0w20 For 2014+ GM EcoTec3 4.3L, 5.3L & 6.2L

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh my... a GM DI engine, with VVT and cylinder deactivation? And they are going to lighter oil too?

Those things will definitely keep BITOG hopping in the future!

Originally Posted By: jegs
The external belt driven oil pump is interesting.
You sure that is a belt driven oil pump? I wouldn't want that. The belt breaks and the motor is toast.

I guess it makes sense that they are going to use 20s more widely. I hope the Corvette doesn't. Almost every company making high performance models have went to 0w-40. Maybe it will too.

I honestly think the only thing keeping 5w-30 relevant in the US is GM's use of it. It's a popular Euro weight, but they are hard to come by here other than GC 0w-30.

Originally Posted By: 229
We should just trust them like AMsoil and Royal Purple.

Depends on who you ask. I'd prefer it to be licensed, but it's not.

Looks to me like they are trying anything they can to get another mpg. Variable output oil pumps and 0/20. Dont buy the first year.it might take some time to get the kinks worked out, like with the ford 04 5.4s.
I like the increased oil capacity! It helps when towing a lot, especially with a 20 grade.

Originally Posted By: Torrid

I honestly think the only thing keeping 5w-30 relevant in the US is GM's use of it. It's a popular Euro weight, but they are hard to come by here other than GC 0w-30.

That's hardly fair. There are plenty of non-GM cars on the road that are use 5w-30 oil as per the manufacturer's recommendation.

GM hasn't been selling as in years past and Toyota has moved away from the 5W-30 lately but some of us don't scrap our cars as soon as they get to be two years old. It just may be that a majority of cars on the road are still using 5W-30 in accordance with the manufacturer's recommendation.

It's not an oil pump.

Originally Posted By: GM
All engines feature an engine-driven mechanical vacuum pump to enhance braking performance

It's a vacuum pump to help with braking performance. Since there is no hydraulic power steering and a pump for a hydroboost setup they went with a vacuum setup.

Originally Posted By: electrolover
Looks to me like they are trying anything they can to get another mpg. Variable output oil pumps and 0/20. Dont buy the first year.it might take some time to get the kinks worked out, like with the ford 04 5.4s.
I like the increased oil capacity! It helps when towing a lot, especially with a 20 grade.

Are they equipped with an oil cooler too. In my opinion a truck,that will be used as a truck towing,pulling and generally driven hard when required should also have an oil cooler just to give a bit of headroom when running a 20 grade.
The 20 grades have proven themselves in a variety of applications and I'm finally getting on board with the idea that they provide engines designed with them in mind a long service life but in an application where they will be run hard it nice to have the peace of mind.
My hemi for example. It has a dedicated tranny rad and fan,a cooling system rad and fan and an oil cooler. It has a 6 quart sump. It has pulled a trailer most of its life. If not for that oil cooler I wouldn't be comfortable using a 20 grade when pulling a trailer or generally pushing the truck hard. The cooler keeps temps optimal for film strength.
An 8 quart sump may negate the need for an oil cooler but in the same breath that a lot of oil to get up to operating temp as well. A 0w-20 with a high viscosity index would almost be a must because of start up wear,and how long it will take before the oil becomes optimal temp.
All these concerns may be a non issue in actual operation but its something to keep in mind.

Im not sure if they will have an oil cooler.
I can tell you that there are many ford 5.4s with a 7 qt pan towing in dessert heat with out problems. And thise guys all run 5/20.
But I run 5/30 in mine to keep it from rattling.
lol.gif

Originally Posted By: wirelessF

It's not an oil pump.

All engines feature an engine-driven mechanical vacuum pump to enhance braking performance

It's a vacuum pump to help with braking performance. Since there is no hydraulic power steering and a pump for a hydroboost setup they went with a vacuum setup.

Thanks for the info. I nearly wet my pants over that one.

Originally Posted By: LeakySeals
Originally Posted By: buster
Quote:
My bet is that the typical fleet truck will be getting bulk 5w20 or 5w30 for the foreseeable future.

Agree. I also bet that in 2020, people will still be worried about the use of 20 grades, despite getting 150-200k miles of trouble free service from their engines. LOLOL

The sump capacity alone may be enough to keep people on 5w20/5w30 dino after a couple of costly oil changes.

And this is a problem...why?

Originally Posted By: yonyon
Originally Posted By: Torrid

That's hardly fair. There are plenty of non-GM cars on the road that are use 5w-30 oil as per the manufacturer's recommendation.

GM hasn't been selling as in years past and Toyota has moved away from the 5W-30 lately but some of us don't scrap our cars as soon as they get to be two years old. It just may be that a majority of cars on the road are still using 5W-30 in accordance with the manufacturer's recommendation.

I hope so. It may be an irrational concern, but as far as quality energy conserving 5w-30s go, GM's previous Corvette approval and now Dexos1 seem to be the most stringent standards. If they don't require it for new vehicles after a few years, what says some Dexos cert oils wouldn't go to doing bare minimum required for cost cutting if GM stopped pushing 5w-30 Dexos and only supported Xw-20s with approvals? Assuming a lot of course as many oils far surpass in quality but don't pay for Dexos licensing.

Originally Posted By: gonefishing
If you look close at the high-res engine photos, you can see 0W-20 on the oil fill cap on the 5.3L and 6.2L V8's. The 4.3L V6 has 5W-30 on the fill cap. Hmmmm....weird.

The article does mention 0W-20 for the V-8s only. Something must be different on the V-6 engines. Maybe they work harder towing the same load, so they get a slightly heavier oil spec?

Quote:
Oil capacity has been increased to six quarts for the 4.3L V-6 and eight quarts for the V-8 engines. All engines use GM’s Dexos oil for increased fuel efficiency and longer oil life, and V-8s are engineered to use 0W/20 oil to improve lubrication and reduce friction.

As long as the crank is at least nodular iron (preferably forged) and the bottom end is reinforced enough to eliminate flex any engine can be bullet proof on 20w or even lighter oils.

This is where my problem with this wholesale recommending of 20w arises.
Oil capacity and volume alone are not enough but regardless some will recommend 20w as a matter of course because another engine in the same family uses it without taking crank material, finish or block rigidity into account.

If everything is right there is absolutely nothing wrong with 20w or even lighter oils.
Its inevitable when the new 5.3 is out that some genius pops off with "well in the new 5.3 they spec 20w so it must be okay for the old ones".

Quite interesting. NOT!

No external oil pumps on these engines, can't tell what you were looking at.

I like the valve covers with catch can designed to help with the oil issues we see on so many new cars these days. With DI you are seeing more and more sophisticated oil separators being used.

I also love the oil squirters, there are a lot of advantages to controlling the pistons temp via this method. I'll bet they hardly ever retard the timing much under load.

Last edited:
Trav said:
As long as the crank is at least nodular iron (preferably forged) and the bottom end is reinforced enough to eliminate flex any engine can be bullet proof on 20w or even lighter oils.

This is where my problem with this wholesale recommending of 20w arises.
Oil capacity and volume alone are not enough but regardless some will recommend 20w as a matter of course because another engine in the same family uses it without taking crank material, finish or block rigidity into account.

If everything is right there is absolutely nothing wrong with 20w or even lighter oils.
Its inevitable when the new 5.3 is out that some genius pops off with "well in the new 5.3 they spec 20w so it must be okay for the old ones".
You're waving the red blanket at the raging bull.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: wirelessF

It's not an oil pump.

I remember those devices from the 70's when timing was retarded to meet the first emission rules. Back to the future.

Originally Posted By: buster
Quote:
My bet is that the typical fleet truck will be getting bulk 5w20 or 5w30 for the foreseeable future.

Agree. I also bet that in 2020, people will still be worried about the use of 20 grades, despite getting 150-200k miles of trouble free service from their engines. LOLOL
By them the preachers will have moved on to 5W or even 0W to rave about.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back