Status
Not open for further replies.
Blackstone Labs Report: 08/27/12

11 Chevrolet EQUINOX
GM 2.4L 4-cyl EcoTec
Gasoline (Unleaded)
AC Delco 5W/30 Dexos1
Makeup oil added: 0 qts

There was a fair amount of metal here. Universal averages are based on 6,000 miles on the oil, so your longer run might account for some metal, but it wouldn't explain all of this metal. Aluminum shows piston wear, chrome is from rings, iron comes from steel, and copper is from brass/bronze. Perhaps some of this is residual wear-in, if your engine had only 2 oil changes so far, though another possibility is that silicon is dirt and it accounts for some metal. The low viscosity and 1.0% fuel are harmless. TBN is low at 0.8, so stay with ~9,500 miles and check the air filter.

Code:
Miles on Oil: 9,478 Miles

Miles on Vehicle: 21,138

ALUMINUM 9

CHROMIUM 4

IRON 95

COPPER 9

LEAD 1

TIN 2

MOLYBDENUM 77

NICKEL 2

MANGANESE 7

SILVER 0

TITANIUM 0

POTASSIUM 6

BORON 61

SILICON 21

SODIUM 12

CALCIUM 1898

MAGNESIUM 20

PHOSPHORUS 616

ZINC 680

BARIUM 0

PROPERTIES

cSt Viscosity @ 100°C 53.5

SUS Viscosity @ 210°F 8.34

Flashpoint in °F 345

Fuel % 1.0

Antifreeze % 0.0

Water % 0.0

Insolubles % 0.4

TBN 0.8

--------------------------------------
Had 18% left on the OLM at the time of oil change. Given the low TBN and metals, my amateur opinion is that following the OLM on Dexos1 would have been a stretch. To the analyst's point on the air filter, I changed it at 16,000 so the first 5k of the OCI were on a dirty air filter. 70% Freeway driving

Last edited by a moderator:
Not great for an engine that 'should' be broken in.

Agree that OLM is pushing the oil a bit too far - both TBN and visc. shot!

Delco Dexos is made to meet the minimum specs, while being inexpensive. I ran this oil in my own car to 5% and TBN was 0. The oil did not seem to be leaving any sludge at that point though, even at 0 TBN. That did get me to switch to Amsoil though. Going by the Anaylisis I would change the oil at 25% or go with a different brand of oil. If you want to stay with a officialy GM licensed oil, try Penzoil Platinum or Mobil 1. I would go with AMSOIL XL or Signature Series 5w30, than it could be run to 5% no problem!
How was the oil level by the way? I'd bet it was a little low, about 1/2 Qt. With some top of it would have barely made it to 5% I think.

If you can, try to get your dealer to send the results to engineering. It would be interesting what they would say.

Oil is trashed. Low FP, high insols, viscosity shearing, and that's not even considering the 'wear metals'.

Change to a more stout oil if you want to follow the OLM.

Why? You're not running a synthetic here...two things come to mind here.

#1 This car idled at some point(s) for a while. Can't really explain it, it seems to throw off the OLM. I got stuck in traffic a while back for a good long time, and the olm never moved, even though I knew the oil was taking a beating bad.

#2 The Nox needs to get checked out...might have a sensor issue going.

Hense my issue with the Dexos Delco-it does potect, but simply does not last longer than a dino would. Regardless of engine or OLM, I'd NEVER go more than 7.5k on it...

You need consistiency to determine what is going on.

I suggest the following:
stick with that oil and filter
OCI at 7.5k miles; UOA at that OCI point
Do several of the UOAs to see what ranges and trends develop

That will give you credence and merit should a problem actually develop later. After you get this info nailed down, then you can experiment with other options. Stay consistent until your answers are clear.

As for the Si and air filter, I'll say this; don't change the air filter too often. Jim Allen noted that a Parker Filtration engineer told him that 90% of dirt passed by an air filter occurs within the firt 10% of its lifecycle. Changing an air filter often can be very detrimental! Check for leaks; seal it up; leave it alone.

Last edited:
This engine has balance shaft/water pump chain issues (stretching). We typically hear them start to rattle after approx. 30k. Ive changed a bunch of them. Probable source of some wear metals. I agree with other posters though, oil was run too long.

New engine still killing the oil thru this OCI. I would do a dino thrash for 1-2k then use Amsoil signature or similar technical synthetic to follow the olm. I am finding my new Honda is not easy to keep running on $$$ otc syn, so dont feel bad -break in is tough with low/mid saps oils and garbage E10 fuel.

Sadly, more confirmation that Delco dexos1 oil simply can't go the distance in GM's more advanced engines. It needs a 5k mile change interval in anything with a turbo or DI. If the engine owner wants to follow the OLM, running a full synthetic dexos1 oil is necessary. Even then, changing at 20% on the OLM is a very good idea.

We do not suggest that our customers use the OLM. But we advise 4-5k oil change intervals. But you do have 5yr/100,000 powertrain warranty, as long as you use dexos, the engine is covered.

Originally Posted By: aussiek2000
We do not suggest that our customers use the OLM. But we advise 4-5k oil change intervals.

Sounds like a plan to me. This looks like another case where ignoring the OLM is the way to.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back