1 Year Old Snowblower Won't Start

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Bror Jace
SubLGT, from what posters here say about TORCH brand spark plugs, it's a minor miracle it ever started at all.

Yes, definitely get an NGK plug for that engine………….

Yes, the Torch brand of plugs does not get a lot of good comments at the snowblower forums I occasionally visit. Neither do Bosch plugs. Champion seems to get mixed reviews, as does Autolite.

My snowblower started up very quickly this 32F morning, still with the Torch plug in it.

Maybe I should start a thread here: "what is the best spark plug for OPE?"
grin.gif

I will probably get 16 different answers.
wink.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: SubLGT
Originally Posted By: Bror Jace
SubLGT, from what posters here say about TORCH brand spark plugs, it's a minor miracle it ever started at all.

Yes, definitely get an NGK plug for that engine………….

Yes, the Torch brand of plugs does not get a lot of good comments at the snowblower forums I occasionally visit. Neither do Bosch plugs. Champion seems to get mixed reviews, as does Autolite.

My snowblower started up very quickly this 32F morning, still with the Torch plug in it.

Maybe I should start a thread here: "what is the best spark plug for OPE?"
grin.gif

I will probably get 16 different answers.
wink.gif

Champ makes a nice fine wire electrode plug for the Briggs "L" head, but in general I use NGK platinums, and they usually have a platinum version of about anything they make. My genset started with one pull at 4 degrees F with the Champion fine wire electrode plug. Boy was I suprised, I was willing to give it the benefit of the doubt, and a few extra pulls, after it cold soaked all night.

"Maybe I should start a thread here: 'what is the best spark plug for OPE?' I will probably get 16 different answers."

There are probably a handful of such threads in the last 12 months. Consider perusing, or possibly resurrecting, one of those if you really want the input.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
Originally Posted By: fdcg27

Ah yeah, sure.
When he finally breaks down and gives it a shot of ether, it'll roar to life.
Been there and done that enough times that I know from where I speak.
Not too likely that the ignition died for no special reason during the months of disuse.
I'd also give the OP enough credit that he knows the difference between "on" and "off".

Yup. Sometimes you just need the vacuum of a running engine, running faster than you can pull the rope, to slurp whatever snot through the carb jet so it'll go. Once going, it'll keep going.

I have an ancient rototiller that has its dedicated, rusty can of ether sitting next to it.

Never thought of it that way, although it does make sense.
You're right.
If you can get it running with a little shot from the can, it'll start and run fine after that.

I have seen this happen with other LCT engines. Most LCT engines will start with only 1 or 2 pumps of the primer. Some will start right up with no pumps. More than 3 pumps seems to flood them. I think the LCT primer system holds fuel better than other engines. The ones I have used, all sprayed fuel on the first pump, Not like my old Briggs mower engine that took 5 or 6 pumps just to prime the primer and another 3 to start it.

I read my LCT engine manual again, and they warn not to prime more than 3 times. But in the snowblower manual, this warning is not included. In fact, it says that more than 3 pumps on the primer may be required in colder weather. Conflicting instructions.

I plan to stay with a 2-prime, and see how it goes.

Last edited:
When I moved out of the house into a condo, I gave my snow removal equipment away. I gave the MTD two cycle single stage machine to my immediate neighbour to use to clear his large deck. When I went back north for a visit, the guy told me it started and ran great the first time he used it but would no longer start. We talked about the starting procedure and it sounded like he had done everything right.

A couple days later I stopped by his place to look at the machine and to have him go through the start procedure. The last time he used it, the temps were right around 32F, the day of his latest attempt was much colder as was the day I was there. Due to the cold temps, I told him to double up on the primer pumps to four or even six but do it two pumps at a time. He did that and the machine fired right up after about six primes. I told him that if he doesn't smell gas when he turns the engine over, it's not getting fuel to the cylinder. However, I also told him that once he smells gas, stop priming otherwise the engine will flood. From my experience, cold temps requires more priming.

The above also applied to the Toro 221QRE that I gave away.

The excellent Simplicity dual stage blower that I gave to my other neighbour is a one pull starter every time, even in cold temps. Just add one more pump on the primer for every ten degrees or so below zero F. Over priming though will lead to engine flooding and depending on the engine, a number of steps may need to be taken to correct it.

It seems that once you learn what the machine likes and figure out a routine for fast starts, life becomes much easier using them.

I read my LCT engine manual again, and they warn not to prime more than 3 times. But in the snowblower manual, this warning is not included. In fact, it says that more than 3 pumps on the primer may be required in colder weather. Conflicting instructions.

I plan to stay with a 2-prime, and see how it goes.

We can only hope you ditched the Torch plug.

Priming small engines either cold weather or warm is the equivalent of pumping the accelerator on carb. equipped automotive engines. If you can remember back that far, you may recall that they varied greatly as to the required starting procedure. Especially after they were not new any more. So, the answer is simply to find what works for your application, and do that.

Originally Posted By: dave123
…..We can only hope you ditched the Torch plug.

Yes I did, replaced with NGK standard. Getting another big dump of snow this weekend, and I am confidant the snowblower will start on the first try. Love the 120V electric start.

…..We can only hope you ditched the Torch plug.

Yes I did, replaced with NGK standard. Getting another big dump of snow this weekend, and I am confidant the snowblower will start on the first try. Love the 120V electric start.

I have the 120V electric start but have not needed it yet. It starts real easy by the second pull if the first one doesn't catch. It still has the factory Torch plug in it, but I also have an NGK plug waiting just in case
smirk.gif

Whimsey

Déjà vu!
mad.gif

Just like last year, the Sno-Tek won't start after being in storage. I am getting fuel (see it on the NGK spark plug), ignition is good (nice blue arc between the electrodes), and have compression. Fuel tank is 3/4 full of year old ethanol free gasoline with Sta-Bil.

What is unknown is if I have the correct air:fuel ratio for starting. This LCT engine seems to get easily flooded.I only pushed the prime bulb once, then did a full choke, and spun the electric starter 5-6 times. Temp was around 33 degF.

Will let it sit overnight with the sparkplug out, and let the excess gasoline evaporate, and try to start again in the morning.

Last edited:
Put the spark plug back in. Undo the fuel line at the bottom of the tank and drain the old gas.

Add fresh fuel. Open the fuel cutoff valve, close the choke and try to restart.

Spray engine starter fluid into the air cleaner at a last resort. Engine should start.

Lesson learned: Use fuel stabilizer and start the snow blower 3 - 4 times per year.

Originally Posted By: 147_Grain
Put the spark plug back in. Undo the fuel line at the bottom of the tank and drain the old gas.

Add fresh fuel. ...

Yep, that will be my next step.

Might help to turn it on

Maybe forgot to open gas valve..

Originally Posted By: Lubener
Might help to turn it on

Maybe forgot to open gas valve..

Normally a great suggestion, except he says the plug is wet with gas.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back