0w20 or 5w30 for 2013 Altima

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everyone,

Just stopped by my nearby walmart to pick up some PP 0w20 for my wife's Altima. Once there I noticed that they were out of 0w20, so I decided to pick up 5w30 since the car ask for 5w30 if 0w20 is not available.

My question to you all is what is the biggest advantage of using 0w20 instead of 5w30 besides mpg. I would think 5w30 is better for the area I live since the weather is usually in the 70s, the coldest being around in the 50s.

I would say, mostly startup lubracation & MPG though, if 5w30 is acceptable to Nissan, you'll be fine with it in SD
smile.gif

I'm betting you see absolutely no difference whatsoever...

My '13 Sentra calls for the same, 0w20 or 5w30. I plan to use 5w30 simply because its easy to find and less costly. Not to mention it goes in everything else I own.

If 0W-20 is acceptable, curious why they also recommend 5W-30 instead of 5W-20!

OTOH, 5-30 has been a long time standard for the Altima and I've used it exclusively in my '07 4 cyl.

Lubrication and flow on start up is the main advantage. However in San Diego that will probably be minimal difference. Your car will never know the difference.

I have the same engine. Curious to how the 5w30 does affect mileage. I have used a 5w20 and as expected did not see any drop off in mpg. Keep us posted.

For 1 oil change 5w30 wont harm anything, but if it were my car I would take it back and get 0w20.

Originally Posted By: Mazda3LA
Hi everyone,

Just stopped by my nearby walmart to pick up some PP 0w20 for my wife's Altima. Once there I noticed that they were out of 0w20, so I decided to pick up 5w30 since the car ask for 5w30 if 0w20 is not available.

My question to you all is what is the biggest advantage of using 0w20 instead of 5w30 besides mpg. I would think 5w30 is better for the area I live since the weather is usually in the 70s, the coldest being around in the 50s.

If the manufacturer states in the owners manual that you can use either 0W-20 or 5W-30, go with whichever is the least expensive.

With the manufacturer being that liberal on viscosities, you could also go with a 5W-20 as 0W-20 and 5W-20 are the same at operating temperature. 0W-20 will have better cold flowing properties, but in San Diego I doubt that comes in to play.

At Walmart, Mobil 1 is usually a couple of dollars less than Pennzoil Platinum.

Makes nonsense what some of y'all are saying.. The 0w20's and any other oil is same price at walmart and most parts stores..

So choose another brand compared to whatever they were out of and get it..

Originally Posted By: Flareside302
Makes nonsense what some of y'all are saying.. The 0w20's and any other oil is same price at walmart and most parts stores..

But, you can get a 5w-30 conventional, but not a 0w-20 conventional. If following Nissan's severe service 3750 mile OCIs, a conventional might be preferable.

I know that Infiniti recently went to 6mo/5k for all conditions. This change may be in-effect for MY2014 and newer though. So I would check with Nissan to see if that is applicable to you.

Originally Posted By: Garak
But, you can get a 5w-30 conventional, but not a 0w-20 conventional. If following Nissan's severe service 3750 mile OCIs, a conventional might be preferable.

Are you implying that Nissan only want a 20 weight if its synthetic?

Originally Posted By: Garak
Originally Posted By: Flareside302

I still do not see any reason why synthetic oils should be subjected to a longer interval. The starting TBN and TBN retention is often quite similar to conventional oils. The main differences are in high-temperature protection, cold temp pump-ability and fuel efficiency in certain grades (0w-20).

After all, would you only feed yourself once-a-day (versus 3 times) if you ate at Morton's instead of McDonalds?

Originally Posted By: The Critic
After all, would you only feed yourself once-a-day (versus 3 times) if you ate at Morton's instead of McDonalds?

I definitely wouldn't eat 3 times a day at McDonalds.

About 0 is my limit.

I still do not see any reason why synthetic oils should be subjected to a longer interval. The starting TBN and TBN retention is often quite similar to conventional oils. The main differences are in high-temperature protection, cold temp pump-ability and fuel efficiency in certain grades (0w-20).

Less unwanted hydrocarbon species in a synthetic (real or fake synthetic) make the base-stock more oxidation resistant, allowing it to perform longer in an oxidative environment could be a reason....like you can fry for way longer in beef dripping than sunflower oil.

Originally Posted By: Shannow

Less unwanted hydrocarbon species in a synthetic (real or fake synthetic) make the base-stock more oxidation resistant, allowing it to perform longer in an oxidative environment could be a reason....like you can fry for way longer in beef dripping than sunflower oil.

Sure, I'll give you that one. In applications where synthetic is required due to the engine's design, there may be significant differences in the oil's lifespan.

However, if the engine's operating environment does not require the high-temp performance of a synthetic, then where's the extended service life coming from? From a contamination standpoint, I do not see how synthetics fare any better.

My personal 2011 Prius calls for 10k intervals on 0w-20. I recently moved to a new location and I now spend very little time on the highway. I plan to reduce my intervals to 4-5k miles in consideration of the very short trips that I make.

I have put 5w30 and 5w40 in my Pathfinder and noticed no difference whatsoever.

Then put in low HTHS 5w30 and noticed just over 1/2 a mpg improvement.

Vehicle does the same use pattern all the time and the difference has been constant ever since.

Originally Posted By: TrevorS
Are you implying that Nissan only want a 20 weight if its synthetic?

Well, if it's calling for a 0w-20, you're certainly not going to find that in a conventional.
I still do not see any reason why synthetic oils should be subjected to a longer interval.

Your point about TBN retention on conventionals is well taken, but my point was a little bit different. If I were saddled with the 3750 mile OCI, I'd be looking to use the conventional and save a bit. That doesn't mean conventional isn't up to the task of the longer interval. It's just that if one is hit with a 3750 mile OCI, it's a shame to use something twice as expensive. If one "has to" and they were to call for only 0w-20, well, so be it.

As for extended drains, of course, it depends upon what you buy, along with many other factors, notably driving style. Several synthetics do meet ACEA long drain specifications and some offer guarantees as to OCI length.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back