05 G35 Jatco 5AT < Nissan Matic-S > 11,544mi

Status
Not open for further replies.
d709cf1b.png

I had a flush done at the dealer at 40k on Jan 5th and they flushed it with 12 quarts of Matic-S. The system holds 10-7/8 Qt's. The fluid in their before was Matic-J, which was the original factory fill.

What TAN number is classified as too acidic?

Need a VOA with TAN on the Matic J and S since even with a 12 quart flush, there are probably a couple quarts of old ATF in there.

~75ppm wear in 11.5k miles is high.

How did you get the "75ppm" from?

Remember this transmission does not have a filter so everything recirculates.

It has filters. One doesn't filter fine enough. And, the other is limited to magnetic wear. Those are what the genius auto engineers accept as adequate.

Yes Indymac. Add 'em up.

I will usually add a ~ or ± because there might be some metal in a VOA that we don't need to worry about.

Also, don't forget the ~±10% lab inaccuracy.

I will surmise that much of the wear we see if from the leftover quarts that weren't flushed out.

Originally Posted By: unDummy
It has filters. One doesn't filter fine enough. And, the other is limited to magnetic wear. Those are what the genius auto engineers accept as adequate.

Yes Indymac. Add 'em up.

I will usually add a ~ or ± because there might be some metal in a VOA that we don't need to worry about.

Also, don't forget the ~±10% lab inaccuracy.

I will surmise that much of the wear we see if from the leftover quarts that weren't flushed out.

From what I hear it just has a screen but no actual filter you can change. Would the Magnefine Inline filter be a good investment? I know some people who say they are useless and "The Engineers who build the transmission knew what they were doing so you don't need it"

I can install one at my next interval for changing out the fluid (69k)

How many quarts would you say is enough to flush out the old fluid?

Magnefine, Racor, Permacool, Wix, Filtran... are an excellent choice and investment. Install one as soon as possible.

A screen is a filter.

Engineers think they know what they're doing and are the cause of all TSB's, recalls, known issues....

There is more to flushing out an old fluid than the quantity of quarts. But, after a pan drop, magnet cleaning, filter inspection or replacement, ATF cooler cleaning, refilling pan... then the 3-4 gallon machine flush is adequate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back