09 Outlook 3.6 DI Valv. Synpower 5w30 4681 miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
My first UOA ever. I will attempt to do this properly.

2009 Saturn Outlook 3.6L direct injection. 18,294 on car
and 4,681 on Valvoline Synpower 5w30 sm gf-4 with 3oz of
auto-rx maintenance dose. This car has only seen this oil
from day one. I chose this oil cause it is suppose to have a lower NOACK value amoung the readily available (walmart)synthetic oils.

This was a late winter,spring and early summer OCI. 60/40 mix
of highway/intown driving with 500 miles of towing a U-haul.
Using a wix oil filter. No make up oil.

Lab work done by Butler Cat Bismarck ND. I can just drop the sample off and have the results the same day. This is where Stinky Peterson who posted many VOA, used to work before he passed away.

I am new at this and these values don't mean much to me. I am looking to see if 5,000 miles is the limit on this oil? I understand that these engines are hard on oil.

Code:

Date Taken: 7/1/11

Miles On Unit 18294

Miles On Oil 4681

TBN 2.0

Label Visc 5w30

Visc SAE 20

Visc 100c 9.1

Physical

Antifreeze N

Fuel Dilution N

Water N

Cu 3

Fe 34

Cr 1

Ni 1

Ti 0

V 0

Ag 0

Pb 3

Sn 1

Al 3

Si 4

Na 262

K 2

Mo 3

B 0

Ba 0

Ca 1768

Mg 19

Mn 0

P 606

Sb 7

Zn 762

FTIR Analysis

Sulf 28

Oxide 28

Nitr 12

PQ

Ferrous

Debris 5

I don't know if the 3oz for auto-rx shows in the results or not.

Comments from Butler Cat: Test results appear to indicate normal levels for this comparment. More data and samples are needed to forma good wear trend. Continue to monitor by sampling at the recomended interval.

So any comments from you guys?

It didn't shear much, no fuel dilution, and OK wear metals.

Looks like Synpower at 5K intervals is working for you, as far as I can tell.

Iron is 34 but nothing else looks excessive. At 18,000 could it still be breaking in?

Forgot to add that the OLM was at 65% (non adjusted) and
the test kit from butler cat was $25 with TBN.

I have this same engine in an 09 Acadia. I'm doing 5k OCI's on syn(PP). Your report looks good to me and makes me think that the 5k oci is right for this DI engine. Thanks for sharing.

did you get your OLM calibration updated at the dealer? looks like you need to. I think 6000 is likely the limit for your engine and oil combo. also you might want to use the oil filter listed for the 2011 up models they hold more oil.
GM did not calibrate the OLM properly on this engine, its a almost 300hp engine pulling a heavy SUV, with only 5.5 quarts of oil in the sump.
but, yea, see your dealer if they can make sure your Powertrain Control Module has the latest update for OLM calibration.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Ross
OLM has not been adusted yet. Next time that I am at the dealer I will have it done.

Why? Isn't that the ideal behind your UOA? If you think 5k oil changes are what works for your vehicle, the who cares what the OLM states.

TBN of 2 on a syn blend should allow 2K MORE miles add to a summer OCI, though unsure of the auto rx effect. This is reserve alkalinity - TBN of 1 is servicable. When you have NO reserve you may want to think about changing the oil. More caution is required in a winter OCI. Those with a harsh winter may be best served by a 2x per annum OCI: late fall through early spring, then the spring thru late fall.

Thanks for the info on the TBN. I was worried about it. My plans are to run this for about the same OCI, and check the results again.

I Dont look at TAN on gas engines; but I will read the article, Thanks!
smile.gif

Last edited:
Isn't it fairly certain that acidity levels rise/fall with every oil change, some starting TAN numbers with synthetics appear higher in VOA and then how does that number moving during the course of the OCI? That's what I'd like to know. Otherwise, if say TAN is 2-3 for syn 1, how bad is it if TAN goes to 3-4 even though TBN drops to 2 over 10,000 miles, for instance?

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
I Dont look at TAN on gas engines; but I will read the article, Thanks!
smile.gif

On the other hand WebCheck http://www.wearcheck.com/ doesn't look at TBN in gasoline engines. So it appears to be a matter for debate. I tend to feel that the sweet spot is closer to where the TBN and TAN meet. Polaris says it's when TBN is 50 to 65% depleted. I'd bet you're flirting with varnish, deposits and sludge by running it to 1. Just my opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back