0w-20 suggestion for a 2013 prius

Status
Not open for further replies.
hello all,

Im looking for your suggestions on a 0w-20 (that's that through manual calls for) for a 2013 prius. My goal is fuel efficiency and engine longevity. Normally i would go to walmart and find the cheapest oilthat meets spec. However in this case Mobil-1 PP and valvoline syn is all the same price.

Oh and the planned OCI will be 7500 miles (compromise between 5000 and 10000 in the manual for regular and severe schedules)

What kind of driving do you do?

If you drive highway a fair amount, I'd go TGMO and change every 10,000.

Lot of city, I'd still do TGMO and do every 7500.

Talk to your local Toyota parts guy about buying in bulk. I've found them to be quite amenable to making deals if you're buying quantities or making a fairly large purchase.

Originally Posted By: john_pifer
Talk to your local Toyota parts guy about buying in bulk. I've found them to be quite amenable to making deals if you're buying quantities or making a fairly large purchase.

Yes the best engine lube for the Prius is TGMO 0W-20.
I think all Toyota/Lexus dealers are now being supplied with TGMO 0W-20 in bulk. If you can't get a good deal on the bottled oil then having the parts guy fill up a couple of 5 quart jugs at a discount for you may be the way to go.

Why would anyone go to the trouble of buying Toyota Motor Oil? It's certainly not made by Toyota...I'd stick with the Mobil1 or any reputable synthetic.

Originally Posted By: atlanta_shooter
Why would anyone go to the trouble of buying Toyota Motor Oil?

You know the feeling you get looking at the Sports Illustrated Swimsuit Edition? Yeah, that's the same thing some of the guys here experience looking at oil data sheets...

Why would anyone go to the trouble of buying Toyota Motor Oil? It's certainly not made by Toyota...I'd stick with the Mobil1 or any reputable synthetic.

First welcome to BITOG.

TGMO 0W-20 actually is made by Mobil to Toyota's specifications.
It is a unique formulation specifically designed for the Prius although it is now specified for most if not all Toyota/Lexus models. There are no virtually no aftermarket 0W-20 oils that have the same viscosity characteristics as TGMO for the price.

There are a few threads reviewing the product if you want to read them.

Originally Posted By: Ramblejam

You know the feeling you get looking at the Sports Illustrated Swimsuit Edition? Yeah, that's the same thing some of the guys here experience looking at oil data sheets...

Oh man, that's the funniest thing I've ever read on this site.

Originally Posted By: Ramblejam

I'm not only one who have that feeling ?

Sorry to say, but I've got oil catalogues (Caltex and Mobil) next to the throne.

to the OP, the only thing that I haven't heard about TGMO is that Toyota designed the Prius around a block the miracle elixer that IS TGMO, in the shape of a sump, but I'm sure that's coming.

If you can get it, it's probably as good as it gets for your application.

Over the counter oils if go with Pennzoil platinum (personal preference). TGMO would be my next choice.
I personally use Amsoil Signature Series in my camry. UOA come back with low wear metals and oil life left at 10,000 miles.

I never knew TGMO was so good. I thought it was just a ploy by Toyota to make you spend more money by forcing you into the dealership. So how much does TGMO go for?

Originally Posted By: QuickSilver
I never knew TGMO was so good. I thought it was just a ploy by Toyota to make you spend more money by forcing you into the dealership. So how much does TGMO go for?

Yes, Its a great oil. I just picked some up for $5.85 a quart at the nearest Toyota dealer here in FL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back