Wix (Napa Gold) leaking at crimp seam.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Been using Napa Gold 1085's on my 4.0L Jeep motor for sometime now.The number on the dome of the filters are 102706C1 then below that number is this number 08:07 and these filters are leak free.Put on a filter with number 072106C1 then number below that one is 10:25 and it leaked at the crimp seam pretty bad.I've been watching it for a couple of days now and viewing a Jeep filter is pretty easy and it's NOT the gasket at the block it's the seam around the filter that is crimped to the base.Put another filter on with the first number and will get back to the board...Pete C. whatzup wit dat?

I still have it.The last time this happened was with a Wix filter also. Pete C. told me,from the code on the dome,that it was a ten year old filter that I had recently purchased at my local Napa dealer.The latex sealer ,used to seal the crimp, was probably going and thats why it leaked.

Quote:

Nothing made on earth is defect-free. Wix parts/assembly quality is above average.

I'll still use and trust Napa filters this is just a little FYI in case someone else has a filter with the same production numbers.

Quote:

How exactly is the date code on the top of the filter deciphered?

Here's the important part:

NAPA 3281 Fuel filter

081905F2 - 21:16

8/15/05(Plant/line, IIRC) 9:16pm

Yep... just checked the 08:07 filter and it's dry.Going for a road trip this week up north for a little R&R and off roading.Don't need a leaky oil filter to bug me...my wife will be there for that(just kidding)see you all in a week!

Have a good time!
smile.gif

I'm back and had a great time.Bought another Napa Gold up north with a different dome number and will use that one next oil change.The 08:07 is leak free!

Quote:

I'm back and had a great time.Bought another Napa Gold up north with a different dome number and will use that one next oil change.The 08:07 is leak free!

I had a problem on my jeep 4.0L, thought it was the filter crimp, come to find out it was the oil filter adapter O rings, they dry out and compress over time and leak mostly in cold weather.

Quote:

Quote:

I had a problem on my jeep 4.0L, thought it was the filter crimp, come to find out it was the oil filter adapter O rings, they dry out and compress over time and leak mostly in cold weather.

My Cherokee has the adapter to angle the oil filter but my TJ does not,the filter screws right onto the block,and it's the TJ I'm talking about...but thanks anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back