'15 Forester outer CV boot

D60

This seems so rudimentary but I'm struggling to find a kit for the outer boot. Front left, outer, 2.5 engine and automatic.

I can find what I believe is the OEM boot as Subaru 28423AG010 but no clamps. I guess with some care and hope I might be able to reuse the existing clamps? Or I could source the universal strapping you wind and fold over (I have the tools)?

RA is OOS on 2 of 4 offerings and they're all neoprene anyway.

I sure wouldn't complain if I could source a thermoplastic kit with clamps and a bag of grease.....? I fear I'm asking too much?

I'm the only one who services this Forester and aftermarket axles are simply not an option. I'll be replacing them every year, assuming they don't shimmy right out of the box

edit: WWTD (what would @Trav do?)

This seems so rudimentary but I'm struggling to find a kit for the outer boot. Front left, outer, 2.5 engine and automatic.

I can find what I believe is the OEM boot as Subaru 28423AG010 but no clamps. I guess with some care and hope I might be able to reuse the existing clamps? Or I could source the universal strapping you wind and fold over (I have the tools)?

RA is OOS on 2 of 4 offerings and they're all neoprene anyway.

I sure wouldn't complain if I could source a thermoplastic kit with clamps and a bag of grease.....? I fear I'm asking too much?

I'm the only one who services this Forester and aftermarket axles are simply not an option. I'll be replacing them every year, assuming they don't shimmy right out of the box

edit: WWTD (what would @Trav do?)

Am I understanding correctly, that you plan on replacing the outer CV boots yearly? If so, I'm curious as to why?

My '13 Outback has about 157k miles and is still on the original cv boots. I inspected them just a few months ago, and no sign of boot failure, so I'm having a hard time understanding why there would be a need to replace cv boots annually.

Unless you’re replacing them as prophylactic, or you literally catch them the same day they failed, you will be better served getting new OEM axles, even with the cost, because you’ll only have to do the job once.

If the grease has sprayed out or there has been dirt intrusion, replacing the boot is just a mind game you’re playing with yourself, as the CV joint will fail in short order if either of these things happened.

The complete OEM front CV axles still seem to be available for your 2015 Forester :)

Just the boot kit including the clamp is 28396SG010

just the clamps are 28324AG010 and 28324SG010

Also, for aftermarket, GSP PR66012 "performance revolution" uses a thermoplastic outer boot (though the inner boot is neoprene), and they are listed as in-stock for your 2015 Forester. It is the very last one at the bottom.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: D60
If I want thermoplastic boots and the ones from the dealer are not available I call Rockford boot, forget the catalog, it has not been upgraded in years but if you have the measurements of the old boots on the axle and joint end and how many ribs it has they will hook you up with a boot kit. Their boots last forever and are great quality.

• Helpful
Reactions: D60
The complete OEM front CV axles still seem to be available for your 2015 Forester :)

Also, for aftermarket, GSP PR66012 "performance revolution" uses a thermoplastic outer boot (though the inner boot is neoprene), and they are listed as in-stock for your 2015 Forester. It is the very last one at the bottom.
Very helpful, thank you! I was unable to find the kit (obviously). I see I can also get the circlip which is my preference. Some kits include them but this kit doesn't show it as being included.

Thanks again!

Well you've basically saved me twice here. I got the boot kit (shipped from Hueberger in Co Spgs) and it looks beautiful but once I got into the CV some of the balls were considerably chewed. Sometimes that's a fun Saturday night, but not this time.

So I ordered the "better" GSP. I'm loathe to use aftermarket but we'll see how it goes. This girl is early 20's and a new OEM axle is a huge investment for her. Surprisingly my local dealer had one on the shelf but it came out to $470 with tax. It's $384 plus shipping and tax from the link you kindly provided, so not that much better. Ouch.

What I should do is throw the boot kit on the other side that has not yet split.

And as an aside, this was the weirdest failure of a boot I've encountered. I was unable to make out any obvious cut or slit but it definitely let out a lot of grease from one of the inner pleats. Almost like an invisible paper cut....

Chewed up balls (no judgement on anyone if that's your thing):
20231101_143829.jpg

Such a fancy boot kit with Subaru box -- seems a shame to not use it so I'll put it on the other side:
20231101_143746.jpg

This would appear to be the NTN part # of the original boot if anyone is resourceful. Despite NTN having a surprisingly good website I was unable to find it there. They seem to only list inner applications for the SJ Forester. Inner and outer boots are different-- I checked.

In case pictures crash or are removed, it shows as an NTN 195-92 on the boot itself.
20231103_080214.jpg

I installed the GSP Revolution axle last night. No vibes so I guess with that and a thermoplastic boot, you can't ask for much more.

The Revolution definitely comes in a slightly fancier box and is packaged better than most axles. Could be smoke and mirrors, or could be them trying to convey the axle isn't the typical junk. Not sure -- I guess time will tell.

Back