05 Accord Engine Pics with Sonus Motorkote

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Bill in Utah
Looks good.

I've NEVER cleaned the engine of any vehicle I've had. And like webfors I've not washed the Corolla in a year.

Wish I had the time to get to things like that.

+1. Wish I had time for this, because that sure looks good. Does it get applied to metal parts to prevent metal corrosion?

Can you walk through the steps from dirty engine to this?

Buster, may I have permission to eat off your engine?
grin.gif
It looks great. I have detailed my engine bay a few times in the past, and in my case, it just isn't worth it. We do our fair share of driving on dirt roads, so any work done to pretty up the engine bay doesn't last too long; especially in my Focus, since it has no under-engine belly pan, like our Fusion does.

Bill, it takes about 45 minutes, maybe quicker. It's not a time killer at all. Doing in by hand takes awhile. The products mentioned above are spray on and walk away.

1. Spray down cool engine with Simple Green Pro HD which is safe for aluminum. Home Depot carries it.
2. Use a brush of some sort and scrub the entire engine.
3. Rinse and let dry.
4. Apply Motorkote or whatever type of detailer you choose.

It's tricky to apply. You have to put it in very thin. Wait 15-20 minutes to dry, then put another coat on. Close hood and you're done....

The CD2 looks just as good on my wife's car. It's also a spray on and walk away product, but it's chemistry is entirely different. Sonus is an acrylic wax. They say it replaces OEM factory engine treatment.

CD2 would be my next choice. I think for northeast winters, the Sonus is a good choice.

Originally Posted By: buster
Bill, it takes about 45 minutes, maybe quicker. It's not a time killer at all. Doing in by hand takes awhile. The products mentioned above are spray on and walk away.

1. Spray down cool engine with Simple Green Pro HD which is safe for aluminum. Home Depot carries it.
2. Use a brush of some sort and scrub the entire engine.
3. Rinse and let dry.
4. Apply Motorkote or whatever type of detailer you choose.

It's tricky to apply. You have to put it in very thin. Wait 15-20 minutes to dry, then put another coat on. Close hood and you're done....

So do you make any effort to protect electrical connectors, alternator, belts, etc?

Do you dilute the simple green?

What kind of brush do you use?

How do you deal with the soft sound insulation under the hood?

How do you deal with overspray onto painted surfaces?

LOL

I cover the alternator and maybe 1 or 2 electrical connectors with press n seal. The key is to just hose it off lightly and don't use a pressure washer. 99% of engines are water resistant, but obviously you have to be careful too.

I used a 4:1 for the SG.

I got the brush at AZ, nothing special. You can use a paintbrush if you have them on hand.

With this stuff you definitely have to apply it thin. You can put towels near the bumper and round the painted surfaces, otherwise just wipe off the overspray real quick. Keep it 12-18" away from the engine when spraying it on.

The CD2 is a much easier product to use and much less finicky. I suggest that if you don't want to get overly involved with applying a finish to your engine.

The Motorkote is said to be more durable. I'll see how it holds up over the next few months.

http://www.ultimatecarcaremalta.com/arti...&artlang=en

A good link about it.

Quote:
Is Sonus Trim & Motor Kote flammable?

Absolutely no! Sonus Trim & Motor Kote is non-flammable & its chemical composition is stable at temperatures of up to 280oC. That’s why this product is the ideal engine revitalizer/protectant.

Quote:
Will Sonus Trim & Motor Kote leave a sticky residue upon drying?

Absolutely no! Sonus Trim & Motor Kote will dry completely leaving behind a beautiful non-greasy finish. In other words, if you pass your hand over the treated surface you will feel absolutely nothing. In this way dust & dirt won’t stick to the treated surface. Instead it will wash away easier than ever before.

Looks great! I have the same engine in my crv and used the Gunk Shine Engine Protector. It works well and looks great but it is a bit on the sticky side and does attract some dirt. Also I am not a fan of the smell it leaves behind. I think I will try the Sonus next.

Btw, I like to use Hondabrite cleaner for the engine bay. It works well and is supposedly safe for plastic and aluminum.

Originally Posted By: Jaykim81
Looks great! I have the same engine in my crv and used the Gunk Shine Engine Protector. It works well and looks great but it is a bit on the sticky side and does attract some dirt. Also I am not a fan of the smell it leaves behind. I think I will try the Sonus next.

Btw, I like to use Hondabrite cleaner for the engine bay. It works well and is supposedly safe for plastic and aluminum.

Good to know, thanks! Never heard of Hondabrite.

The Gunk Engine Shine would be my next choice, being CD2 has been discontinued again. Oh, and Stoner's Trim Shine is supposedly good too.
cheers3.gif

I don't understand why the cd2 keeps getting discontinued. I heard it is amazing stuff! The Hondabrite is basically a relabeled s100 motorcycle cleaner. It is a detergent based cleaner instead of a solvent based cleaner. I used to use solvents to clean my engine bay but stopped when I noticed that it would cause the wiring harness wraps to unwrap.

I agree. It's weird that it keeps getting discontinued. Have you tried Trim Shine? That is real easy to use. The Sonus is good, just more difficult to apply.

Originally Posted By: buster

.........good to know, thanks! Never heard of Hondabrite.

"Hondabrite, by the makers of S100, is a special water based detergent that works on both petroleum and non-petroleum soils. Its powerful surfactants clean paint, chrome, alloy, plastic and rubber, leaving a "brite" shine with little or no scrubbing necessary. Great for cleaning wheels!

Spray on / hose off (super clean in minutes!)
Removes dirt, oil, road grime, and insects
Biodegradable ingredients!
Comes with spray handle."

Last edited:
Update. This stuff really lasts and protects. It bonds with the plastic and won't wash off. I got some on the side view mirror by accident about a month ago and it's still there. Engine still looks good.

Cool, how did you apply it?

Unlike other products, this stuff actually protects and will outlast the others.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back