Best 9mm for the money?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I used a gun from the range when I qualified for my CHL last week. It was a Glock 9mm semi auto. What`s the best 9mm semi auto for the money (plus I want the smallest one possible)? I really liked the feel and power of that caliber,plus I`ve seen some really small/lightweight models and the ammo seems to be easy to find. I currently own a 380 and the ammo is next to impossible to find.

The new Glock Generation IV. G-19 is a great carry gun. Get one with night sites...hardly no recoil and easy to get tight groups...nice price for such a reliable gun too.

15 +1 rounds.

Use Winchester PDX1 Self defense bonded hollow points as they are the same as Ranger LE (FBI/DEA/HLS/HRT) ammo. Amazing ballistic reports.

The one and only gun you will need.

Lube it with FP-10.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 05ChevyI5
Glock. Reliability and price is hard to beat. My carry is a G19.

A Com-Tac holster is amazing as well...very concealable and comfortable. Purchase online.

There are a whole lot of nice 9mm on the market. You have to feel them all and pick out your favorite . I don't think you could go wrong with a 9mmc any size Glock . Don't forget to buy a handfull of spare mags for what ever choice of pistol you buy. Look on line there is some 380 comming on the market. 9 mm is a better choice for availability. . 308. 223 ,9mm amd 40S@W are the military police and homeland security calibers . That is why even during the panic buying/shortages there was a smattering of those calibers available. Remember to stock up on ammo . Just like food and other emergency needs if there is an emergency it will be too late to supply

Best for the money and size? Ruger SR9C.

img0709y.jpg

Love mine. Best trigger of any striker I've found (and I've owned Glocks, Own S&W M&P (which would be my 2nd choice but $$$ and shot XP and others)

The Ruger is very accurate, comes with both a full size 17 round and 10 compact round mag, small enough to carry but very reliable.

For around $300 you can get a Kel-tec. My Dad just bought one and while its accurate, the trigger is the worst thing I've shot.

Bill

Picking a gun is like picking a girl, you have to go to the gun shop and look and touch. Glocks are a Great gun, but I hate mine, I prefer Smith & Wesson, other people hate them. Berretta's are another nice feeling gun, but again its what you like and how "your" hand fits it.

If money were no object I'd probably get an HK or a Sig Sauer. If price is a consideration I'd probably get a Taurus PT92.

Glock is indeed the default choice, but people either seem to love or hate them. If you shoot one, you will quickly know which group you fall into. Sig Sauer and HK are the two other brands I take seriously for reliability, but they're not cheap. Neither is your life. The Germans and Austrians gun makers set the highest standards.

If it's a self-defense gun, look for a gun range in your area where you can rent a variety of handguns and test them out. Maybe friends will let you try their guns. If you can, try to avoid buying a handgun you have never fired.

Oops, sorry I missed the part where you had already fired the Glock for your CHL...

Last edited:
When the NYPD finally went over from 38's to 9mm the rookies had a choice between Glock, Sig, and SW. The Sig was the most expensive and therefore the least chosen. Most went for the Glock with SW second.
They should have allowed Baretta too, like the military.

I have been through several calibers, brands, actions etc. I run around 1500 rounds through pistol a week for several years mostly 22 lr of course shooting Rugers, and S&W Model 41 target shooting. I also ran over 1000 rounds of rifle ammo a week for several years, to say I was a gun enthusiast is putting it mild LOL not mild on the wallet by any means however. I chose Glock over all the concealed carry pistols I have been through for a couple of reasons, one being I have a horrible tendency to rust anything I touch... I have found ways around this via special dry lube oils etc.. however Glock fits me perfect with the benefit of severe corrosion resistance from the weapon design itself. I agree with others you need to try on a few before making a decision, also don't by compact just because you think you can conceal it better... many many times one step up (speaking of glock mid sized models) you get more magazine capacity, and much much better control.. then they have this fall back that the magazine capacity is the same between compact, and mid size model pay close attention here as the magazine extends beyond the grip which gives you the exact same magazine capacity with the loss of muzzle control, handling comfort, and when you strap it on it's the exact same dimension when trying to conceal even though it may look better on paper.

I had a colt Gov Model ( I forget it now it's been so long ago, it was however the expensive 380 small scaled down version of the 45) that was a outstanding conceal carry weapon, however some lowlife lifted it from me. I really enjoyed that pistol, I could have replaced it, however it did have some short comings.

I chose/choose a Glock 23 for my concealed carry piece, I prefer the 40 S&W myself, and I couple that with a alessi holster which will set you back 75-125 smakers.

When you do purchase your concealed carry piece, practice with it.. practice makes almost perfect, don't start looking for a trouble situation in every corner.. thinking up situations that may arise every day etc, practice shooting it as much as possible 100 rounds a week would be a good start, and 9mm has the advantage of getting cheap ammo for... however also be familiar with the ammo you choose to carry for protection as well.

It may very well take you 5 pistols or more to decide what you want, I prefer a semi-auto, however I have nothing against revolvers... but when I was putting those 1k amount of rounds down range during the week it was with an semi-auto, so naturally I leaned towards that... I still have no problem with a revolver, and S&W makes a excellent lightweight that I also carried for a long time... I think they even chamber in 9mm for revolver if I'm not mistaken which would be a great choice.

I'll like a bottle of your finest cheapest wine, lol.

How about a High-Point... only $150
9MMhandgun.jpg

But as stated earlier, there's are so many options out there. Just take your time and find the one that fits.
My suggestions would be Glock, S&W M&P, and Springfield Armory XD (in that order).

Depends if you want to buy new or used. In this economy, you might find someone dumping some really good guns.

I picked up a fairly new Sig P239 9mm some 10 years ago for $350 that included extra mags, holster, and grips.

I think the Stoeger Cougar is a lot of gun for the money. Academy sells them for $399 in 9mm and 40 S&W around here. They're not small or light, though.

+1 on the good deals to be had on used guns. I got a LNIB 2004 build Browning Hi Power Practical over the weekend for $450.

Originally Posted By: Win
I think the Stoeger Cougar is a lot of gun for the money. Academy sells them for $399 in 9mm and 40 S&W around here. They're not small or light, though.

+1 on the good deals to be had on used guns. I got a LNIB 2004 build Browning Hi Power Practical over the weekend for $450.

That IS a GOOD price!

Around here, most of the used guns are not so much of a deal. Make sure you KNOW the market and pricing!

I've seen Glocks on our local web site classifieds go for close to a new one at the local Sportsman warehouse/Cabela's.

Photos of the Hi power please!
48.gif
(in another thread so we don't hijack this one)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back