15W40 Royal Purple for motorcycle??

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was getting some of the .99 cent quarts of 5W30 at Auto Zone and noticed that this AZ had the gallon jugs of 15W40 for 9.99...20 dollars off reg price...since this AZ was not in my area I decided to get some.

What is everyone's opinion on using this in my F4i? I see that RP does make an oil specifically for bikes......think this stuff should be ok? Hate to put it in and have the clutch or something else take a dump

Goose
34.gif

when i tested RP 20w50 in the Mix Master of DOOM (aug2005) the result from 90 miles was so poor that i am sill amazed!!!
susvis of 79.4 (yeah needs to be 83.11 to be in grade).
and INSOLUBLES: .4% was the WORST i have ever experienced in my bike. bar none!

good luck!

Originally Posted By: 02zx9r
like I have said multipe times, Royal Purple is garbage!

Why is that?

Goose
34.gif

Originally Posted By: sunruh
when i tested RP 20w50 in the Mix Master of DOOM (aug2005) the result from 90 miles was so poor that i am sill amazed!!!
susvis of 79.4 (yeah needs to be 83.11 to be in grade).
and INSOLUBLES: .4% was the WORST i have ever experienced in my bike. bar none!

good luck!

I agree don't care for RP..but hey got a Q for ya, wally's ST 15w40(disel) that your fond of does it say disel oil on the jug or just 15w40?

the only 15w40 supertech oil i have says just the weight nothing
about HD dieasel appt's???

can count on one hand the good uoa's that show up, only a handfull of people have had good results with it.

the good results are few and faw between for a high priced marginal at best performer.

better oils out there that cost less that perform way better.

And yes this is coming from someone with no actual experience with it!! Like it matters, still sucks!

A senior member on a Mazda 3 forum I used to frequent was a big fan of UOA and did one for several oils used in his Mazda (I know, it's not a bike, but I think it's relevant). He saw the highest iron numbers from RP. What that means exactly, I'm not sure. I don't know where you'd find iron in an all-aluminum engine. He also noted an elevated sodium number, for what that's worth. I think there's better oils to be had for the kind of money you'd spend on RP, unless you're getting it on some sale at WalMart. From there, you have to decide if the price is worth it to you.

Well, I'll try it in my HHR for .99 a quart and see what kind of results I get.......my main question here was whether the 15W40 RP was safe to use in my F4i..

Goose
34.gif

short answer is yes, you can use it. at .99cents a quart i would pick some up to, what i would use it in i am really not sure

Originally Posted By: Blue_Goose
Well, I'll try it in my HHR for .99 a quart and see what kind of results I get.......my main question here was whether the 15W40 RP was safe to use in my F4i..

Follow the oil viscosity temp chart in your manual...If it's o.k. to use and outside temps are in the acceptable range for a 15W40 there should be no problem....

I'd keep the oil change interval short though...Perhaps no more than 1000 miles...

there are uoa's on here of 5K and even 8K on rotella 15w40 and the report was good.

Like TucsonDon has always said, rotella is a excellent cheaper oil for 3K intervals.

If it's only two weeks then you can go longer...But as someone mentioned the RP doesn't seem to hold up as well as some of the other 15W40's...

Yes, there have been some very good UOA's with Rotella at 5,000 and 8,000 miles...But those were for a Goldwing 1800...The CBR 600 is going to be quite a bit harder on the oil...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back