A1 Cardone Select Water Pumps

Status
Not open for further replies.
Paid $22 for one for a '91 Plymouth Grand Voyager SE 3.3 today. It's new and comes with a lifetime warranty.

The O-Ring was about half the thickness of the OE one. It didn't even fit tightly in the groove like the OE one did. I applied Permatex Water Pump and Thermostat silicone sealer to both sides of the O-Ring prior to install and it didn't leak. The edge of the pump was also scuffed. Finished up the job with a Goodyear Gatorback belt and Prestone All Makes coolant.

Anyway, has anyone used one of these pumps before? How's the longevity?

I personally have had some really bad experiences with Cardone's product over the course of 16 yrs time. Nothing seems to work/last as long as it should be: from reman power steering pump that whines (brand new, RMA'ed twice) to water pump that failed within 16000kms, to re-man distributor unit that would leak in 2 yr's time.

Bottomline: I'm not a big fan of Cardone if you are to ask for my opinion. For mission-critical application such as water pump in all the import vehicles I've serviced, I typically choose Nissin waterpump (aftermarket) over any domestic rebrands any given day.

My 2c's worth.

The failure rate of Cardone pumps is too high for use on a valve bender like Honda/Nissan. We tried a few when we were in a pinch and needed a pump quickly. All of them had to be replaced far before the 90K interval for the t-belt. It's just too critical of a part to take a chance and better pumps are not any more expensive in most cases.

Yes and in a case like this lifetime warranty doesn't mean a whole lot. The cost of the part is negligible compared to the labor to replace it.

Quote:

Yes and in a case like this lifetime warranty doesn't mean a whole lot. The cost of the part is negligible compared to the labor to replace it.

Yep. When I only want to do it once, I buy a good part to begin with, not something that will only last half as long as it should.

Quote:

Flat rate to R/R the water pump on that vehicle is 1.0 hours. But it was free since I did the work this time. I was about to throw away the receipt for the water pump as he said that he isn't going to worry about it, but after reading the replies in this thread, good thing I saved it as I think he'll need it.
mad.gif
crazy.gif

OTOH,, over the years I've had almost 0 comebacks when using A1. For years here in a small town with a single parts store they were my ONLY option. Won't hesitate to use them in the future either.

Bob

Going by memory but it's possible the "A1" line is the budget line....

may be a rebuilt vice new part.

Ah hah!!! From the Cardone Web site:

"A1 CARDONE, our brand of remanufactured parts, and CARDONE Select, our brand of totally new parts"

There yah' go. Depending upon what the one selling you the part told you, you may want to reconsider doing biz with them again.

"There yah' go. Depending upon what the one selling you the part told you, you may want to reconsider doing biz with them again".

Up untill very recently A1 Cardone was remanufactured only. Never represented as anything else. Never had a problem with reman, either in service or as sellable product.

Bob

I have heard quite a few horror story about cardone parts not fitting right on honda-tech. If they were much cheaper than other brand I can understand.

However, when more reputable company like TRW and AC Delco are charging just 25% more on a $60 part, I would feel more comfortable using them rather than a reman from a not so reputable company.

For domestics you have no choice in what you get. They are all made in China and the bearings are questionable. I've had low mileage new fenco china water pumps fail by siezing. Infact my mother-inlaws New FENCO water pump siezed completely stranding her till I picked her up and got a tow truck to tow it to my shop.

For Japanese cars I will never use a "new" chinese made pump. I'll typically use an OE japanese pump or NPW. I've never had one leak!!!

Premature failure in Chinese water pumps is common IMO.

The water pump I bought from AutoZone for my GM 3.1L engine was not made in China unless the made in xxx was forged which is entirely plausible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back