replace is in order.

Originally Posted By: PHANI1

I'm interested to use Rmi-25 but can anyone confirm if it could potentially restart the leaking , because it will clean out the gunk and may possibly reopen the sealed leaking pinhole?

Yes, that is a definite possibility for the reason you state. It cleans and then protects but will open existing holes/damage (plugged by "gunk").

If it is just a pinhole, Bars Leaks in the grey bottle should stop the leak at that point. If that does not stop the leak; repair/replace is in order.

Oh Thanks for the suggestion!
They also have bars leaks tablets... do you have specific success with the liquid Bars Leaks in the grey bottle ?

Should I FLUSH and clean the radiator at all before the treatment with "Bars Leaks in the grey bottle" ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back