04 Acura TSX Castrol Edge w/ti 5w-30 5.1k oci

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pretty happy with the Castrol edge. However magnesium seems high. Should I be concerned?

Due to short oci there was no make up oil.

Changed out with Amsoil AZO. Curious to see how that performs vs the ASL

Code:

Car: 2004 Acura TSX

Miles on car: 212.9k 218.0k

Miles on Oil: 10.4k 5.1k

Oil Used: ASL 5w-30 Castrol Edge Titanium 5w-30

Oil changed 8/31/12 1/11/13

Aluminum 3 3

Chromium 0 0

Iron 12 5

Copper 1 1

Lead 3 0

Tin 0 2

Molybdenum 113 75

Nickel 1 0

Manganese 0 0

Silver 0 0

Titanium 0 36

Potassium 4 2

Boron 66 35

Silicon 16 12

Sodium 8 5

Calcium 3498 1162

Magnesium 15 1102

Phosphorus 661 654

Zinc 764 780

Barium 0 0

Properties

SUS viscosity 59.8 53.5

cST Viscosity 10.16 8.33

Flashpoint 375 350

Fuel %
Antifreeze % 0.0 0.0

Water % 0.0 0.0

Insolubles % .3 .4

TBN 2.5 4.1

Magnesium is an additive. Since the SN standard has been released the amount of Magnesium has been going up in some oils' formulations in lieu of high calcium. Your above two OCIs being perfect example, Amsoil chose high calcium whereas Castrol chose to boost magnesium and keep calcium moderate. Mobil1 and Rotella T6 are also using the magnesium strategy in recent times.

Looks like the Castrol oil won, but only just as Iron tracks miles.
The Magnesium is an alternative to Calcium and seems to do a real good job, although it is not easy to see how well detergents work from a few UOA results.

Last edited:
Following UOA's on here for some time, iron appears to be a false positive for some oils. Mobil 1 for example shows similar iron counts from a short UOA to a 10k UOA. So a lot of it could be a lab interpenetration of the chemistry. The ones to watch are lead, aluminum and copper. Lead and copper (sometimes aluminum) are indicators for bearing wear. At 3ppm for lead that's (assuming, no universal avg listed) well below avg for 10k.

To clarify, the metal composition and the % of each a manufacturer uses for bearings in an engine may vary. In addition to lead and copper, tin may also be present in the top level of the main bearings.

I'm liking Edge's TBN retention. They are using a very similar additive system as M1, only more Mg. Mobil doesn't use Ti of course.

Originally Posted By: LeakySeals
To clarify, the metal composition and the % of each a manufacturer uses for bearings in an engine may vary. In addition to lead and copper, tin may also be present in the top level of the main bearings.

Copper figures are difficult to interpret because it can come from oil coolers as well as bearings. It is also effected by changes in oil type, which is one reason for not changing the type of oil too often if you are doing UOA. A lot of folks think you can spot an impending turbo failure from an increasing Copper figure, BUT if the failure is caused by lack of lubrication in the form of a blocked oil feed line, there is no warning from UOA results.

anyone notice that EDGE sheared down to a 20 weight in 5k miles while Amsoil remained relatively shear resistant for 10k miles ???? Good report btw!

Thanks for posting. I would extend to 10k and get TAN and TBN; my guess is that you'll see an excellent UAO. I'd consider switching to 0W-30 that meets the A5/B5 spec. I ran RL 0W-30 to 10k OCI's an '05 TSX with excellent UOA's. IMO, in this engine, there is no need for synthetic at a 5k OCI. Hope this helps.

thanks everyone.

I feel better about the magnesium. I supposed I should have search it before broadcasting my lack of knowledge.

If I'd of run it much further I would have needed to add some make up oil. The day of the change I'd say it would have taking .5 to .75 qts. if I was going for a longer oci.

Does make up oil effect tested viscosity during extended oci's.

thanks

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: lutherbelle
thanks everyone.

I feel better about the magnesium. I supposed I should have search it before broadcasting my lack of knowledge.

If I'd of run it much further I would have needed to add some make up oil. The day of the change I'd say it would have taking .5 to .75 qts. if I was going for a longer oci.

Does make up oil effect tested viscosity during extended oci's.

thanks

The change to Magnesium based detergents is fairly recent and I've only seen a few VOA's with it used more than Calcium detergents.
The effect of make up oil depends on how much you need, but it's unlikely to make a big difference in the final viscosity, although it can cause quite a jump up in a low TBN reading.
I tend to regard shearing to a lower viscosity as normal and the only concern is to make sure the final figure is within the manufacturers limits. For example if an engine is OK on a 30 or 40 grade and you use a 40 that shears down to a 30 all is well, BUT if you start with a 30 and finish in the 20's that's not so good. Which is one reason why if you have to use a 20 grade, it should be a top quality full synthetic long life one (Often an 0/20)that doesn't shear too much, not some 5/20 supermarket or cheapo dealers bulk dino horror story that finishes up as a 10 grade.

Last edited:
@skyship : Yes and no. If you notice 5w20 is a weight unique to North America. Most of the 5w30 weights in the market shear down to a thick 20 weight over the service life. There are some boutique and high end oils that do retain their Viscosity better than others. In OP's case, his 5w30 weight oil has sheared down to a thickness which is less than of some 20 weight oils in the market. Most 5w20 oils are more shear stable than their 5w30 counterparts. It also depends on the application, like in OP's case, its probably the timing chain in that high output 4 cyl thats causing the shear. Amsoil seems to take the beating better than Castrol.

If it were my car, I would give PU 5w30 a run for 7.5k mile oci and get a UOA to check the wear and shear. For a few dollars more, PU with its PAO+GTL base oils might be able to resist shear better than Castrol did. Less shear, better HT/HS retention, lesser wear.

Originally Posted By: bourne

If it were my car, I would give PU 5w30 a run for 7.5k mile oci and get a UOA to check the wear and shear. For a few dollars more, PU with its PAO+GTL base oils might be able to resist shear better than Castrol did. Less shear, better HT/HS retention, lesser wear.

Maybe I'll give that a try after 7500 on the Amsoil AZO 0-30.

First 200,000 i was pretty stuck in habit; Amsoil ASL or mobil 1 5w-30.

Not sure if its boredom or curiosity.

Last edited:
this is really good result. i regret replacing my castrol edge 5w-30...only had 3000 miles on them. just a question how do you drive this car? do you floor it from time to time?

Originally Posted By: bourne
anyone notice that EDGE sheared down to a 20 weight in 5k miles while Amsoil remained relatively shear resistant for 10k miles ???? Good report btw!
No - would say thats fuel dilution.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back