$10k for a 240v outlet install?

West coast electrician here. I think for Texas it's way too much. Is it a union shop? lol Some of our prices for comparison:
Full service(meter main with breakers(mast riser with SER run to indoor panel) including grounding and bonding)) $5400
EV: $750-1500 dependent on distance
Thanks for this info. Does a new, 225 amp panel sound about right for my needs?

Forgive us all the obvious question, but what capacity level 2 charger are you contemplating? I am not seeing a lot of big double pole 240 volt breakers in your photos. You need to figure out if that service upgrade is really needed.

Forgive us all the obvious question, but what capacity level 2 charger are you contemplating? I am not seeing a lot of big double pole 240 volt breakers in your photos. You need to figure out if that service upgrade is really needed.

I'm not sure you could find breakers for that ancient panel! Even without the EV, it's time for a new panel.

Depends on where in Texas.
Texas is a big state.
In some part, that quote may be reasonable.

Also, you may want to find a local owner operated company (means that the owner is the electrician may be with 1 or 2 helper) as supposed to big company advertising online.
Corpus Christi area.

That’s what I’m going for next. Not these bigger companies.

It looks to me like the electrical service needs to be updated, and the panel might be an a high humidity area which is not good imo. Shop it around and ask questions. If it is in fact in a high humidity area you might want to consider addressing the problem with the humidity. My brother had to replace his breaker panel in Florida due to humidity in his garage. He addressed the humidity issue. Why they'd put the panel in the garage in high humidity areas leaves me scratching my head, but that's off topic.

As an electrician in the UK, the differences between our installations and yours over there are mind boggling.

But $6,700 for a consumer unit replacement does seem to be insane. Over here the going rate for a typical house is less than £1,000/$1300.

It looks to me like the electrical service needs to be updated, and the panel might be an a high humidity area which is not good imo. Shop it around and ask questions. If it is in fact in a high humidity area you might want to consider addressing the problem with the humidity. My brother had to replace his breaker panel in Florida due to humidity in his garage. He addressed the humidity issue. Why they'd put the panel in the garage in high humidity areas leaves me scratching my head, but that's off topic.
I agree that it is not the best placement for a main panel.
I have done some residential wiring in big money homes years ago here in Virginia. Where the dew points are typically greater than 60 degrees and as high as an oppressive 75.
I think the garage placement of the panel is either because it’s cheaper aka shorter distance from the street vs going into the home… That wire from the street is a lot more pricey vs just running mostly 12 gauge homerun wires from that panel. And its easier to run homerun wires and drop them into the garage location vs other areas inside a house. And a third consideration is where to put a panel on a wall in the house that won’t stick out like a sore thumb.

It was very rare of any homes that we worked on that the main panel wasn’t in the garage. Even a 10,000 plus monster home which had two main panels in the garage. With homerun wires so long that we just about ran out of wire running from that main panel to a location on the opposite side of that house.

This is what the panel looks like
View attachment 189857

I agree that it is not the best placement for a main panel.
I have done some residential wiring in big money homes years ago here in Virginia. Where the dew points are typically greater than 60 degrees and as high as an oppressive 75.
I think the garage placement of the panel is either because it’s cheaper aka shorter distance from the street vs going into the home… That wire from the street is a lot more pricey vs just running mostly 12 gauge homerun wires from that panel. And its easier to run homerun wires and drop them into the garage location vs other areas inside a house. And a third consideration is where to put a panel on a wall in the house that won’t stick out like a sore thumb.

It was very rare of any homes that we worked on that the main panel wasn’t in the garage. Even a 10,000 plus monster home which had two main panels in the garage. With homerun wires so long that we just about ran out of wire running from that main panel to a location on the opposite side of that house.
You're right, if the garage is closer to the street it makes sense. Years later the humidity can take its toll and become costly though. I worked in many many big money homes over the years here on L.I. The panels are in the basements, interior closets, laundry rooms, and garages. People in the know that have them in high humidity areas do something to address the humidity, and it helps. That's the point I'm making, if the OP goes through the expense and humidity in the area is an issue it should be addressed imo.

We were recently house hunting in South Carolina and I noticed panels in high humidity garages and told my wife we'd be keeping a window opened slightly and/or run a dehumidifier in the garage for sure. There were a few homes we saw with the panel in the laundry room, I'd prefer a closet to be honest, but imo the laundry room was better than the garage. Bottom line everything is done with cost in mind.

I see $1,800 for 240v outlet install, the rest is panel replacement and surge protector. So the question should be, $8,200 for an upgraded electrical panel? Seems high.

I agree …

However I may well be wrong here… But would it be possible that the buried electric wire from the street have to be replaced as well ?

If so.. And if it’s a bit of a good distance from the street main line… Maybe that could explain the high, high price.

I’m not saying that is needed here or needs to be done.

Steep so ask around. You have woefully outdated electric service at home so it drives this.

At least consider solar as you can bury panel upgrades into incentives for that and the EV outlet becomes tiny.

Back