Delo 400 Shell Rotella T

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can this oil be used in older engines with the in block camshafts , I heard this oil has more anti wear additives that the oil companies took out of the oil they make today so the oil will not harm cats on newer cars , will the delo and rotella oil foam more with non diesel higher RPM engines? or what oil is best for older engings with flat tappet cams? thanks.

Hey, pal ..if meets SL specs ..and you have an engine that spec's SL (or previous "S" spec) oil ..it's good to go in your engine.
smile.gif

The poison cat crap is for the paranoid Euros and some of the Asian crowd that have ridiculously expensive cats.

If you are one of these teutonic high tension types (or whatever the asian equivalent would be) ..don't use it. You will literally lose sleep over it and add all kinds of stress to your life.

Sure can! I use Delo in my 68 327, 71 350, and 302 chevy's. I have Castrol Hypuron in a couple old Ford gas pots as well.

Diesel oil's typically have a lot of anti foam additives, esp. for new HEUI fuel systems. Pre cat fine, if you do have a cat and don't burn oil great, run any of the fine HDEO on the market. I like the 5w40 HDEO in my gas engines, but use 15w40 in warmer climates/months with no problems yet.

Patrick
cheers.gif

Hi Gary,

quote:

The poison cat crap is for the paranoid Euros and some of the Asian crowd that have ridiculously expensive cats.

lol.gif

Well, I am gonna pour Delvac 1 in my Audi 80 1.6 next time I change the oil! Shall I keep a new cat in store?
rolleyes.gif

I will ask the dealership about VW's opinion of CI-4 PLus/SL rated oil
dunno.gif

Same here Titan. I have used a ton of different oils in my honda 250 rebel. This bike was my ex-boyfriends mom's bike. It had 13,900 miles on it when I got it. I ride it on the weekends amd evenings and stuff. I love long rides. hundred plus just around and about on a free day is nothing. I used a bunch of oils. I used some bike oils even but I would get five hundred miles on it and it would become a bear to shift. I ran rotella t syn 5W-40 in it and really liked it. But felt it might be a little thin so I use a 15W-40. Delvac was good. So was Rotella. Right now it has Delo 400 in it. I put three hundred miles on it in a day that last ride. I had changed the oil the night before. I had rotella in it and put the delo in. I love the delo better then anything that was in it. rotella syn was second. Then it is delvac. And last rotella.

quote:

Well, I am gonna pour Delvac 1 in my Audi 80 1.6 next time I change the oil! Shall I keep a new cat in store?

Shhh!!! Some will think you don't deserve to drive it if you aren't a teutonic OCD type. You obviously don't have your priorities in order
grin.gif

Gary, what if they only knew that:

1. I have NOT yet got the rust fixed.
rolleyes.gif

2. I have NOT yet replaced the rear break hoses and the intake manifold gasket.
rolleyes.gif

3. I have NOT yet found a new non-leaking transmission.
rolleyes.gif

What would they think then?
crushedcar.gif

Don't worry ...even if you're shunned by the elite of
Audi ownership ..there's still room for you on BITOG
grin.gif

Don't listen to those little references to "AOINO" (Audi Owner In Name Only). Sticks and stones type stuff, you know??
nono.gif

tongue.gif

Go to the VOA (virgin oil analysis) and you will see that delo has tons of moly, the anti-wear additive that will keep your valve train from wearing down, as well much more of the other anti-wear additives and detergents than almost any synthetic except for Redline.

Thanks for the info. Is there a better oil for older engines besides delo or rotella T? I am looking for the best protection for flat tappet cams. Also what is a better oil rotella or delo?

[ December 27, 2005, 12:16 PM: Message edited by: e anderson ]

I would think Delo or Rotella would be excellent oils for what you describe, but you'll have to watch the viscosities. What you need, really, is just a boost to the basic additive pack of the oil. It seems many of the SM oils have begun using Moly to compensate for the lower levels of extreme-pressure additives, and that by itself is probably enough, especially if you use a well-fortified SM oil like Havoline. If you want extra peace of mind, you could mix in even just a quart or two of a good HDEO oil, or you could use an oil boost additive like Valvoline Synthetic Oil Treatment (VSOT), or if the viscosities were appropriate you could go to a full 15W-40 HDEO like Delo. All are good options. I am running about 50/50 Delo 15W-40 and Havoline 5W-30 in my older BMW right now, which specs very heavy oils generally.

- Glenn

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back