0W30 vs. 5W30 vs. 10W30

Status
Not open for further replies.
GC also showed some thickening in my lowly 4.3 Chevy truck but maybe it was due to Dexron contamination. I had showed elevated sodium or potassium levels (Motorguard must not know the difference) and the last change it was up to 75ppm over 5K miles. I just had the intake gasket replaced and it was broken and seeping on both sides so I am hoping for improvement.

All things being equal, the M-1 10-30 will have the most cojones of the 3. This is what was used to achieve the 1 mil. mile BMW from what I was told.

Even though all are A1 rated, the 10-30 has the smallest range and should be most stable, least prone to burn-off and the highest HT/HS.

I do not have anything to go by other than personal experience.When I tryed to put 5/30 in my Nissan truck it was the only time between changes it used oil. I went back to 10/30 no oil use.That was perhaps 5 years ago have they done these things they report to beef up the oil so it will stay in grade and not use oil.Are not the HT/HS #ers better in most cases with the 10w or 15w as opposed to the 5w.Another weird apple is what Patman said: Thickening is not good either and is an indication of a lack of high temp stability based on what I've read.So whats in AMSOIL & GC to thicken out of grade between changes.Will LC help it keep from thickening.That said how about my MOLA BREW will that make it thicken more.We need help ladies and gentleman and soon.
spaz.gif

imo the lower no. is the most important as to the expected low temp. I have all ways felt the gap between the low and high numbers should be as small as possible, the more you ask of a oil the harder it has to work. I have no technical info to back this up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back