0W30 in Kerrville, Tx

Status
Not open for further replies.
Imagine my surprise to find the local Autozone has re-stocked Castrol 0W30!

I don't understand American business practices. Take it from the shelf; pretend you aren't going to carry it; and put it back on the shelf many months later.
confused.gif

hi. I live in Kerrville. Great to see another forum memeber here! Is that 0-30 a good oil? gtive me a shout out! Not much real heat this year requiring specific oil , right?

can i ask why you'd even want a 0W-30 in Texas? If you need a 30W, a 10W-30 would be a much more shear stable oil. You certainly don't need a -40 pour point.

Quote:

can i ask why you'd even want a 0W-30 in Texas? If you need a 30W, a 10W-30 would be a much more shear stable oil. You certainly don't need a -40 pour point.

I thought it was all about cold start up protection no matter what climate. GC has HTHS of around 12.1 cSt. My own GC UOA's show no shearing at 100C.

I too would like to know of GC shearing or any 0W30 oil that is less shear stable than 10W30. Can you point me to some evidence of this?

I plan on using RLI's 0W30 vs. their 10W30 offerings in a hot climate. Would your assertion of 0W30 being less stable than a 10W30 apply here as well? The PDS on RLI's 0W30 looks superior to their 10W30 oil. I will phone RLI's tech on shearing and HTHS before I order.

Bowser

I should have typed GC has an HTHS of 3.5, a viscosity of around 12.1 cSt. at 100C degrees. It does well for me in the heat of So. Cal.

Muchos Gracias

Bowser

Quote:

hi. I live in Kerrville. Great to see another forum memeber here! Is that 0-30 a good oil? gtive me a shout out! Not much real heat this year requiring specific oil , right?

Howdy Back!!!

Right on!!! Its been cooler this year and wetter!! IMO, ambient is only relative to start up. Once the engine is at operating temperature its running about 100C or 212F (regardless of ambient temp)so its the "30" part that counts . Even when towing, the oil temp stays about the same as the cold side of the radiator (~220F).

My Toyota calls for 5W30 but I use 0W30 for several reasons: its ACEA A3/B3/B4 and VW 502.xx qualified; it has greater start up protection than a 5W regardless of ambient temps; performs as a 30 grade oil at operating temperature; and, oil analysis I've done on Syntec 0W-30 at 7500 miles (including 5K towing) OCI clearly demonstrated that it stays in grade, protects the engine and has plenty of reserve TBN for several thousands more miles of use.... should I ever need it.

That being said, I live two blocks from a high speed highway. Comforting to be able to fire up and jump up to speed without worrying about oil flow problems.

In the absence of 0W30 at the local 'zone, I researched and discovered that Castrol's Syntec 5W-30 is now ACEA A1/A5/B1/B5 qualified. The new A1/A5 qualification brings it up to the same standard as the old A3/B3 in addition to being 'energy conserving.' However, I'll go back to 0W-30 next oil change as I think it is a better oil....absent analysis.

Cheers!

To Siber Igel and Dickdog1,

You live in one of my favorate areas. I love the Kerrville area. Years ago, I used to stay at a little Mom & Pop Motel called "The Sands Motel" on Junction Hwy. I stayed there as late as 2001, but on my last visit to Kerrville, I found out that the Sands had been torn down, and they built a bank in that location. Probably because they built Wal-Mart across the road on Junction Hwy. Ended up staying in a big name motel close to I-10.

I normally drive there by going around San Antonio, then picking up TX-16, first to Bandara (having lunch at the OST Restaurant), then to Medina (having apple turnovers at the apple store), then continue on TX-16 to Kerrville. Last couple times there though, I see that the streach of TX-16 between San Antonio and Bandara is getting very built up. Too bad. Next thing you know, the "Ingram Loop" will be built up also . (Once had a bunch of geese chase me after I crossed that little bridge [the old bridge, not the newer replacement] over the river in Ingram).

Love that drive out 337, 187 and 39. Also like to visit "Stonehendge" on 1340.

Perhaps I will return to visit in a year or two.

Oh yes, back to the subject of Oil. You should not have any problems with GC 0W-30 out there, even in the year that has a hot summer, as I've been using it here in Central Florida all year, and this year has been HOT and Humid. No Problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back