Ford 4.6 lubrication problems

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a question about lubrication problems on Ford 4.6 engines. I have three Crown Vics and they all have a dry rattle on startup after about 1500 miles on an oil change. This is using Motorcraft 5w20 syn blend and the motorcraft filter. Is this normal for this engine. The 03 has 95k on it, The 04 has 45k on it and 11k on the new Ford engine, replaced under warrenty, and the 05 has 13k on it and sounds likes it heading towards a new engine. All have gotten routine oil changes at 3k-3.5k. Any thoughts or ideas.
Is it worth moving back to 5w30 oil, I sold a 94 CV with 196k on it and it always used 5w30, it just like to drink oil through the valve seals, but no dry rattle.

I think this is normal. I think I read that it is the hydraulic cam chain tensioners getting up to pressure.

Its normal. But, this does't mean that you couldn't experiment.

Check you oil level. Keep it full.
Try a 5w30 blend or full synth. Since Mobil1 seems to be a noisy oil, I would try the blends or full synths from Qs, Pzl, Castrol, or Valvoline.

Try a different brand of oil filter at your next Motorcraft 5w20 change. Napa Gold, Carquest premium, Bosch, STP, Fram Toughgard....are some worth trying.

its completely normal. i have had 4 cars with this motor and they all do it. the oversized filters are not an option due to the placement of the filter in reation to the steering rack or inner tie rods on a crown vic. you can do a remote mount if you want to use the larger ford filter.

Thank you for the replies. I should probably clarify this a little more. I have tried a lot of different filters and the results are almost the same. After an oil and filter change the engine is very quiet on start up. You can hear the tensioner pump up, but it's not really at rattle. But after about 900-1600 miles on the oil & filter the engine starts to rattle on start up for 1-3 seconds, if I don't change the filter within a hundred miles or so, the noise progresses to a rod knock. I have done UOA's on the oil and when I dig them out I will post them. All three of these engines shear the 5w20 down to a 10wt at 100cst in 3k miles. No fuel dilution recorded. I have used amsoil, pennzoil, motorcraft, and am currently trying schaeffers 5w20 (cool green color). On the oil filters after the rattle starts, I change the filter and the rattle goes away. The length of time before it starts again depends on the filter. Motorcraft 1.4k, pure one 600 miles, Eao 1.5k, supertech 200 miles, napa gold 1.4k, carqueat blue (wix) 1.5k, mobil 900 miles. On the 04 Crown I took it to the dealer with the same complaint at 30k, they said no problem, it was in the middle of an OCI, by the end of the OCI, the rods or crank knocked for 5-10 seconds before they quieted down, oil pressure idiot gauge said I had oil pressure 1 second after start, but you couldn't tell by the engine noise. They torn down the engine, said there where grooves in the crank and bearings and several of the cam journals where scored. They replaced the motor with a rebuilt, no crate engine was available at the time. Now it's half way through a dealer done oil change with 10.9k on the rebuilt and it's rattling again. It driving me crazy. I can't blame it on driving style/conditions as I don't drive the 05 it's the GF's DD, the 03 is my DD, and the 04 is the weekend car, we both drive. I would have to remote the filter to go to a larger size, not my first choice. Would a pre-oiler be worth considering.? I think the oil shears down enough to loose prime at the pump, but it's just a guess.

With all those problems, I'd try another kind of car. Short of that try a good synthetic 5w30. At least is it shears it will be a 20 weight.

I have a 4.6 in a 1998 Gran. Marq. does the same thing on start up. First noticed it with a M1 filter. Currently running Amsoil ASL 5w30.Somedays it does it and some days there is no noise.
Go Figure.

Id try a thicker oil if you already tried the filters. Try MC 5w30 its on the thicker side or even a 10w30 it wont hurt it. I have a 02 Lincoln with the 4.6 Intech and it is super smooth at start up the only time it sounds rough is if I try putting the 87 gas it, it likes the mid or premium which you could try also. I have used MC 5w30 in my car and MC 5w20 and noticed it to be noiser with the 5w20.

Since it occurs after 1500 or so miles, it would seem to indicate that the oil is shearing [timing chains?] and thinning.
I'd try Motorcraft 5-30 and see what happens.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back