05 Legacy GT - 87k - Rotella T6 5w-40 - 7k on oil!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am really glad to see this report. I have an 09 Outback 2.5i Limited. It has the 4 cylinder engine N/A. I have been using T6 for about a year now I guess. I do 30,000+ miles a year 90%+ highway. Glad to see this oil holding up so well. I am almost out of warranty so I think I will try to go 10K OCI's with this oil. Do you all think that would be warranted or just stick with the 7500?

Originally Posted By: ZZman
I am still disappointed with the low detergent levels. I thought Rotella was in the low to mid 2,000 range?

(Some of the older UOA;s show this)

I guess I would want more detergents if I was running long OCI's

Almost 3800 posts and still nothing of value in this post. Amazing. Have you learned anything of value during your time here?

Originally Posted By: thunderchild
I am really glad to see this report. I have an 09 Outback 2.5i Limited. It has the 4 cylinder engine N/A. I have been using T6 for about a year now I guess. I do 30,000+ miles a year 90%+ highway. Glad to see this oil holding up so well. I am almost out of warranty so I think I will try to go 10K OCI's with this oil. Do you all think that would be warranted or just stick with the 7500?

I've seen good 10k mile uoa's on Wal-Mart SuperTech in an n/a Forester. Although, I would probably only extend it to 10k with Rotella based on good uoa's

I am still disappointed with the low detergent levels. I thought Rotella was in the low to mid 2,000 range?

..5000+ mile drive..just got back my report useing the T5 semi syn..the values are about the same as above but the "calcium" reads almost 2500

Run the oil to 10k and get a TBN.

7.5k is wasting money :)

80% highway isn't stressing engine or oil at all.

Originally Posted By: unDummy
Run the oil to 10k and get a TBN.

My thought, exactly.

Just yesterday, I drew off a sample of my 2003 Deville's Rotella T Synthetic 5w40 at almost 10,000 miles and sent it to Blackstone for analysis. 5,000 mile UOAs have been excellent on this engine with the Rotella and I decided to give 10,000 miles a try. Assuming all the wear metals look as good as they have in the past, I'll probably make the decision on whether to do it again based on the TBN.

I was a 3,000 mile oil changer up until a few years ago when I tried 5,000 miles with a UOA, so this is a big change for me. All the cases of bad sludge I saw when working on engines in my father's shop as a teenager in the 1960s caused me to obsess over oil all these years.

You are thinking detergent = calcium, I believe. Rotella is an HDEO and it is a high detergency diesel oil. I don't know the chemistry, but they reformulated it a year or two ago to drop the calcium and increase the magnesium. I think they knew what they were doing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back