UOA on THF

Status
Not open for further replies.
Later this year, I'm going to have a sample of the THF in my Farmall tractor analyzed (Blackstone) and I wonder if there are any special tips or tricks I should know about. The usual analysis plus TBN is enough? Or is there a special test for this oil? It will have only about 80 hours but three seasons (including this one) on it.. all working hard.

I put a generic THF in my Farmall rather than HyTran, for which I am being verbally abused unmercifully by the IH tractor guys. I want to see how the Tractor Supply brand has held up. I'm hoping test results, good or bad, will end it... either by me finally bowing at the feet of the HyTran Deity
bowdown2.gif
, or giving me a piece of paper to shut people up.
banana.gif

Plus, I'd just like to know!
hornets_nest.gif

I would guess that the oil quality not the name branded is the most important aspect. Is HyTran the oil International makes?
smirk.gif
smirk.gif
smirk.gif

TBN is only needed on engine oils. For industrial oils, gear oils and hydraulic oils you need a TAN test.

Below is a listing for virgin UTHO or Universal Tractor Hydraulic oil for comparison..

TAN – 1.8 ±0.2
TBN – 1.6 to 10.7
S% - 0.35 ±0.15
P% - 0.12 ±0.01
Zinc - 0.14%
Boron – 0.01%

Ca – 0.39% ±0.01
OR
Mg – 0.35% Optional (Averages 3-4,000 ppm)

Silicon Anti-Foam – 20 ppm

EP add pack 10%
Ashless dispersant 0.5%
VII – 3.5% to 7.5% depending on starting oil’s viscosity and add pack

Kinematic Viscosity @100 C - 9.5 to 10.5 cSt
KV@40 C - 65 to – 68

Thanks, Mola!

You wouldn't also happen to have the same info on the vaunted Case/IH HyTran, would you?

Jim, is HyTran Ultra not price-competitive for you? I always got the "big scare" from the Case dealers in the 7140 and MX270, but in reality their engine and transmission fluids were very price-competitive. It'll be interesting to see what the UOA says.

The HyTran oils were rather dear around here (I don't mean "Deere" but dear... oh dear!)

My Case/IH dealer had bulk, but it wasn't much better pricewise and it wasn't HyTran... it was Mystik. Tractor Supply had a well announced sale. There normal price was a little better than Case-IH but the sale tipped the balance since I had to buy 25 gallons. I'm not married to any brand, I just want the "mostest for the leastest." I find the best value in the middle priced oils and then look for them on sale. So far, my tractor is working great on the TS oil. I noted a big improvement after changing out the ancient stuff that was in there (a recently purchased older tractor). The filter dated to the 1980s! The oil had begun reverting back to a dinosaur!

I give up. What's NSSF?

Numbers vary from brand. From the boron in those specs above I'd assume it is a group I oil. Group II oils normally don't need it.
At the bottom of this page is a graph with Detergent and anti-wear levels for 7 different tractor oils. I've never analyzed the Case product, but I have hundreds of Case tractors on the first oil on the chart.

http://www.widman.biz/Seleccion/Tractores/tractores.html

It's been a few month since the last update; Jim - got the UOA done yet? I'm running a TSC/Rual King Citgo manufactured UTHF as well.

Not yet, but thanks for the reminder. If the weather gets suddently bad, I may have to stall off that tractor's service until spring.

BTW, how do you know the TSC is Citgo? I have searched and searched trying to find out who makes it? Tell me what you know!!

To be honest, I don't recall the exact source of my info. I am fairly sure I read it on this site some time ago when someone posted the info. As I recall, someone was verbally bashing Citgo because of the anti-American message of the oil's country of origin. To me, I'm more concerned about the oil than politics. Not that politics don't matter, but I'm not convinced that South & Central American oil politics are any better/worse than Middle East oil politics. Anyway ...

TSC and Rural King have their own brands of course (made by outside sources) , but they also carry the Mystik brand; I'm failry sure that it's Citgo as well because you can find direct info about Mystik on the Citgo sub-sites.

Overall, I have no PROOF that TSC and RK are Citgo; just repeating something that someone posted, and IIRC there was a manufacturer's link for brands.

Doesn't matter to me though. I'll all about the UOA and $$$. If I can get good performance out of the TSC Traveller brand, I'm all for it. It's a good price and very well distributed, and therefore easy to find in quantity.

Most (all?) of the companies testing hydraulic oil seem to do a good job on the oil chemistry; what they give should be ok. You want to have the particulate contamination reported; some do it as a standard part of the analysis, some charge extra, some don't have the capability.

What you "need" to see depends on pressure and components and on the life you want to see; with the very light use you are giving it, look for a reported 19/17/14 ISO or better. Lower numbers are better. I hate those websites with frames that block "deep links" ... go to http://www.hydacusa.com/broch.htm ten pull down filters then select ISO target cleanliness guidelines on the left. It is a 2 page pdf. Other filter manufacturers offer similar sheets.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back