$15 OBD-II Scan Tool (Amazon Prime)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: another Todd
Only gives codes, no live data.

Sure takes alot to google a letter and a few numbers. For the average person this is fine.

Having codes only and no data means it can point the direction when you have a very common problem for that particular vehicle. It also allows you to clear codes which will be needed after some repairs. When you have something other than an "oh all of those cars do that" type problem, it's not all that useful.

Live data is much better and can be absolutely necessary for basic diagnostics if you have a running problem or an emissions problem.

There was a time when live data scanner used to cost in four figures and now people are complaining that $15 tool does not have it!

Originally Posted By: Bryankkkk

Sure takes alot to google a letter and a few numbers. For the average person this is fine.

Yep, the average DIYer wouldn't know what most of the live data means or what to do with it anyway. That includes most of the people here on BITOG. I'll even include myself in that group.

The 'average' DIYer doesn't need to understand what most of the data means. In any given situation he/she may well need to do a little research to find out what data is relevant just as he/she may need to do some research before taking corrective action based solely on a DTC. This is a big part of the "D" in DIYer. The "Y" does not mean you can't look for a little help when needed. The following scenario usually doesn't lead to an efficient repair:

DIYer: I have this code number.
First parts guy: I have this part for sale.
DIYer buys and installs part.
DIYer: Your part doesn't work.
Second parts guy: Yes it does. You must have put it in wrong, but maybe you also need this other part. I can have it for you tomorrow.
DIYer buys and installs part.
DIYer: Your part broke my car. Now it won't start.
Third parts guy: There's nothing wrong with it. You must have told second parts guy the wrong year for your car. Yours isn't supposed to even have a ballast resistor.

Originally Posted By: KD0AXS
Originally Posted By: Bryankkkk

Yep, the average DIYer wouldn't know what most of the live data means or what to do with it anyway. That includes most of the people here on BITOG. I'll even include myself in that group.

Including me !

For $20 you can buy a $15 OBDII to BlueTooth adapter and get the Torque app (Only applicable if you DO NOT have an iPhone - thanks to their walled garden business strategy the cheap OBDII -> BT adapters don't work).

It will pull the codes and log data among other features. It's been talked about a good bit here on BITOG

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back