15w40 for VAG 1.8T...too thick?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all! I'd like to try Schaeffers #700 Supreme 15w40 for my Passat 1.8T. The engine specifies 5w40 vw 502.00 synthetic but I wanted the extra cleaning abilities of hdeos, as found in the #700. Btw, this is one of a few hdeos though synth blend, has the 502 approval required for my engine(warranty reasons) but am concerned of the viscosity.

Can I safely run this in my engine year round...or should I wait till summer. Climate is Socal. Thx!

What viscosities are listed in your manual? The 1.5% sulfated ash content of the Schaeffer's is borderline what VW allows.

Another option would be M1 5W-40.

Well, I have an aversion towards M1 0W-40, but it's a popular oil with many 1.8T owners. It meets the required VW502 spec.

M-I is really a good product and Mobil is an old player like Amsoil in the synthetic business.

My '00 manual states 5w40/5w30 synth or dino PCMO with old approvals(SJ, VW 500.00, etc)current as of print date. But now the VAG longitudinal 1.8T sludge letter strictly allows only vw 502.00 oils.

Shoud I be really concerned with Schaeffers sulfated ash? The oil has the vw 502 blessing so it should be safe for the engine. OTOH, Mobil 1 5w40 T&S though a very good oil indeed has no vw approval.

I do have several bottles of Mobil 1 0w40 and Motul E-Tech 0w40 onhand(all vw 502 oils), initially going in after the Grp III/dino based Rotella 5w40(non 502)/ARx rinse. But after trying this HDEO for the 1st time in my 1.8T, I might hold off using the above pcmos. My engine seems to like this kind of oils, the "made for trucks" heavy duty stuff.

I had used Synpower and Motul 6100 5w40(also 502 oils) for the past 30k miles(both good performers btw)and it never gets the engine as quiet as this w/ an hdeo, as in the Rotella. Between pcmos, I also like the added potency of hdeos better on engines. The extra cleaning abilities are especially important for a sludge/varnish/coke prone engine as the VAG 1.8T.

So now I'd want to experiment somewhat and would like to see how hdeos(i.e. Schaeffers)would fare long term in cleaning more of my engine(oil filler neck shows slight valve cover varnish, heads are silver metal clean though)...guess I'll put my M1 and Motul under lock & key for now.
smile.gif

quote:

Shoud I be really concerned with Schaeffers sulfated ash? The oil has the vw 502 blessing so it should be safe for the engine. OTOH, Mobil 1 5w40 T&S though a very good oil indeed has no vw approval.

I doubt the 1.5% sulfated ash is a problem, unless your motor burns way too much oil.

quote:

Originally posted by moribundman:

quote:

I doubt the 1.5% sulfated ash is a problem, unless your motor burns way too much oil.

Negative. No signs of oil usage in my 1.8T since new. Probably has to do with my constant 5w40 use, and pampered driving of the engine. I do remember reading several posts around the web of 1.8T oil consumption using M1 0w40..one reason to put off usage I think.

Must be a good sign to use 15w40, perhaps?

[ December 29, 2004, 05:32 PM: Message edited by: vwoom ]

In SoCal the 15w is not going to cause you a problem. Especially the Schaeffer's #700. Check out the cold flow properties against a non-blend HDEO.

quote:

Originally posted by Neil Womack:
In SoCal the 15w is not going to cause you a problem. Especially the Schaeffer's #700. Check out the cold flow properties against a non-blend HDEO.

Neil, thanks for the heads up response.

It's been surprisingly cold and super WET lately in L.A. Bet the Rose Parade a few miles from me will be soaked come New Years...1st time in 49 yrs. weatherdude sez.

When it dries down here a bit and a little warmer, the 15w40/502 oil will go in right after the Arx rinse.

quote:

Negative. No signs of oil usage in my 1.8T since new. Probably has to do with my constant 5w40 use, and pampered driving of the engine.

Quite frankly I don't know why you don't just keep using the 5W-40 that has worked so well until now.

quote:

Originally posted by moribundman:

quote:

Negative. No signs of oil usage in my 1.8T since new. Probably has to do with my constant 5w40 use, and pampered driving of the engine.

Quite frankly I don't know why you don't just keep using the 5W-40 that has worked so well until now.

I want to try an HDEO VW 502.00 approved oil with its added efficacy for supplemental cleaning of my engine. This kind of oil that happens to be 15w40 and is accessible to me.

If I could grab my hands on a HDEO 502 oil in my preferred 5w40...then why not. Without thinking twice, surely I'd use it.

With only 4qts of oil aggravated by a hot running turbo in a known sludge machine as the VAG 1.8T, I think the 15w40/502 will do well by my clime.

I dont see any reason 15W-40 would be a bad choice for your engine as long as the starting temperature remains mild and the oil is allowed to come up to temperature before high boost is applied.

At lower temperatures I might be concerned about flow to the Turbo Bearings. Large Trucks seem to have little problem with this but I suspect the turbo bearings in them are a larger more robust design.

Gene

quote:

Originally posted by Gene K:
I dont see any reason 15W-40 would be a bad choice for your engine as long as the starting temperature remains mild and the oil is allowed to come up to temperature before high boost is applied.

Oh yeah, I take it niiice and eeeasy on my girl in the morning...err I mean the turbine that is.
grin.gif

I don't slam on the gas above 2000 rpm until the temp needle goes past the first 3 bars from 0 on my gauge. This engine is a pampered one.

The fwy onramp is a good 2 miles of street traffic from my home before I reach it. So it has ample time to hit the 190* warmup before boost time.

Btw, Happy New Year to All!!

quote:

Originally posted by Neil Womack:
A freeway onranp and a 1.8T. The simple joys of living in SoCal.

My onramp in the morn most of the time is a...parking lot(10fwy west), except on weekends.
pat.gif

vwoom

Finally pulled out my Bentley Service Manual.
15w-40 is good down to 10*f.

And I'd say that due to Schaeffer's improved cold flow properties you would be good to even colder temps.

With that same oil I've gotten as low as 8*f with no noted problems.

I don't see a problem with 15w-40 in SoCal, especially if the engine is pampered as you described... but you should let the Diverter Valve Pssssht sometime!

On a side note, I too noticed oil consumption when switching from dino (free oil change) to Mobil 1 10w-30. Of recent, I'm using a mix of 10w-30 and 15w-50 to thicken it up a bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back