European equivalents of high zddp oils

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all,

First post here.. Fascinating site.

I've spent some time going through the archives and can't find exactly what I am looking for.

I have a DeTomaso Pantera GT5-S, powered by a, ahem, somewhat modified Ford 351C. I live in Spain. The cam is a solid lifter flavor, and I'm trying to determine what type of oil to use to protect the engine from the new, low zddp oils.

If I were living in the US, I'd probably go with Shell Rotella T, or Chevron Delo, or something along those lines. But those do not exist in Europe. Shell, for example, has two product lines - Helix and Rimula. In the brochure for Rimula, it goes on about it being a new formula to protect particle filters in the latest diesels - so I take it I need to avoid this like the plague.

My questions - Does anyone know if Shell Helix is the same as Shell Rotella?
Does anyone have a recommendation for a high zddp oil that is available in Europe?
The MSDS for Shell Helix states that it contains 0.5% to 2% zddp. Is it normal to have such a range? What is the minimum content recommended to protect a solid lifter system?

I'm sure I'll have more questions, but I appreciate the help.

Cheers!

go with diesel oil or better yet racing oils that have a full additive package...i.e.these are synthetics of course:torco,redline,motul synergyn,delvac 1, shell rotella, and schaeffers 9000

Quote:

go with diesel oil or better yet racing oils that have a full additive package...i.e.these are synthetics of course:torco,redline,motul synergyn,delvac 1, shell rotella, and schaeffers 9000

Part of the problem is that I can't find any of the oils you cite. I can't find a Delvac, but I can find another Mobil diesel oil. I can't find a Shell Rotella, but I can find a Shell Helix. I'm hoping that someone will know that Shell Helix is the same as Rotella, for example, or that Mobil Whatsit is the same as Delvac.

Failing that, my backup plan is to simply use a name brand diesel synthetic, but I'd feel better knowing that that particular brand has a healthy content of zddp

Shell's HDEO is called Shell Rimula here in Europe. Shell Rimula Signia and Shell Rimula Super FE are both CI-4 and 10W-40. Delvac1 should be available in Spain but if it's like here it's not easy to find (ExxonMobil oil depot or places they sell/service large trucks).

Quote:

Shell's HDEO is called Shell Rimula here in Europe.

Thanks for the reply. That's surprising, as I had discounted Rimula based on phrases like:

"Rimula Signia offers operators the same class-leading levels of durability and oil-life as Rimula Ultra but now includes additional benefits to operators of vehicles fitted with exhaust particulate filters".

From my admittedly limited understanding of the zddp issue, the benefit to the exhaust filters comes by lowering the zddp content, which is what I am trying to avoid.

What the owner's manual calls for is a little irrelevant as the engine has been highly modified. The stock engine had hydraulic lifters, and the current has solid, for example.

DeTomaso owner's manuals aren't really highly researched and accurate documents anyway...

hmmmmmm. Is the CI-4 Rimula also acea A1 or A3 spec? If yes then that's the recipe for you. If not, then do you know of another oil that is labeled "fleet oil" meaning it meets both diesel and acea A1 or A3 specifications?

Rimula Sigina:
ACEA E7/E6/E4, API CI-4/CH-4/CG-4/CF-4, Mercedes-Benz 228.51 228.5, MAN M 3477 M 3277, DAF (ACEA E4), Cummins CES 20077, Mack EO-M Plus, Caterpillar ECF-1.

Rimula Super FE:
ACEA E7/E5/E3, API CI-4/CH-4/CG-4/CF-4 DHD-1. Cummins CES 20071/72/75/76/77/78, Mercedes-Benz 228.3, MAN M 3275, Mack EO-M Plus, RVI RLD, Volvo VDS-2, GM Allison C-4, DAF HP2.

Charles, I have looks at the specs of both Helix and Rotella T synthetic online and they are different formulations.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back