97 f-150 transmission

Status
Not open for further replies.
If I drain the torque converter as well as the pan, what is the proper technique for the refill? Do I fill the pan, start, shut off, refill pan?

Lube gard is at Oriellys or Napa store, make sure u look at the Lubegard bottle closely, one of those bottles u can not use on fords,,,,XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX read those labels

Actually, I have another Question, would going 50/50 on merc/merc V cause any issues? I plan to do some semi regular t-fluid changes now that I will have a drain plug, and dont know if the merc V expense will be of that great of a benefit ( that transmission holds like 14 Q). It is speced for Merc, and I am thinking of going with ST for this initial drain and fill.

************* read the LG red, Fords are different, please read the LG label RED, I got the box in front of me( DO NOT USE IN FORD TYPE F ATF AND CVT ) There is an alternate LG bottle made for Fords on the shelf.****************************************************************************************************************************

Last edited:
After draining/cleaning pan & torque converter and reinstalling pan, & tq bolt, dump in 5-6 qts ATF. Start truck, and install 10qts while the truck is running so it pumps the fluid into the torque converter. Check the fluid...may have to add some.

If I remember right my '97 took Dextron III/Mercon V...which is the most common type of trans fluid.

E40D/4R100 transmission is the only one that has a torque converter drain plug...which is sweet. Ford stopped making the torque converter w/drain plug on the E40D/4R100 transmissions in 2002 I believe.

Originally Posted By: cafasco
After draining/cleaning pan & torque converter and reinstalling pan, & tq bolt, dump in 5-6 qts ATF. Start truck, and install 10qts while the truck is running so it pumps the fluid into the torque converter. Check the fluid...may have to add some.

If I remember right my '97 took Dextron III/Mercon V...which is the most common type of trans fluid.

E40D/4R100 transmission is the only one that has a torque converter drain plug...which is sweet. Ford stopped making the torque converter w/drain plug on the E40D/4R100 transmissions in 2002 I believe.

What I do is add six quarts, then I start the truck and SHIFT through all the gears. DO NOT WORRY, it will not engage all the gears. You just want to get the fluid moving in the transmission so that you can fill it properly. After you do this, get it warm and in park (running), and see how much fluid is on the stick, and add the appropriate amount. I leave the truck running when I add the fluid, it won't hurt a thing. I have done this about a dozen times, i've owned at least 5 4r70w cars.

My f150 had the 4r70w transmission, if you have a 4r100 then check your manual, there is a warning not to use Mercon V, only Mercon. The 4r70w has been speced to run Mercon V, if it isn't in the manual then there is a TSB that recommends the upgraded fluid.

The 97-98 will have a drain plug for sure, unless the converter was replaced at some time. The replacement converters do not have a drain plug (bean counters). The reason they do this is to save money, also ford uses a rotunda flush machine to service this transmission, they do not drain the converter like you would at home.

Im going to try to do this tomorrow now. I went with a gallon of maxlife and the remainder SuperTech Merc V. Going out to find the LG and get the filter/gasket today, Im excited, this will be my first attempt at transmission service!

Originally Posted By: JustinH
My f150 had the 4r70w transmission, if you have a 4r100 then check your manual, there is a warning not to use Mercon V, only Mercon. The 4r70w has been speced to run Mercon V, if it isn't in the manual then there is a TSB that recommends the upgraded fluid.on, they do not drain the converter like you would at home.

old info, Mercon V can now be used in the E4OD and 4R100 without issue.

Mercon is no longer licensed by FORD, and FORD issued a TSB stating to use Mercon V in all of the former Mercon applications.
A great, easy to find fluid would be Mobil 1 ATF.
A synthetic is the way to go.
I believe that a Mercon V fluid will be at least a semi-synthetic.
I have been using Redline D4 in my Mercon application for a while, and it has been fine.....was using Mobil 1 ATF before that.
Redline is more expensive and not easy to find on the shelf (speed shops sell it), I get mine online.
However, you will be fine with Mobil 1 or most any other quality name Mercon V rated ATF.
Your FORD dealership might have the Motorcraft Mercon V at a good price.....worth checking with them.

The "cooler line" fluid exchange that several have recommended is SUPER easy to do.
What I have done is to measure the amount that I pump out......and add the same amount of fresh fluid to match what I pump out.
I do the cooler line exchage 1 time a year and drop the pan with filter replacement every other year on my '96 windstar (known for tranny issues).

When doing the cooler line fluid exchange......I direct the flow into the container as mentioned by folks above....however, I have a clear hose that I slide over the line that I am draining from......so I can see the fluid flow.
I start the motor and let it idle.....fluid draining out until my container is full or I see the flow significantly slow or bubbles appear in the fluid....then I shut off the motor......fill with fresh fluid in the amount that I drained......and repeat the process.....until I have gone through about 2 quarts more than the capacity of my system.....so for my 12.25 quart system, I go through 14 quarts.
Then I connect the cooler line back up....make sure that the clamp is snug
Idle the car in PARK....shift through the gears
Return to PARK.....motor at idle....on level ground and verify the ATF level on the dipstick.

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
Originally Posted By: JustinH
My f150 had the 4r70w transmission, if you have a 4r100 then check your manual, there is a warning not to use Mercon V, only Mercon. The 4r70w has been speced to run Mercon V, if it isn't in the manual then there is a TSB that recommends the upgraded fluid.on, they do not drain the converter like you would at home.

old info, Mercon V can now be used in the E4OD and 4R100 without issue.

Thanks for that. I love how they change their minds after putting in big bold print DO NOT USE MERCON V in the 4R100 transmission.

Is it because Motorcraft is phasing out the Mercon fluid, and the only thing left is Mercon V?

Just to clarify a little more: Yeah...I agree on shifting the tranny though all the gears after putting the normal service qty back in the clean pan (follow the manual; likely 6 qts). Intall 10qts will running in park as the trans pump will be moving the fluid in the pan into the tq converter. Check fluid. check fluid. check fluid. Check it again afer driving around the block a couple times. check it again the next day after a commute just to make sure your good to go.

Use whatever fluid your manual calls for...same as Dextron III I'm sure. I would not spend the extra on syth ATF (unless you are towing at max capacity 90-100% in 100*+ temps), particularly if you have a trans cooler and do a FULL (tq converter too) every 50K...30K if towing a lot. If you don't have a trans cooler, install one. The E40D/4R100 is a really stout unit. Ford has the best/toughest 1/2ton drive train IMO.

I like Bulkpart.com for trans coolers and equipment.

Get a nice large one, I like the hayden coolers.

If you choose to buy a cooler, try to use as little rubber cooler line as possible. The stuff could kink and starve the transmission (been there done that), or leak (again, been there).

If I were installing one, it would be hardline. Invest in a good flare tool, and tubing bender.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back