0w-20 suggestion for a 2013 prius

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: john_pifer
Talk to your local Toyota parts guy about buying in bulk. I've found them to be quite amenable to making deals if you're buying quantities or making a fairly large purchase.

+1 my dealer sells me everything at "case prices"

This TGMO you speak of is very interesting indeed. And at those prices it is only a little pricier than MO or PP. And if i can get case pricing it might become even more competitive.

Has anybody tried both TGMO and some other OTC to be able to compare them in real world application? Any noticeable differences?

Originally Posted By: QuickSilver

Has anybody tried both TGMO and some other OTC to be able to compare them in real world application? Any noticeable differences?

If you're referring to fuel economy, you will get better mileage with TGMO 0W-20. Whether you can actually measure the difference yourself is another question.

Your best 0W20s are

TGMO 0w20 (what I would run along with OE filter)
Mazda with Moly 0W20
Mobil 1 0W20 AFE (best value)
Redline 0W20 (high moly, expensive)
Amsoil 0W20 (pricey as well)

I would put RL 0W-20 at the bottom of the list of any 0W/5W-20 because with a HTHSV of 2.9cP it really is a light 0W-30.
Asmoil ASM 0W-20 would be near the bottom of last choice for the same reason, it's HTHSV is 2.8cP.

Toyota 0W-20 SN Virgin UOA

Iron 0.7
Nickel 0.0
Chromium 0.1
Titanium 0.2
Copper 0.0
Aluminum 1.5
Tin 0.7
Silicon 5.7
Potassium 0.0
Sodium 1.1
Boron 0.6
Barium 0.0
Calcium 2829
Magnesium 12
Molybdenum 124 Was 800 SM rated
Sodium 1.1
Phosphorus 906
Sulfur 3489
Zinc 910
Visc@40C 37.38
Visc@100C 8.54
VI 216
TBN 6.84

Originally Posted By: Shannow
Originally Posted By: CATERHAM
I would put RL 0W-20 at the bottom of the list of any 0W/5W-20 because with a HTHSV of 2.9cP it really is a light 0W-30.

No it's not...
http://www.widman.biz/English/Tables/J300.html

Yes it is, as those of us that have a fuller understanding of viscosity appreciate. The SAE grading system doesn't fully account for the fact that HTHSV trumps KV100.
This issue usually only raises it's head with certain boutique oil chemistries such as RL, MPT Thirty-K and the like.

CATERHAM...the SAE grading system IS the grading system.

If it meets the specs for 0W-20 under the SAE grading system...then it IS an SAE 0W-20, full stop.

It might have a higher than average HTHS, but it is still an SAE 0W-20...by definition...as that's the grading system.

And what's your point or are you once again simply arguing for the sake of arguing which I suspect.

When I say RL 0W-20 is really as 0W-30 that's because it has it has the operational viscosity most typical of a light 0W-30. In fact anyone trying RL should heed their advice when they suggest dropping a grade when trying one of their motor oils.
Unfortunately, RL doesn't have any PCMO lighter than their 0W-20.

Yes all the bashing of certain motor oils just because of the HTHS or other viscosity specs.....none of the specs on paper matters if the oil is showing good UOA!!!! The truth of the matter any of the oils mentioned on this thread will work. Use what you feel good about....as for me Amsoil Signature Series gives me great UOA at 10k intervals and I like the additives that it contains so that is what I use. My list has Amsoil at the top. Pennzoil would be number 2 and Kendall full syn 3rd.....why???? Because that's MY opinion

hello all,

Im looking for your suggestions on a 0w-20 (that's that through manual calls for) for a 2013 prius. My goal is fuel efficiency and engine longevity. Normally i would go to walmart and find the cheapest oilthat meets spec. However in this case Mobil-1 PP and valvoline syn is all the same price.

Why use an aftermarket oil while ExxonMobil's TGMO 0W-20 SN is specifically blended for Toyota Prius?

Mobil 1 0W-20 SN has a lot of magnesium, which is potentially bad for extended drains.
Valvoline? Does it even have moly?
PP? So-so, nothing fancy.

Originally Posted By: lubedude13
Yes all the bashing of certain motor oils just because of the HTHS or other viscosity specs.....none of the specs on paper matters if the oil is showing good UOA!!!!

I'm not bashing any oil least of which RL 0W-20. If I could get it for the same price as TGMO I'd consider using it my BMW or even my Porsche, not only because it has a HTHSV of a 30 grade but also for it's very high ZDDP level. It's just that this non API race oil is not suitable for a Prius or any 20 grade application for that matter.
As for UOA, it certainly won't tell you if you're running an oil that's way heavier than necessary. There are plenty of decent UOAs running 40 grade oils in 20 grade app's but that doesn't mean you are benefiting in any way from doing so. Heck, you could probably run a 20W-50 in the summer and get good UOA results, but that wouldn't be proof that you should or do you still think so?

Originally Posted By: Gokhan
hello all,

Im looking for your suggestions on a 0w-20 (that's that through manual calls for) for a 2013 prius. My goal is fuel efficiency and engine longevity. Normally i would go to walmart and find the cheapest oilthat meets spec. However in this case Mobil-1 PP and valvoline syn is all the same price.

Why use an aftermarket oil while ExxonMobil's TGMO 0W-20 SN is specifically blended for Toyota Prius?

Mobil 1 0W-20 SN has a lot of magnesium, which is potentially bad for extended drains.

Why use aftermarket when TGMO is specifically blended for Prius? Because I assumed (that's a bad word right?) that since it was Toyota branded it was needlessly over priced. T.O.Y.O.T.A (Too Often Yankees Overprice This Auto) I assumed (oops) TGMO was some cheap oil that Toyota slapped their name on to get you to pay more for it while they make an obscene profit. I stand severely corrected. Judging from all the rave reviews I will definitely go down to my dealer now to check them out. However - if the price is too far above PP or M-1 AFE - I just may go to walmart instead - there are more walmarts than there are Toyota dealerships. My original question was asking for a opinion between M-1 and PP since they were the same price at my walmart ($25 for 5 quart jug).

That being said - Im really hoping I can get a good price on TGMO because I am now strongly preferring it to the others.

One issue that is particular to the prius - the engine does a lot of automatic turning on / shutting off. Its not your standard car that runs the engine the whole time you are driving. It shuts off at low speeds, on coasting, at stop lights, etc... On cold days that means potentially running a cold engine for a very long period of time (engine turns off before it warms up - cools down - turns on again - shuts off before being fully warm).

So I would assume (there's that word again) cold startup protection would be a priority for a prius. In y'alls opinion - is TGMO best suited for this?

TGMO is thinner at all non fully warmed up temps than M1 0w20, so it should maximize fuel economy.

Whether it gives more protection is debated by some but it shouldn't give less.

So yes, according to Toyota and others it is particularly suited for the Prius more so in colder conditions.

Originally Posted By: TrevorS
TGMO is thinner at all non fully warmed up temps than M1 0w20, so it should maximize fuel economy.

So yes, according to Toyota and others it is particularly suited for the Prius more so in colder conditions.

Actually, IIRC, M1 0w-20 has a lower MRV and CCS, so at extreme cold temps, M1 0w-20 is actually thinner.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL

Actually, IIRC, M1 0w-20 has a lower MRV and CCS, so at extreme cold temps, M1 0w-20 is actually thinner.

You're probably right, although we don't know the MRV or CCS spec's of the latest SN version of TGMO.
The more expensive and less readily available Sustina 0W-20 does have an MRV on par with M1 0W-20 and is even lighter than TGMO at operating temp's due to it's higher VI.

Originally Posted By: CATERHAM
Originally Posted By: OVERKILL

You're probably right, although we don't know the MRV or CCS spec's of the latest SN version of TGMO.
The more expensive and less readily available Sustina 0W-20 does have an MRV on par with M1 0W-20 and is even lighter than TGMO at operating temp's due to it's higher VI.

Yeah, isn't its availability on-par with Unicorn fur? LOL
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: Gokhan
hello all,

Why use aftermarket when TGMO is specifically blended for Prius? Because I assumed (that's a bad word right?) that since it was Toyota branded it was needlessly over priced. T.O.Y.O.T.A (Too Often Yankees Overprice This Auto) I assumed (oops) TGMO was some cheap oil that Toyota slapped their name on to get you to pay more for it while they make an obscene profit. I stand severely corrected. Judging from all the rave reviews I will definitely go down to my dealer now to check them out. However - if the price is too far above PP or M-1 AFE - I just may go to walmart instead - there are more walmarts than there are Toyota dealerships. My original question was asking for a opinion between M-1 and PP since they were the same price at my walmart ($25 for 5 quart jug).

That being said - Im really hoping I can get a good price on TGMO because I am now strongly preferring it to the others.

All TGMO viscosities sold in US are made and distributed to dealers by ExxonMobil under exclusive contract with Toyota Motor Corporation. You wouldn't expect Toyota to use generic oil as their OEM, factory-fill, break-in oil.

TGMO isn't overpriced. However, Toyota dealers like most car dealers rip the customers off with huge profit margins and they charge them as much as they can. You can try negotiating to see if it works. I can usually get the TGMO 0W-20 SN for about $5 - 6 a quart after negotiating.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back